• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Coho
DSC04392.jpg

You know, as much as I like to make fun of your posts, that's a really nice collection. And I don't infer to just the straps.
laugh.gif

Is that a Rolex Sub in the corner?

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
here's some vintage watch pr0n, dropped off by the mailman a mere 1/2 hr ago this morning. what do ya'll think about this for a dress watch? anything i can purchase to polish the case a bit?
DSC_0022.jpg
along with a new toy!
DSC_0023.jpg
smile.gif

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very nice. Congrats - it's a good-looking Longines and definitely a great dress watch. Is it gold or gold-filled/plated? I would be very careful of polishing it if it is gf

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Very nice - I like it.

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it's only gold plated on SS (poor man's watch). why is it bad to polish it if it's gold filled?

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stickonatree
it's only gold plated on SS (poor man's watch). why is it bad to polish it if it's gold filled?

If you use an abrasive polishing cloth, you will risk removing parts of the gold layer

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wouldn't gold-plated be more at risk, seeing as how if i use an abrasive polishing cloth, it might rub "through" to show the SS?

stamp0102

Reaction score
gold-filled refers to the fact that it is filled with a material that is not gold. it is gold on the outside and filled on the inside with a different material. therefore, polishing a gold-filled piece, which is only gold plated, could result in removing the layer of gold. a solid gold piece would not be a problem to polish.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
stamp explained it well. gold filled is esssentially gold plated with a thicker layer of plating

So don't use abrasive polishing cloths (e.g. Cape Cod) but only the softer Selvyt-type jewelry cloths

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stamp0102
gold-filled refers to the fact that it is filled with a material that is not gold. it is gold on the outside and filled on the inside with a different material. therefore, polishing a gold-filled piece, which is only gold plated, could result in removing the layer of gold. a solid gold piece would not be a problem to polish.

There are two major difference betweens "gold-filled" and "gold plated." As you say, filled pieces are gold on the outside of the sheet of metal (top and bottom), with a layer of something else (usually brass) sandwiched in-between. Thus, gold-filled pieces start out as some blank shape (sheet, tube, etc) which is a sandwich, which is then worked accordingly. Gold plating is done after the final shaping of the piece.

The practical difference is that filled pieces usually have much thicker layers of gold. I don't know if this is necessarily dictated by the manufacturing process, but that's how they (usually) come out. Cross used to offer the same pen in both gold fill and plate for this very reason.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Today they call gold filling, "bonded gold".

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There's also something called rolled gold, which is, I believe, a thin layer of gold literally rolled onto a base metal at great pressure.

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ahh, i see, thanks for all the info! i always *mistakenly* thought gold-filled meant that it was, well - filled with gold. marketing ploy, perhaps?

so from what i'm getting, this is the hierarchy of amount of gold:

gold filled = gold "tube" encasing some non-precious metal
bonded gold / rolled gold / gold plated = thin layer of gold chemically processed/pressure rolled around non-precious metal

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IIRC, plating is a chemical process (particles in a bath with electrodes) vs. rolling a physical one (pressure) but I'm not 100% sure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads