• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What stereo(s) do you listen to? What do you want?

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tlmusic
What kind of turntable do you have? Or, have you intentionally omitted one from your setup?

peepwall[1].gif

crackup[1].gif

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
No cups?

They were wrapped in tinfoil and therefore undetectable to the camera.

Originally Posted by tlmusic
Beautiful system... I bet it is a joy to listen to!

What kind of turntable do you have? Or, have you intentionally omitted one from your setup?

All of my music is in the form of bits and bytes. I like turntables for their mechanical engineering ingenuity, but could never justify one because I don't own any LPs.

--Andre

tlmusic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Andre Yew
All of my music is in the form of bits and bytes. I like turntables for their mechanical engineering ingenuity, but could never justify one because I don't own any LPs. --Andre
Last month, I was at the musty, dusty used record store sifting through a pile of records, mostly of the same title. They have a listening station, so one can check for quality. One record would have surface noise, another identical looking one would sound dull. Another, an older pressing, would have beautiful presence, but it was abused. The record store is always full of music fans--some cynics, some Luddites, some curiosity seekers. I was complaining to a friend who happened to be in the store. It seemed impossible to get a good copy of the recording I was looking for. He said, "oh, that's all part of the religion--the search for the ultimate pressing." It seems perfectly understandable that even if one had admiration for the sound of LP's, the time and effort of acquiring a good collection could be deemed unnecessarily daunting. Even if one just bought new sealed audiophile pressings, it would take a long time to find the good ones, and many favorites would not be obtainable. For consistency and convenience, bits and bytes come out ahead. But half of the fun is the hunt for the ultimate pressing...

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Even if one just bought new sealed audiophile pressings, it would take a long time to find the good ones, and many favorites would not be obtainable.

For consistency and convenience, bits and bytes come out ahead.

But half of the fun is the hunt for the ultimate pressing...
I agree with all of this. I would have one observation. I assembled a decent collection of 400 LPs in one year's time at some cost to my shoe budget. I spent as much as $65 (A mint Pink Floyd Wish You Were Here Half Speed which is incredible) to as low as $0.25 at Goodwill for some classical. Part of the thrill is finding older, forgotten recordings for cheap or simply overlooked pop/rock records. Once you get into the vinyl game, you don't have to spend much for good music. Most used LPs in Atlanta average $5 or $6 and its a very high resolution format on a good table & cartridge setup.

tlmusic

Reaction score
This is a good thread. Maybe some other members can contribute their stereo stories.

Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
I assembled a decent collection of 400 LPs in one year's time at some cost to my shoe budget. I spent as much as $65 (A mint Pink Floyd Wish You Were Here Half Speed which is incredible) to as low as $0.25 at Goodwill for some classical. Part of the thrill is finding older, forgotten recordings for cheap or simply overlooked pop/rock records. Once you get into the vinyl game, you don't have to spend much for good music. Most used LPs in Atlanta average $5 or $6 and its a very high resolution format on a good table & cartridge setup.

Wow, that's a lot of record shopping!

You are lucky you live in Atlanta, a city with good used record stores. I have found that it is very difficult to buy records any other way than in person. The exceptions would be sealed audiophile pressings from US Hifi vendors and Japanese pressings from sellers in Japan. The Japanese record dealers I've done business with always grade very accurately. If they say the records are mint, they really mean it.

The only other thing I miss when listening to LP's is that most newer recordings will never appear on vinyl.

Radiohead and Belle and Sebastien are two modern groups that record analog and master analog to LP. B & S records sound especially good.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
The most recent Radiohead discs were mastered by Bob Ludwig.

Suits You Sir!

Reaction score
Marantz amp with Mission speakers.

Denon amp with Denon speakers.

Kenwood surround sound set for the TV.

Kengs

Reaction score
B&K Pro 600 amp
Martin Logan Sequel II speakers
Vintage Sony 707ESD CD player
some stout speaker cables & interconnects from Audioadvisor

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Nice systems there. The new Martin Logan speakers are really nice. A new level of transparency.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Just bought a Linn LP12 Sondek off ebay. My step up from a Dual CS503 that I got during my student days almost 20 years ago! Looking forward to playing with it, but secretly I'm not sure how much difference I'd notice, not having elevated speaker cables and all that
smile.gif

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
The Linn is a classic table. You will enjoy that, elevated cables or not.
smile.gif

tlmusic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chobochobo
Just bought a Linn LP12 Sondek off ebay. My step up from a Dual CS503 that I got during my student days almost 20 years ago! Looking forward to playing with it, but secretly I'm not sure how much difference I'd notice, not having elevated speaker cables and all that
smile.gif

I also have a LP12. I think it sounds truckloads better than a Dual, although the Dual is no slouch itself. You're gonna hear sounds on your records you didn't know were there!

Linn turntables are very easy to damage in shipping. Hopefully the seller knows how to pack it right. Also, it would be good for you to find a Linn dealer near you to offer set up and advice. I know I depend on my dealer to keep my 28-year-old turntable rockin'.

One of the beauties of the LP12 is the company keeps offering upgrades that allow you to keep the same table and substantially improve the sound.

Check out the Cirkus and Trampolin upgrades, if your table doesn't already have them. There's also the Keel upgrade, http://www.linn.co.uk/Keel but that's big bucks. It transforms the table into one of the best in the world. The Keel demo my friends and I heard at the Linn dealer was jaw dropping.

What kind of tonearm did it come with?

Congratulations on your new 'table.

tlmusic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
The Linn is a classic table. You will enjoy that, elevated cables or not.
smile.gif

Yes--Elevating cables is at best a subtle improvement. It's not a bad idea...

However, with a Linn 'table, even little things like paying attention to how level the 'table is will make an astonishing, very noticeable, improvement.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 80 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 35 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads