• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you non-Ivy Leaguers feel inadequate?

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
This forum is obviously overpopulated by college and post-college people. After a couple of years, nobody gives a **** where you went to college, even you.

+1.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RJman;961317 said:
I've never heard of anyone with an Ivy degree giving someone else grief about not having attended an Ivy League school, outside of something like a Fitzgerald novel.
QUOTE]

I was at a party once where when a small group (3-4 out of 25) of Harvard alumni and current (law) students discovered they were all related, as such, they ignored everyone else to the point of literally ignoring anyone trying to join their conversation. It was rude and clearly based on the school.

It can happen and it is the only time I've seen it happen. Could be coincidence since I've plenty of perfectly nice Ivy-educated folks.

b

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
If by losers you mean hippies, I have to somewhat disagree. No one at Brown is actually a hippy or remotely bohemian. The school is riddled by more Long Island kids in North Face fleeces and Burberry scarves than anything else. Only the really rich kids get all granola, and only until they graduate.
Why should loser = hippy? You're betraying your U. Chicago side. Tch tch tch...

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
rdawson808;961368 said:
Originally Posted by RJman
I've never heard of anyone with an Ivy degree giving someone else grief about not having attended an Ivy League school, outside of something like a Fitzgerald novel.
QUOTE]

I was at a party once where when a small group (3-4 out of 25) of Harvard alumni and current (law) students discovered they were all related, as such, they ignored everyone else to the point of literally ignoring anyone trying to join their conversation. It was rude and clearly based on the school.

It can happen and it is the only time I've seen it happen. Could be coincidence since I've plenty of perfectly nice Ivy-educated folks.

b

Then there are the football chants to inferior schools when said Ivy team is losing badly: "That's alright, that's okay, you'll be working for us some day."

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Why should loser = hippy?

I'm confused. I thought they were synonymous.

You're betraying your Chicago side. Tch tch tch...

I know, I know. Repressing the Brown in me is a real problem. Inevitably, the tide will force the gates open. I'll want to talk about feelings and begin attaching the prefix 'meta' to everything I say. No one will understand me and I'll blame it on their blinding adherence to the patriarchy and Starbucks coffee. Then I'll weep.

I should plant a tree every now and then to keep things under control.

nate10184

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Having gone to a non-ivy thats usually ranked above many of the ivys I would say there's definitely a "Harvard, Princeton, Yale" bias, beyond that not so much.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Repressing the Brown in me is a real problem.
Maybe you need more fibre in your diet. Or are you talking about serving time in prison?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Maybe you need more fibre in your diet. Or are you talking about serving time in prison?

Let me clarify: (1) Brown is all about eating more fiber, so long as it comes from a sustainable crop, and (2) Brown is also all about going to prison, because criminals are victims of the confluent forces that shape them (unless the criminal is wealthy or white).

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
He is a recent graduate of the University of Virginia, a school far from mediocre (to say the least). We got to talking about college and he mentioned that a fair number of his classmates . . . and that they've developed a pretty serious inferiority complex.

I also went to a 'Public Ivy' and have developed an inferiority complex. Maybe he read too much southern literature and Faulkner while at UVA?

Faulkner_big.jpg

Brad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's funny. I hadn't laughed that hard in a while.

iridium7777

Reaction score
probably depends on what field you're in and if you're talking about undergrad/grad school.

in my first job i worked with a bunch of people from mit and cornell and we were all in the same boat. so in that case, no it didn't matter.

where it does probably does matter is what kind of doors it initially opens for you. i'm sure equal gpa and major someone would be more inclined to give an interview to a yale graduated as opposed to some local state school. but, once you're in it's all about personal performance.

Originally Posted by Connemara
I think the whole "Does the Ivy League really matter?" question is settled (it doesn't) but how do you feel about it?

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you feel inadequate, it must be for much more significant reasons than the f**king college you attended. Grow some ba**s and take charge. Or, are you just going to go through life acting like some kind of silly academic victim???

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Can I nominate this for the dumb threads forum? We need some diversity in there anyway. They get boring.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brad
That's funny. I hadn't laughed that hard in a while.
"If it's Brown flush it down!" -- Cornell saying.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As a Balliol man and a Greatsman, it's hard for me to feel "inadequate" to compared to anyone as far as formal education goes. However, I hold formal education in considerable disdain.

Compared to a good plumber, who can do useful stuff like clear clogged pipes and probably makes about three or four times as much money as I do, I feel very inadequate.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads