• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Luggage

DouggiePhresh

Reaction score
Im looking for designer luggage. Does anyone have any suggestions?

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Jil Sander, Bottega Veneta or Valextra for no logos.

Louis Vuitton and Goyard for logos.

navysuede

Reaction score
Brics....Italian
Tusting......English
Hartmann
Tumi has some new forward styles at fair prices
Good luck

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Hermes custom.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Valentino did a great series of luggage for his winter show a year or so back (the "Valentino Airlines" show ((see the pic in my avatar))) and I think he's started producing them each season. They're ludicrously overpriced, but the monogram looks great.

But, overall, if you want designer with a logo and are willing to pay for it, I second SoCal's mention of Goyard. It's not exactly subtle, but still not as garish or showy as the LV monogram. And, it's actually very well made.

Hermes makes gorgeous luggage, too, but you could buy a decent used car for how much a suitcase will cost you. As for other designers, I'd avoid Prada for luggage, though. I have some of their duffles and I like them well enough, but I wouldn't want wheeled luggage. Same with Gucci, same with Christian Dior. When I graduated from college and got my first decent-paying job, I thought I'd be the coolest guy ever because I had designer luggage (one was Borbonese, the other was Dior). I kept smiling about it until I took my first big trip and it got the **** kicked out of it at the airport and ended up looking like I found them in a Salvation Army garbage bin. The Borbonese, in a beautiful shade of coffee brown initially, ended up with big whitish smears on it and nearly had the rolled-leather handles ripped off. As such, if you are on ANY kind of a budget or will traveling commercially (as opposed to privately or always with a valet), keep in mind that luggage that you will be checking will get similar treatment by airlines employees.

Therefore, I'd get a very GOOD, strong suitcase maker, not necessarily a designer who also happens to have a luggage license with somebody and who is more interested in a certain style/luxe aesthetic than in making a suitcase that will actually travel well. Some of these better brands would be Hartmann (mentioned above), Briggs&Riley, or Tumi. They are $500 suitcases that are really $500 suitcases; not $500 suitcases with $2200 of added branding. EDIT: RJman beat me to the mention of Hermes (I was typing just as you were posting!)

Last edited:

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
EDIT: RJman beat me to the mention of Hermes (I was typing just as you were posting!)

My dream would be to commission hard-sided carbon fibre luggage from Hermes -- extremely light and extremely durable. Of course, for as long as one flies commercial, there is no point in expensive (check-in) luggage (as opposed to purely functional luggage).

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Here is my Halliburton after some use. As one can see, it's quite scuffed and generally worn, and also dented in some places:
2231798629_46143b1859.jpg

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cheap. solid hard-shell plastic (Samsonite basic line, whatever it's called) for checked luggage. Anything else; there are few areas where vintage luggage won't serve you better for less.
DSC00969.jpg

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Here is my Halliburton after some use. As one can see, it's quite scuffed and generally worn, and also dented in some places:
2231798629_46143b1859.jpg

well yeah, but does it have wheels?

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lucky Strike
Cheap. solid hard-shell plastic (Samsonite basic line, whatever it's called) for checked luggage. Anything else; there are few areas where vintage luggage won't serve you better for less.
DSC00969.jpg

hmm I think there is a sweaty dude in district 11 who is going to be seeing a printout of this later today with a request to replicate. Very nice.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
spoil my smartasseditude whydontcha?

I have been looking at a similar era Halliburton on ebay, and very few have wheels and that is kind of a dealbreaker for me (unless I buy a separate cart thing).

My annual France trip is coming up, and I am trying to picture myself lugging it the half-mile from my hotel to the train station when it is all loaded up with my biggest annual shopping splurge.

Can't be done....

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
ohh ok youve beaten the hell out of it on your annual China run by the look of it then man. BTW searching for vintage Halliburtons made me feel damn old when i found a link to a one (from their women's line - whatever that means)... It's vintage....from way back in nineteen ninety seven.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads