• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you non-Ivy Leaguers feel inadequate?

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
In the end, it's always about the clothes.
Not that kind of lawyer. Too bad, as I wouldn't mind doing some indigent defense work. One can only have so many shirts, and I'm quite happy with what I fished out of Henri Piscine and from Noiret.

Don't *****, at least you have an H&K store where you live, I'm relegated to buy CT shirts due to the damn exchange rate / lack of H&K sales on this side of the pond.

Jon.

CTGuy

Made Guy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bslo
Response to CtGuy:

It always amuses me how some non-Ivy Leaguers make obviously stupid conclusions based mostly on anecdotal evidence about how they have been unimpressed with the Ivy Leaguers they have met.

Why is it so stupid? I guess I just need to trust you? My own experiences going to school with Ivy league grads, working at an ivy league institution, and working with ivy league grads needs to be disregarded because it's not scientific? Come to your own conclusions-- that's totally fine, but I feel totally justified in my point of view even if it is "stupid".

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CTGuy
Was that for Feynman?

Feynman wasn't at Cal. Parking spaces are much better than what UCSB did for its physics Nobel Prize winner a couple of years ago: a big plastic sign hung across one of its buildings that said "Congratulations Nobel Prize Winners!" Classy.

Architecturally, I think the east coast schools as a group have got it more together than the west coast schools.

--Andre

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Andre Yew
Architecturally, I think the east coast schools as a group have got it more together than the west coast schools.

--Andre

Harvard and Yale have their moments, but overall don't do it for me. Columbia is spectacular. UVA is also lovely.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Stanfurd looks like an office park for Initech.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Andre Yew
Feynman wasn't at Cal. Parking spaces are much better than what UCSB did for its physics Nobel Prize winner a couple of years ago: a big plastic sign hung across one of its buildings that said "Congratulations Nobel Prize Winners!" Classy.

--Andre

Well, yeah:

harvard.jpg

Jon.

bslo

Reaction score
Why is it so stupid? I guess I just need to trust you? My own experiences going to school with Ivy league grads, working at an ivy league institution, and working with ivy league grads needs to be disregarded because it's not scientific? Come to your own conclusions-- that's totally fine, but I feel totally justified in my point of view even if it is "stupid".

Well, your original post wasn't exactly a model of clarity and seemed to be based more on emotion than logic (I could have sworn that I heard you grinding your teeth when you wrote it). So it would be helpful if you stated your claim precisely. Who knows, it might not be as ridiculous as some of the language in your first post made it seem.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If we wanna talk pretty campuses, let's talk about Pepperdine.

Georgetown, Colgate & Vassar are also gorgeous.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
People get into ivy league schools because of what they did in high school (and money, connections, etc.). 'nuff said.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Never been there. Have you been to Cambridge, Mass? Jon.
Yeah and IMO Harvard is not all that great.

CTGuy

Made Guy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bslo
Well, your original post wasn't exactly a model of clarity and seemed to be based more on emotion than logic (I could have sworn that I heard you grinding your teeth when you wrote it). So it would be helpful if you stated your claim precisely. Who knows, it might not be as ridiculous as some of the language in your first post made it seem.

Ha! I wrote the first post pretty unemotionally...maybe you were the one grinding your teeth? Maybe I should have considered how thought out my argument would have to be to suggest that the golden calf of the Ivy League is something of a false god... I thought people wouldn't really have taken issue quite as much as they did.

bslo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Never been there. Have you been to Cambridge, Mass?

Jon.

Completely different architecture (obviously). I really like both.

Pepperdine has incredible views of the Pacific. Actually, one school with a beautiful campus that doesn't get enough publicity is UC Santa Cruz.

bslo

Reaction score
Ha! I wrote the first post pretty unemotionally...maybe you were the one grinding your teeth? Maybe I should have considered how thought out my argument would have to be to suggest that the golden calf of the Ivy League is something of a false god... I thought people wouldn't really have taken issue quite as much as they did.

Well, I trying trying to cut you a break by suggesting that your post was written in the heat of passion. You still haven't precisely stated your claim.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads