• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

African american,irish american.why not just american ?

craig g

Reaction score
Firstly,I haven't started this thread as a wind up or to insult anyone but im genuinely intrigued as to why the Americans (im from England and i don't really see the same thing in Europe ) cling onto the whole "African American" "Irish American" thing.surely if your born in America there is no need for the "my mothers mother is Irish so" or even if your mother is Irish etc.same goes for African Americans,just because your black and an American why isn't it just good enough to be American, no matter what skin colour or family background ? dont get me wrong im not saying you shouldn't celebrate your heritage but the fact that a 100 year old family tree of coloured people who have all been born and raised in america need an "african" tag before the american just strikes me as odd.same goes for irish etc,i have a friend who`s great great great grandfather drank a pint of guiness and he is forever going on about his "irish roots" and it can get quite heated when he is brought up on it.

like i said (and i cant stress this enough) i didn't post this to upset anyone or cause offence so please don't take it that way.i would just like to understand the point.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Everyone wants to keep up the image of trying to be unique. Furthermore, people will often claim whatever nationality is more advantageous. The Irish people come out of the woodwork on St. Patty's Day. The number of people identifying themselves as of Germanic heritage decreased during WWI & WWII, in disproportion to the demographic shifts underway then.

People are deeply flawed. Everyone of us. Thinking otherwise is vanity.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Anything to spice up a rather dull life.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The whole thing is ridiculous and people just use it because it allows them to form social circles more easily to try and feel more special and our "leaders" promote it for various reasons.

My favorite is when people who were born and raised here and only spea English try to pretend they are actually a foreigner and call some foreign country they have been to once at age 5 for a week as "home". I

n any case, it only serves to autodivide and partition people until we get a virtual Tower of Babel. It's much easier to control people when they aren't unified. The ruse that we are still a "nation of immigrants" (and I can't believe some people in England try to use this as well in England) is preposterous and only serves to get more cheap labor and a larger tax base.

I must say, as bad as the term "X-American" is, it is more endearing than the "British Born" prefix you have over there. It sounds like, oh hey, I'm not British, I'm actually Pakistani, I was just born here to fill a quota and get on welfare.

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To be honest, this is something that's never bothered me. Just because one correlates cultural origin to the term "America", doesn't make them any less patriotic. It has more to do with cultural identity, which is why I don't get upset when people hold a Mexian-American day parade, or a Chinese-American or Irish-American festival....I think there's nothing wrong with recognizing your ancesterial country of origin, last I checked, we are all from somewhere.

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Different cultures, with so many distinctions it would make no sense for anyone to call themselves just an American.

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by craig g
Firstly,I haven't started this thread as a wind up or to insult anyone but im genuinely intrigued as to why the Americans (im from England and i don't really see the same thing in Europe ) cling onto the whole "African American" "Irish American" thing.surely if your born in America there is no need for the "my mothers mother is Irish so" or even if your mother is Irish etc.same goes for African Americans,just because your black and an American why isn't it just good enough to be American, no matter what skin colour or family background ? dont get me wrong im not saying you shouldn't celebrate your heritage but the fact that a 100 year old family tree of coloured people who have all been born and raised in america need an "african" tag before the american just strikes me as odd.same goes for irish etc,i have a friend who`s great great great grandfather drank a pint of guiness and he is forever going on about his "irish roots" and it can get quite heated when he is brought up on it.

like i said (and i cant stress this enough) i didn't post this to upset anyone or cause offence so please don't take it that way.i would just like to understand the point.

I've heard the term Afro Caribbean used by the English many times. Many people of Jamaican descent but born in England simply refer to themselves as Jamaican.

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jpeirpont
Different cultures, with so many distinctions it would make no sense for anyone to call themselves just an American.
Good point.

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
The whole thing is ridiculous and people just use it because it allows them to form social circles more easily to try and feel more special and our "leaders" promote it for various reasons.

My favorite is when people who were born and raised here and only spea English try to pretend they are actually a foreigner and call some foreign country they have been to once at age 5 for a week as "home". I

n any case, it only serves to autodivide and partition people until we get a virtual Tower of Babel. It's much easier to control people when they aren't unified. The ruse that we are still a "nation of immigrants" (and I can't believe some people in England try to use this as well in England) is preposterous and only serves to get more cheap labor and a larger tax base.

I must say, as bad as the term "X-American" is, it is more endearing than the "British Born" prefix you have over there. It sounds like, oh hey, I'm not British, I'm actually Pakistani, I was just born here to fill a quota and get on welfare.

ZOMG conspiracy.

In a country of 300 million the size of America, there are gonna be differences. Big ones. Some people, oddly enough, are proud of them. Get used to it.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by craig g

I believe that in part such terms developed as a response to attitudes and nomenclature that reflecting the attitudes of people like the late mattjames, which tended to suggest that Americans of non-anglo ancestry were somehow not "real" Americans.
Originally Posted by tiecollector
If by "people" you mean "some people" I suppose this might be literally true. As an attempt to explain how such terms came into use, it is grossly off-base.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Augusto86
In a country of 300 million the size of America, there are gonna be differences. Big ones. Some people, oddly enough, are proud of them. Get used to it.

So then China, which is larger land mass wise, and multiples of the US population, must have a ton of hyphenated Chinese?

laugh.gif

WN2

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
So then China, which is larger land mass wise, and multiples of the US population, must have a ton of hyphenated Chinese?

laugh.gif

Actually China is not nearly as homogenous as one would think.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by WN2
Actually China is not nearly as homogenous as one would think.

I did not say it was homogenous. However, I am unaware of any hyphenated Chinese. I'll ask my wife's paternal grandparents if they come out for St. Paddy's tonight
laugh.gif

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Augusto86
ZOMG conspiracy. In a country of 300 million the size of America, there are gonna be differences. Big ones. Some people, oddly enough, are proud of them. Get used to it.
This is coming from a guy who had no idea how dangerous cities in Brazil were yet claims to be "patriotic" when wearing green, blue and gold? It wasn't until recently that immigrants started demanding we cater to them. Becoming a US citizen used to be their crowning achievement, now it is seen as an entitlement. And yes, it is very odd.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally, I think it`s a little annoying.

I just use words like Black, Asian, etc to describe race instead of African-American, Asian-American, etc.

When I am not describing race, I just use American.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Forum statistics

Threads