• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Definitive Guide to Slim Fit Shirts

0b5cur1ty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, a new member here (just introduced myself in the appropriate thread).

I'm constantly on the lookout for nice, slim-fitting shirts as most shirts (even from 'slim' brands like Matinique) fit me like tents. I have one slim-fitting shirt from Ermenegildo Zegna that is of very good quality and fits superbly (it's a very slim fit) but would not buy another at full price - I'm not rich enough and for that money you can go bespoke.

My traditional source for slim shirts was Esprit; they do pretty much all their dress shirts in a regular (fairly tent-ish) and slim fit. Nice range of colours and patterns and well made; cost €40. Unfortunately, they've seen fit to add lycra to their slim dress shirts which means they feel a little 'crinkly' and shrink terribly in the sleeve. Their casual slim-fit shirts are still good however.

My big discovery this year is the 'Smart' shirt that the WE store is now selling (if you're not familiar with it - WE is a sort of continental equivalent of Gap): The dress shirts (and formal clothes in general) at the WE are usually fairly poorly cut and baggy, but their casual shirts were always very slim fitting and of decent quality. This year the casual range includes the 'Smart' shirt, which is basically a dress shirt with a very tailored fit. It's very cheap (€25) and fits superbly, being made for tall, slim people - the sleeves are even long enough! The quality is decent but, as you'd expect at the price, the cotton is fairly thin and basic.

Despite this discovery, I still know of nowhere that will do a really nice dress shirt with lovely material that actually fits me. So I recently bit the bullet and ordered my first ever bespoke shirt - hopefully this will be the solution...

cheessus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a few of the WE shirts when I was in France and they are really slim fitting. As for brands you can get in the US, I have found that Theory makes shirts that are slim-fitting (without being labeled slim fit).

rando

Reaction score
I believe on the wiki it said 3-5 inches of chest allowance is whats considered slim fit. I have some shirts around that range but it limits range of motion of my arms, especially when you do the "hug yourself" motion. Is that just a trade off of slim fit shirts?

evpj2L

Reaction score
I'm pretty new to the world of slim shirts and would greatly appreciate your help on a few questions:

1) The best fitting dress shirt that I have tried on has been Hugo Boss red label. It is one of only a few dress shirts that fits me perfectly in the shoulders. However, the red label shirts have an extremely narrow point collar. Am I correct in thinking that a more spread collar is preferable on a skinny person? The narrow point collar seems to really accentuate my lankiness. And if so, is there another dress shirt with a similar fit with more of a spread collar?

2) In general, is the most important part of a shirt's fit the shoulders? I assume the shoulders are something that cannot be easily alterable. Most of the shirts that I try on have seemed too large in the shoulders.

3) I tried on a polo custom fit OCBD that also fit me pretty well. If I button the very top button, the neck is a little bit tight. I assume that wouldn't be a concern, since OCBD's aren't typically worn with the very top button buttoned anyways? Also, my only reservation about the polo shirt is the logo on it. Is there another OCBD in a similar fit and pricepoint without a logo?

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rando
I believe on the wiki it said 3-5 inches of chest allowance is whats considered slim fit. I have some shirts around that range but it limits range of motion of my arms, especially when you do the "hug yourself" motion. Is that just a trade off of slim fit shirts?

Yes, and especially of higher armholes. Nobody ever said looking good was always going to be comfortable.
smile.gif

djs488

Reaction score
Originally Posted by evpj2L
3)Is there another OCBD in a similar fit and pricepoint without a logo?

These maybe too casual for you, but the Polo Rugby line has some very slim fit oxford button downs. The arm holes are not quite as high as i would like, but it is certainly slim through the chest area.

Leonard Leroy

Reaction score
Any affordable (around 100ish) oxford shirts Made in USA, England, France, Italy etc etc?

I know Band of Outsiders, but that's going past 200 bucks, although its out there for just under. I'm hoping for something around 100 dollars, but I might go for 200 if hte fit is nice.

It doesn't have to be all that slim, just something tailorable. I kinda have a thing for where things are made. :/

max232

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
Polo custom fit is one of the better conservative brands that I think are actually "slimfit", altho I still have to size down a half in the neck for the fit I want in the body. But not bad at all. Most "slimfit/tailored fit/etc" shirts I find arent slim at all around the waist. (Jcrew, Brooks, Banana etc)

All the best fitting slimfit shirts I own or tried on are from labels 96% of this forum wouldnt be interested in, but they fit f'ing great from shoulder to waist.

-Band of Outsiders
-Thom Browne
-Paul Smith (PS and mainline)
-Duncan Quinn
-agnes b 'corps d'etroit' line

Agree..

nickG

Reaction score
any one have expericence w/ charles tyrwhitt's slim shirts? they're having an online clearance sale and was wanting some feedback before i spend money on a shirt i cant try on. thanks

spreadcollar

Reaction score
fabrics vary. the "sea island quality" are nice (but are not sea island cotton). fit: slim but not ultra slim. my big problem, which they might have changed, is that the arm was still cut rather full.

Originally Posted by nickG
any one have expericence w/ charles tyrwhitt's slim shirts? they're having an online clearance sale and was wanting some feedback before i spend money on a shirt i cant try on. thanks

NativeTxn

Reaction score
I like Ted Baker for slim fit shirts. I am 6'2", 155-160 pounds, and about a 38" chest. The Ted Baker shirts work great for me - I am a size 3 (my generic dress shirt size is 15.5 neck, 34/35 sleeve).

However, I also have a couple of Alfani "fitted" shirts as well as a Van Heusen "fitted" shirt. I got the Alfani's and the VH on sale at Macy's. They are decent quality and came at a very reasonable price - though they are certainly less "trendy" than Ted Baker (and less expensive).

A lot of the "regular" shirts tend to be rather baggy, so anytime I can find a "fitted" shirt that I like I tend to snap it up (especially if it is on sale).

But the Ted Bakers fit me very well, as does the VH (which has some poly in it and seems to "sit" a little better on me than the Alfanis, which are 100% cotton).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads