• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

(Old) What Are You Wearing Now/Today? Part II - pictures only - no discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hossoso
No. A lot of your critiques lead me to believe that you have no idea what you're talking about.

Most girls don't :p

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hi-val
There's a woman I see in town every now and then at gallery openings, trendy music shows, art fairs, etc. I only notice her because she wears the absolute worst glasses she can find. Huge grey Gene Shalit aviators, round coke-bottle black frames that look like Groucho Marx's glasses, etc. She's very pretty and wears ugly-ass frames. I was undecided on how I felt about it for so long but I think I came to the conclusion that it's try-hard. She actively wants people to pay attention to her glasses and see that she's being clever and ironic. To that end, I think when dressing cleverly, the goal is to leave reasonable doubt about whether you're trying to be clever or not. Perhaps your glasses are thick and nerdy because you are actually nerdy. With something as overt as giant glasses like that, the girl leaves no doubt; she says "look at me, look at how clever I am, how willing I am to buck trends!" but most of all, it just says "look at me". So in a roundabout way, this sort of applies to FTB. I think his glasses are borderline "look at me" and to some people, they notice that. I know I did when I first saw his pictures. That said, they're a bit more conservative than I had originally thought and they do straddle that line of clever/unaware that I talked about earlier. I'd like to see other options in frames as well. FTB, have you considered getting other pairs of glasses as well, or perhaps contacts? I pair up my eyewear with what I am wearing that day. Something like a brushed steel or platinum frame would look sharp with your mostly-black outfits.
I also think that this girl's glasses would probably have been flamboyant even when they were new. Look at Audrey Hepburn's frames in "Two For the Road:"
Two_road_moviep.jpg
Originally Posted by Saucemaster
So the alternative to looking like a "middle-class housewife" (you talkin' bout my Mama?) is looking like a 70s IBM technician? Really? These are our choices? I think vintage, oversized frames are infinitely harder to pull off than subdued, minimalist frames. FWIW, I think FtB's frames suit him pretty well. They never felt forced to me.
No, but most of the time, I feel those are somewhat of the two camps unless you get into Emo frames, which are like subdued hipster frames, consisting of black rectangular things. Personally, I'm rather fascinated by strangely glamorous and unflattering frames; but, I do agree with you about the oversized frames being harder to pull off although that may be the appeal. Minimalist frames are easy and somewhat ubiquitous.
Originally Posted by hustlenflo22
What are these?
Oliver Goldsmith Zodiac.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
He has an extremely geometrical face shape, straighter lines than most. Boxy glasses emphasize that. Whether or not that's a good thing is in the eye of the beholder. EDIT:
Originally Posted by ryegb
2/10. Awful proportions, mundane palette and bad shoes that look orthopedic. Sorry.
I was going to say earlier, but forgot, that I like the /10 rating system you're unilaterally launching here. As to the specific fit critiqued, the whole top half of it looks good to me, the jean fit is somewhat off but not beyond the pale, but I am in full agreement: the shoes would ruin just about anything anyone could wear.

Forkit

Reaction score
Originally Posted by xchen
I'm guessing they probably run $400-600.

Thanks man, do you know of anything that may look similar for under $200?

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Xchen, I am usually not a fan but I really like the Tanner(?) belt and the shoes, actually the whole look. I think it needs to be more broken in, more lived in--but I like it. What are the shoes, by the way?

Yes the belt is Tanner, and it has the key hook. Sometimes it comes undone and anyways, it came off today in one of the worst possible places. I was climbing a nearby mountain with a friend and we were hiking through the woods, and not really on trails or anything. I got down to the car at 1 hour before sunset to realize my keys were lost on the mountain. It's about 36.50 sq miles of mountain (calculated in my head while looking for the keys). We had only one hour to run back through downtown Stone Mountain, GA and back up the mountain to where the keys may have fallen. I finally gave up and we were about to come back down when I FOUND MY KEYS. We made it back to the car right after sunset and it was starting to get cold. The leather key hook from Tanner got wet and I don't think it will ever look right again but I may eventually oil the belt, keyhook, and wallet together.

Since the hook isn't effective I may end up splurging on the one from the Flat Head.

TheRealAshland

Reaction score
lmao, thats hilarious.. Seriously, what your telling me that those glasses are attractive on him? I was on my sidekick at work, and asked some of my coworkers and they all agreed with me, not ever frame goes with every face.. just an opinion.. i love oversized frames , on women and fat guys ..but im not sure it just doesnt look right to me on him.. like ive said before hes very attractive but i think smaller frames would just be better on him..

lol.. im done with this subject.....

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
wendy004.jpg

I think you look slimmer in this photo as well. You look bigger with coats on but so does everyone. I think you are getting in better shape and that is why you probably look better not necessarily because the Rick Owens is doing the work

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
ashland- There's more to style/fashion than looking as cute as possible. FTB has never been about "perfect fits". His stuff isn't that weird or oversized or anything either. Even if you or hi-val think the glasses add a bit of pretension, what's the big deal? A little bit of pretentiousness never hurt anyone and i doubt people of this forum are unfamiliar with it.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
I don't see what the **** is wrong with fades glasses, they suit his face perfectly your coworkers must be blind. They're not oversized either they're just right jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez.

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheRealAshland
lmao, thats hilarious.. Seriously, what your telling me that those glasses are attractive on him? I was on my sidekick at work, and asked some of my coworkers and they all agreed with me, not ever frame goes with every face.. just an opinion.. i love oversized frames , on women and fat guys ..but im not sure it just doesnt look right to me on him.. like ive said before hes very attractive but i think smaller frames would just be better on him..

lol.. im done with this subject.....

Again, you have no idea what you're talking about. Find another outlet.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
I disagree. I think the glasses work well on him.
Yeah, what is with all the anti-love on FTB lately, the glasses are badass. In fact, I wish he'd get an even thicker pair. He'd be good in a mid-century motif, which is one of my faves.
No. A lot of your critiques lead me to believe that you have no idea what you're talking about.
haha. ditto.
Originally Posted by LabelKing
What do you think about these?
Awesome!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads