• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things you just can't understand...

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by arnach
Just merge anyway.
Merging brings up a whole new set of foolish drivers--people who drive so slow you actually have to brake significantly to allow them to pass, or crazed people who thinks this is Road Atlanta.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I live downtown in a large city and how the hell do I still see wild animals roaming around? Today I saw raccoons and turkeys!! Like seriously, how do they manage to breed?

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last night, as I was getting into my friends car, he mistook me for turkey.

I don't get it Andre, I don't get it.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Merging brings up a whole new set of foolish drivers--people who drive so slow you actually have to brake significantly to allow them to pass, or crazed people who thinks this is Road Atlanta.

Agreed. Why do some people seem to think a "Yield" sign actually is a "Stop" sign? What logic dictates that it will be easier to merge into traffic going 75mph by coming to a complete stop and slowly waddling into traffic?

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Agreed. Why do some people seem to think a "Yield" sign actually is a "Stop" sign? What logic dictates that it will be easier to merge into traffic going 75mph by coming to a complete stop and slowly waddling into traffic?

Wow! A yield sign is a stop sign, if there is traffic already in the lane that can hit you.

I was going 75mph in the right lane of a two lane highway when someone came to merge on the highway. There was a yield sign. I could not merge lanes to the left (someone next to me.) This driver pulled out at about 30mph. I had to brake hard and then take evasive action to avoid a collision. The merging driver should have stopped in this case and nearly caused an accident.

That's the logic.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
1) I love the Aristocrats. The joke isn't the punchline; but, it is what builds up to it.
2) Mr. Chow is alright. I enjoyed Philippe better, even though I was drunk and puked in the bathroom. When I was at Mr. Chow in LA Paris Hilton (when she was with Paris) and Cheech Marin were both dining. The way they make the noddles and bang it around on the table may be considered entertainment to some.
3) Must be an HK thing.

From my own list...
-People that think Jessica Alba or Scarlet Johnason are pretty and/or good actresses.
-People who follow organized religon.
-People who micro manage.

if you were having a custom suit made. you would want the cutter micro manage the construction.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Wow! A yield sign is a stop sign, if there is traffic already in the lane that can hit you.

I was going 75mph in the right lane of a two lane highway when someone came to merge on the highway. There was a yield sign. I could not merge lanes to the left (someone next to me.) This driver pulled out at about 30mph. I had to brake hard and then take evasive action to avoid a collision. The merging driver should have stopped in this case and nearly caused an accident.

That's the logic.

No, yield =! stop. If you wish logic, or actually a little physics in this case, the problem came from exactly the thing I stated, slow moving mergers. If the person had been going your speed or faster, you would not have had to brake, now would you? The near collision was exactly from the idiot waddling out slowly into traffic vs. being at the same speed as the oncoming traffic, exactly my prior compliant. Further, one does not need to come to a dead stop to yield. If you were doing 75mph, the 30mph merger obviously should have had time for you to pass him safely, then merge.

Brad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't understand why folks that ride Harley Davidson's feel compelled to always wear shirts that say Harley Davidson while riding their bikes. Can someone explain this to me?

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brad
I can't understand why folks that ride Harley Davidson's feel compelled to always wear shirts that say Harley Davidson while riding their bikes. Can someone explain this to me?

I think it's b/c for a lot of hardcore bikers, it's more than just a relaxing ride on their bike, it's more of a lifestyle thing. So the brand takes over a lot of their life. It's not like they only wear the Harley shirt when they're riding their Harley (AFAIK).

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, yield =! stop. If you wish logic, or actually a little physics in this case, the problem came from exactly the thing I stated, slow moving mergers. If the person had been going your speed or faster, you would not have had to brake, now would you? The near collision was exactly from the idiot waddling out slowly into traffic vs. being at the same speed as the oncoming traffic, exactly my prior compliant. Further, one does not need to come to a dead stop to yield. If you were doing 75mph, the 30mph merger obviously should have had time for you to pass him safely, then merge.

Some on ramps are short and drivers do not have the space to accelerate up to traffic speed.

Therefore, the yield sign.

If the road is clear, then they should proceed without stopping.

If the road is not clear, then they should stop and then proceed when the road is clear.

Please read your state's driving manual.

Do you get mad when people stop at yield signs at roundabouts? Would you prefer them to accelerate into the side of the car going round at that point?
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

bigbjorn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
I think it's b/c for a lot of hardcore bikers, it's more than just a relaxing ride on their bike, it's more of a lifestyle thing. So the brand takes over a lot of their life. It's not like they only wear the Harley shirt when they're riding their Harley (AFAIK).
I think it's the complete opposite. It's the saturday-morning CIO and accountant crowd with the ass jewelery that feel the need to wear the MoCo tees. I think it's to avoid the rest of us asking how they like their K1200LTs or GWs.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Some on ramps are short and drivers do not have the space to accelerate up to traffic speed. Therefore, the yield sign. If the road is clear, then they should proceed without stopping. If the road is not clear, then they should stop and then proceed when the road is clear. Please read your state's driving manual. Do you get mad when people stop at yield signs at roundabouts? Would you prefer them to accelerate into the side of the car going round at that point?
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

/yawn. And roundabouts? I live where roads make sense.
crackup[1].gif
So, who here thinks coming to a dead stop at the end of a freeway on ramp is a stupid move? A good way to get rear ended or shot at? I do.

Reborn

Reaction score
/yawn.

And roundabouts? I live where roads make sense.
crackup[1].gif

So, who here thinks coming to a dead stop at the end of a freeway on ramp is a stupid move? A good way to get rear ended or shot at? I do.

Not all ramps are built the same but most freeway/highway ramps are built long enough to build up some speed. Parkway ramps here are often 20 feet long and require you to stop at the end to merge.

I almost died on a ramp I travel everyday because some jackass stopped at the end. It's a downhill ramp that's at least a 1/2 mile long. A bicycle could get up to merging speed on this thing. I'm following a car about 20 lengths back and they seem to be speeding up and look like they are going to merge successfully. I look over my left shoulder to find a spot to merge into and when I look back forward again the jackass is at a dead stop right where he's supposed to merge. I'm going 75 and he's 20 feet in front of me, I swerved half into the shoulder and grass got the car completely sideways then merged into traffic.

I was obviously fuming that I was able to crash and still merge but there was little I could do as he was still sitting in the middle of the ramp waiting for his turn.

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
/yawn. And roundabouts? I live where roads make sense.
crackup[1].gif

Good luck accelerating up to 75mph in fifty feet of space. I was on such a road today -- highway that runs through Philly. Everyone doing at least 75mph, dense traffic. 20 foot on-ramps. People stop, and there are lines 15-20 deep to get on the road. If anyone did not stop first, they would be killed. If anyone tried to slowly pull out, there'd be another person behind me doing the same speed. Do you still not understand this concept?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Good luck accelerating up to 75mph in fifty feet of space.

I was on such a road today -- highway that runs through Philly. Everyone doing at least 75mph, dense traffic. 20 foot on-ramps. People stop, and there are lines 15-20 deep to get on the road. If anyone did not stop first, they would be killed. If anyone tried to slowly pull out, there'd be another person behind me doing the same speed. Do you still not understand this concept?

That is a different scenario than the ones I was speaking of. We have all seen metered ramps that require a stop. I was speaking of ramps with no such requirement and plenty of room to come up to merging speeds.

To the bolded section: get over yourself. You were clearly just looking for a fight from the first post. I think most people reading my original post on merging knew the situations I was speaking of. I am sorry I actually gave you want you wanted for a few posts but no more.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads