• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

40kaas-nl

Reaction score
Just found this on eBay

f6be_3.JPG

fb56_3.JPG

011d_3.JPG

Beautiful but no way I could afford something like that right now :-( These watches look a little like the older Rolex "Prince" models...

Mustapha

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Coho
Something very calming about this pic. I'm usually angry for no reason but this one does it for me.

Thanks Coho, These old Tudors are - serene, - watches.
smile.gif

P1000028.jpg

omegaman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Omegablogger
!957 Omega Ranchero
ranchstrap.jpg

Nice 30mm movement inside too! What a beauty! Broadarrow hands. Sweet 6 eater she is! Wonderful manny wind. Had one once, sold her, wish I had her back! Do you like that Lord Sheraton over say, Lexol?
confused.gif

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
My 99.2

WAYWT_9nov_2.jpg

And some better stock pictures...

99.jpg

99210.jpg

That is a very beautiful watch - I especially love the typography and the simple yet straightforward look. Now, if only they hadn't chopped off the digits...

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Torrente
Disclaimer
smile.gif
''Please feel free to ignore this post. I know this watch doesn't belong here''

But if you don't mind could you please state your purely aestethic observation of this watch . . .

http://www.bodying.co.uk/k2227120-ca...r/watches/4408

I like that one a lot. It's got a crisp, polished look to it. In fact, I just bought this which is quite similar looking (and I like the fact that it's simple, light and very utilitarian - and it goes with my skinny wrists quite well).

331lsl1.jpg

(please pardon the lilliputs among the giants)
smile.gif

mink31

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mustapha
Thanks Coho, These old Tudors are - serene, - watches.
smile.gif

P1000028.jpg

I must've missed this somewhere, but what's the difference between a Tudor and a Rolex? I think I see a Rolex crown on that clasp and the face does say "oyster"...

MJC8719x

Reaction score
Wow, you all have some amazing watches...it makes my "lowly" Seamaster that I was so proud of look like nothing....

Has anyone any experience with Stowa watches, specifically the marine model, as I was thinking of picking up one as a relatively inexpensive dress watch (college students budget).

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Skagen have some of the best designs among the quartz watches that I've seen. Good taste.

Originally Posted by Metlin
I like that one a lot. It's got a crisp, polished look to it. In fact, I just bought this which is quite similar looking (and I like the fact that it's simple, light and very utilitarian - and it goes with my skinny wrists quite well).

331lsl1.jpg

(please pardon the lilliputs among the giants)
smile.gif

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MJC8719x
Wow, you all have some amazing watches...it makes my "lowly" Seamaster that I was so proud of look like nothing....

Has anyone any experience with Stowa watches, specifically the marine model, as I was thinking of picking up one as a relatively inexpensive dress watch (college students budget).

Get it its great

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Toiletduck
Get it its great

Yah, I think Stowa is a good value for someone who wants a watch that isn't a Fossil or an F.P. Journe. I have the Ikarus Airman and I enjoy it.

Aficionado

Reaction score
Originally Posted by eighteennine
Terrific watches in this thread
inlove.gif

Here's a little contribution from me, a vintage Stowa

and my Granddad's old Omega GÃ
00a9.png
nève, this one with date.

Wow. I have that same Omega (1970). It belonged to my grandpa too.
smile.gif

Here´s my new Omega GMT (2007).
DSC_0219-1.jpg

Lume pic.
DSC_0002-3.jpg

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Generally,

Tudor--poor man's Rolex
Tissot--poor man's Omega
Movado (at least back in the days)--poor man's Zenith
Jeanrichard--poor man's Girard Perregaux
Citizen--poor man's Seiko

Originally Posted by mink31
I must've missed this somewhere, but what's the difference between a Tudor and a Rolex? I think I see a Rolex crown on that clasp and the face does say "oyster"...

mink31

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Coho
Generally,

Tudor--poor man's Rolex
Tissot--poor man's Omega
Movado (at least back in the days)--poor man's Zenith
Jeanrichard--poor man's Girard Perregaux
Citizen--poor man's Seiko

I see what you're saying. But there's no "official" link between Tissot and Omega (Tissot's part of Swatch, right?) just as there's no Tissot "Seemaster" to Omega's Seamaster. On the other hand, Tudor looks exactly like a Rolex except instead of a crown it has a crest. So what's the bottom line--is Tudor actually made by Rolex?

I'm only interested in this because if this does prove to be the case, it seems that it would dilute Rolex's exclusive image.

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mink31
I see what you're saying. But there's no "official" link between Tissot and Omega (Tissot's part of Swatch, right?) just as there's no Tissot "Seemaster" to Omega's Seamaster. On the other hand, Tudor looks exactly like a Rolex except instead of a crown it has a crest. So what's the bottom line--is Tudor actually made by Rolex?

I'm only interested in this because if this does prove to be the case, it seems that it would dilute Rolex's exclusive image.

Tudor is owned and made by Rolex and uses a lot of the identical or similar parts, excluding the movement. Tudor generally uses ETA supplied movements while Rolex uses Rolex in-house designed and built ones.

For the past couple of decades Tudor has not been marketed or distributed in US market due to possible brand dillution concerns Rolex appears to have. Recently, Tudor designs have been moving away from looking like Rolex clones for the same reason. Elsewhere in the world, Tudor is still promoted and sold alongside Rolex as a less expensive alternative.

Mustapha

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dmax
Tudor is owned and made by Rolex and uses a lot of the identical or similar parts, excluding the movement. Tudor generally uses ETA supplied movements while Rolex uses Rolex in-house designed and built ones.

For the past couple of decades Tudor has not been marketed or distributed in US market due to possible brand dillution concerns Rolex appears to have. Recently, Tudor designs have been moving away from looking like Rolex clones for the same reason. Elsewhere in the world, Tudor is still promoted and sold alongside Rolex as a less expensive alternative.

So succinctly put. This also means that the vintage Tudors are priced correspondingly lower. A 'very near' Rolex can be had for less money. It will have the famous 'Oyster' case, the Rolex coronet on the bracelet and winding crown and will be serviced by Rolex to their high same-as-factory standard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads