• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you non-Ivy Leaguers feel inadequate?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This forum is obviously overpopulated by college and post-college people. After a couple of years, nobody gives a **** where you went to college, even you.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
If anyone from an Ivy League ever gave me **** I'd just reply with something along of the lines of "Well, I really didn't even have to go to college, so I wanted to have fun doing it."

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This post reminds me of the joke about the Harvard grad (substitute Ivy league school of choice) and the CCNY grad (substitute non-Ivy league school of choice) in a bathroom, both taking a piss. When both finished, the Harvard guy washes his hands and the CCNY guy heads to the exit. The Harvard guy looks with disdain at the guy from CCNY and says "At Harvard we are taught to wash hands after using the restroom." To which the CCNY guys responds "Well, at CCNY, we are taught not to piss all over our hands."

rimshot.gif

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There's a difference between whether Ivies are actually better than non-Ivies, and whether people feel inadequate for not going to one. There are many excellent schools that aren't in the Ivy League. But, I've met more than a few people who are insecure about the prestige of their undergrad. For better or worse, 'Ivy League' has all sorts of connotations beyond being a set of good schools, and some people are put off or jealous as a result.

I think it would be a stretch to say that most analysts at bulge bracket firms are from Ivy League schools. But, from my understanding, the Ivies are dramatically over-represented. When I was at Brown, Goldman Sachs was the single largest employer of graduating seniors--not direct evidence, I understand, by still suggestive. Someone should dig up the stats on school representation at the big banks; they're out there somewhere.

Some people do impute snobbery onto alumni of Ivy League schools. At law school, you can wear your state university sweatshirt without anyone batting an eyelash--you just come off as a regular guy. But if you wear your Yale or Dartmouth sweatshirt, some jerk is almost guaranteed to say something obnoxious about it.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by marc237
This post reminds me of the joke about the Harvard grad (substitute Ivy league school of choice) and the CCNY grad (substitute non-Ivy league school of choice) in a bathroom, both taking a piss. When both finished, the Harvard guy washes his hands and the CCNY guy heads to the exit. The Harvard guy looks with disdain at the guy from CCNY and says "At Harvard we are taught to wash hands after using the restroom." To which the CCNY guys responds "Well, at CCNY, we are taught not to piss all over our hands."

rimshot.gif

This is a joke about Harvard and Yale, not CCNY. You heard it wrong.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I've never heard of anyone with an Ivy degree giving someone else grief about not having attended an Ivy League school, outside of something like a Fitzgerald novel.

From the OP, it looks like there are plenty of tools in state schools too.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
I've never heard of anyone with an Ivy degree giving someone else grief about not having attended an Ivy League school, outside of something like a Fitzgerald novel.

I've seen that happen before, and invariably the jerk is from Harvard.
smile.gif

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
smile.gif

We must not move in the same circles.

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
smile.gif

Ive seen this happen before as well.hahah

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
b4d34aabf7d146fb7bd512fdfe19a20b.jpg

"Almost got tenure!"

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
That makes a lot more sense. Anyways, I say let Harvard have its football and academics. Yale will always be first in gentlemanly club life.

Jon.

I had no idea that people's idea of the Ivy League is as distorted and as wishful as people's idea of England on the Ask Andy forum.
Originally Posted by manton
[Otto]
Apart from mafoofran, only losers go to Brown. Not as bad as Berkeley, though.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
This forum is obviously overpopulated by college and post-college people. After a couple of years, nobody gives a **** where you went to college, even you.
Exactly. My degrees now sit all alone and dusty in the bottom of a box in my mother's basement, next to the college thesis I thought would win me a Nobel Prize and the copy of that novel I wrote at 19 that I was convinced would win both a National Book Award and a Pulitzer and that is so hilariously bad I don't even have the heart to read it again myself.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
We must not move in the same circles.

Well, to be fair, I'm not saying it happens all the time. I've witnessed it at both of the law firms I've worked at, law school, and at Harvard. At least Princeton people know to keep their snobbery more subtle. At Brown, we're nothing but class.

Originally Posted by ghulkhan
Ive seen this happen before as well.hahah

Yep. I don't get it. Everyone knows Harvard kicks ass. The mystique is diluted by the bragging.

Originally Posted by Manton
b4d34aabf7d146fb7bd512fdfe19a20b.jpg

"Almost got tenure!"

Almost, Manton, but not quite. That should be more than indicative of Brown's selectivity.

Apart from mafoofran, only losers go to Brown. Not as bad as Berkeley, though.

If by losers you mean hippies, I have to somewhat disagree. No one at Brown is actually a hippy or remotely bohemian. The school is riddled by more Long Island kids in North Face fleeces and Burberry scarves than anything else. Only the really rich kids get all granola, and only until they graduate.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads