• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Royal oxford vs oxford

passingtime

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I can't believe that you honestly believe any of what you are saying here.
Of course I do - here are the supporting links to show the English wear Oxford cloth contrary to your statement, where are yours showing they don't?

Link to the Worshipful Company of Weavers on Oxford cloth, its down the bottom of the page:
http://www.weavers.org.uk/default.as...13&subpage=275
And Marks and Spencer - search for Oxford in menswear:
http://www.marksandspencer.com

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
lurker[1].gif

I'll bring the root beer and Ju Ju Bees.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Not even lolcats can save this thread. Not even Ceiling Cat.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by passingtime
Of course I do - here are the supporting links to show the English wear Oxford cloth contrary to your statement, where are yours showing they don't?

Link to the Worshipful Company of Weavers on Oxford cloth, its down the bottom of the page:
http://www.weavers.org.uk/default.as...13&subpage=275
And Marks and Spencer - search for Oxford in menswear:
http://www.marksandspencer.com

I don't dispute that oxford cloth originally comes from England. I dispute the ridiculous assertions about the current state of its relative popularity on both sides of the Atlantic. If you really do believe what was posted, then you've been away from home too long, and while here you have paid no attention to the way people actually dress.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I stand by my statements. I rarely make assertions without authority.

Again, and if you were paying attention to theme of the person who's question I was originally airing an opinion towards, the Americans dont wear oxford cloth for business but do like the royal oxford cloth.

How that could mean the Americans dont like oxford cloth and dont buy it for every other purpose needs explanation by someone trying to make my statement something it is not.

Also, part of the reason the Americans like royal oxford is because they think it is very English. I find it ironic that the English do not like royal oxford cloth and prefer the heavier, plain oxford cloth. That was the connection there, no claims that they wear either of these cloths in UK offices.

I am astonished by the inability to discuss clothes civily and the need to draw conclusions to try and injure peoples' reputations. And that something this trivial could cause such rancor might indicate someone needs to channel their aggression into more positive endeavors.
smile.gif

In any case, although probably not as sound as walking around the island of Britain counting how many were wearing oxford cloth shirts, my statement comes from industry people, so it wasn't my own.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
I I am astonished by the inability to discuss clothes civily and the need to draw conclusions to try and injure peoples' reputations. And that something this trivial could cause such rancor might indicate someone needs to channel their aggression into more positive endeavors.
smile.gif

This may be the funniest thing you have ever posted, and that is really saying something. Have you ever read your own site?

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think that if you travel outside the NYC metro region, you will see oxford cloth worn in any business situation in the USA. From Boardrooms to chain restuarants with the company name emboridered on the pocket.

New Yorkers rarely wear OCBD shirts for business, because it looks too old money preppy/middle america.
Royal oxford is much easier to sell as a business shirt because it uses finer yarns.
I sell lots of royal oxford in 100/2 construction(tighter and finer then 80/2). Not because I tell my customers it has any conection to England, but because on a white shirt, it is more opaque then Broadcloth(no t-shirt outline) the texture makes a solid shirt more intresting, with out the connotations of a dobby weave.
Carl

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
^^^ I will wear pinpoint with a suit, but not regular oxford.

I assume royal is pretty much a custom thing; I don't see it made up RTW much.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
^^^ I will wear pinpoint with a suit, but not regular oxford.

I assume royal is pretty much a custom thing; I don't see it made up RTW much.

Gittman
XMI
Robert Talbott

all keep Royal oxford shirts in their in stock programs.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shirtmaven
I think that if you travel outside the NYC metro region, you will see oxford cloth worn in any business situation in the USA. From Boardrooms to chain restuarants with the company name emboridered on the pocket.

New Yorkers rarely wear OCBD shirts for business, because it looks too old money preppy/middle america.
Royal oxford is much easier to sell as a business shirt because it uses finer yarns.
I sell lots of royal oxford in 100/2 construction(tighter and finer then 80/2). Not because I tell my customers it has any conection to England, but because on a white shirt, it is more opaque then Broadcloth(no t-shirt outline) the texture makes a solid shirt more intresting, with out the connotations of a dobby weave.
Carl

Carl, I think your view might be a bit skewed by what your customers wear.

Lots of guys in NY (I don't know if that alone qualifies them as New Yorkers) wear OCBDs for business, just like a lot of guys get all their work clothes at Brooks.

I'd say OCBDs are as common as French cuffed shirts with wide spread collars at least in the area where I work and probably moreso elsewhere.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shirtmaven
Gittman
XMI
Robert Talbott

all keep Royal oxford shirts in their in stock programs.

Yes, but wouldn't you say the proportion of Oxford to royal Oxford would be pretty heavily in favor of regular Oxford in RTW shirts overall?

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cantabrigian
Carl, I think your view might be a bit skewed by what your customers wear.

Lots of guys in NY (I don't know if that alone qualifies them as New Yorkers) wear OCBDs for business, just like a lot of guys get all their work clothes at Brooks.

I'd say OCBDs are as common as French cuffed shirts with wide spread collars at least in the area where I work and probably moreso elsewhere.

+1

I think oxford cloth, including OCBDS are pretty popular in NY business circles. Even amongst bespoke buyers, many get OCBDS that are meant to be a better fitting better quality version of a Brooks or Press OCBD.

cvac

Reaction score
J.Press also has RTW royal oxfords. For about $60 during one of their biannual sales, I think they are a pretty good value. I prefer the non-buttondown collar version.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Wow. This thread has veered horribly on track.

As for RTW royal oxfords, I used to have a Jos. A Bank royal oxford French cuffed shirt, so they at least used to have them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads