• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tidybeard

Reaction score
Thanks! They're on the 555 last (MacQuarie is the model). The only MTO bit is the Whiskey leather (leather soles, goodyear welted, etc).

tonup277

Reaction score
aah, thanks for the clarification.
i went by the NYC store today (very nice folks!) and i'm a bit more informed now.
the difference between the macquarie and the yearling models is mostly the heel - macquarie is flat, yearling is block.
both are essentially the same medium narrow last.

whiskey in either model is MTO. in fact, i believe any model in whiskey is MTO.
i wear a UK8...tried on 8G, slightly wide. 8F was a good, snug fit.
from what i can gather on the previous posts an 8F is very similar to a 9E...yes?

and correct me if i'm wrong...but i think i read on a previous posts here that the SF Special can be ordered in the yearling leather...which would allow me the whiskey color option.

btw, the sales rep at the shop mentioned that the brass screw sole precludes it from having the cork lining. is this true? if so, is it "less" comfortable than a traditional stitched model that would incorporate cork?

final comment - the model/color/last/heel combinations are mind-numbing
baldy[1].gif

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tidybeard
Thanks! They're on the 555 last (MacQuarie is the model). The only MTO bit is the Whiskey leather (leather soles, goodyear welted, etc).
Tidy, are the MacQuaries the same size as the Craftsmans? Thanks, lefty

Tidybeard

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
Tidy,

are the MacQuaries the same size as the Craftsmans?

Thanks,

lefty

Yes. Both 10.5G, equally comfortable.

Tidybeard

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tonup277
aah, thanks for the clarification.
i went by the NYC store today (very nice folks!) and i'm a bit more informed now.
the difference between the macquarie and the yearling models is mostly the heel - macquarie is flat, yearling is block.
both are essentially the same medium narrow last.

whiskey in either model is MTO. in fact, i believe any model in whiskey is MTO.
i wear a UK8...tried on 8G, slightly wide. 8F was a good, snug fit.
from what i can gather on the previous posts an 8F is very similar to a 9E...yes?

and correct me if i'm wrong...but i think i read on a previous posts here that the SF Special can be ordered in the yearling leather...which would allow me the whiskey color option.

btw, the sales rep at the shop mentioned that the brass screw sole precludes it from having the cork lining. is this true? if so, is it "less" comfortable than a traditional stitched model that would incorporate cork?

final comment - the model/color/last/heel combinations are mind-numbing
baldy[1].gif

Agree on the model/colour/heel/last thing! I can't really help with sizing as I just tried them on until they fit me. For some reason, my Yard boots are a 10G, as they just felt better in that size. YMMV, good luck!

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Correct. I ordered a Forum special in the yearling leather with the whiskey color from Steve at Nungar. Love the boot.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BDC2823
Correct. I ordered a Forum special in the yearling leather with the whiskey color from Steve at Nungar. Love the boot.

Pics would be appreciated
wink.gif

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
Pics would be appreciated
wink.gif

Went to take pics and the cameras battery was dead. I'll try to do it tonight or tomorrow.

tonup277

Reaction score
oooh yes, pics please!! can you take shots with the shoes on as well. i just sent an email to steve telling him ready to order the same configuration!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
one more question - how comfy is it with the thinner sole? from what i understood by the sales rep at the NYC shop, the brass screwed sole does not come with the cork lining.

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The catalog arrived yesterday, so it was really quick - ~ 10 days.
Now I just have to send in the measurements - looks like quite a safe way to get your fit.
Since I probably want a tan comfort craftsmen: how much does Steve at Nungar charge for such an order? More than the 'stantard' 285 aus$ (if I recall correctly)?

tonup277

Reaction score
just got off the phone w/Steve, submitted my order - SF special in whiskey.
let the waiting begin!

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tried on a pair of 9G and 9.5G in Vancouver. A few points and questions:

1) The 9.5Gs felt slightly longer in addition to being wider. In the 9G's there was very little clearance between my toes and the toe box. The boot fit like a glove all around - comfortable and soft, but a little difficult to get my foot in, and difficult to say how comfortable they would feel at the end of a long day of being on my feet walking around. With the 9.5G's, there was noticeably more clearance lengthwise, with more breathing room around the sides. Even holding the boots sole to sole, there was about an additional 0.25" of length.

For reference, my feet fit very snugly in an AE PA 10D. A 10E is likely a more ideal fit for me. My Blundstone chisel toes are sized 9 - perfect length, a little too wide. The 9.5G was similar to the Blunnie, but a touch narrower.

So I'm left with a dilemma before I pull the trigger on a pair of Comfort Craftsman in yearling:
- pick up the 9Gs, and hope that they stretch a little in length and width (presently too tight to wear anything other than a thin dress sock), and deal with the odd toe jamming against the front of the boot;
- pick up the 9.5Gs and hope that they don't stretch, and deal with the odd blister resulting from the "sloppier" fit of the boot;
- buy some 9.5Fs which, according to some should be identical to the 9Gs, but perhaps a little longer?

2) I loved the Whiskey colour, but there's a little too much red in it for my tastes. Anybody here have some nice photos of the Tan or Dark Tan Craftsman? Search doesn't work for 3 letter words.

Thanks!

Mugnut

Reaction score
Bandwagonesque (good album, just listened to it yesterday . . . )

I am a 9D in PA's - thus went (sight unseen) for 8G in Yard boots - (that's the turnout last). The fit you describve in the Craftsman 9G is similar to my experience. With thirty days of wear, I think I would have preferred an 8.5G, for what it's worth. When my feet are in a "small phase" (a.m. usually) the fit is spot-on glovelike. When they are in a large phase (afternoon) the 8's become a little too snug. They are comfortable enough, but both look and feel about a 1/2 size off (indeed, they look and feel like my 8.5 U.S. J&M captoe dress shoes - which are wearable but quite snug)

I don't know if anyone here has gone to RMW customer service for the definitive answer on half sizes. Some reports are that half sizes are the same legth as whole sizes, only wider, and some reports (like yours) are that half sizes are longer and wider.

The sizing comparison you make with Blundstone is interesting; I wear 8.5 AUS blundstones - but with insoles and medium weight socks. Blundstones are confirmed to only go up in length by full size - an 8.5 is simply a wide 8. The 8.5 Blundstone 500 (the same length as Blunsdstone 8) is definitely (both by look and by feel) a little longer than the Size 8 yard boot, which leads me to believe that, as a rule, Blundstones are a full size smaller than U.S., and wider, whereas RMW appear to be 1/2 size smaller in length and maybe a little wider (though I have high arches so the width comparison is a little off).

Getting the answer to the half-size question might be the key here. If length and width increases by 1/2 sizes in RMW, then the sizing answer may well be to go down .5 from one's U.S. size, and down a width (maybe). Hopefully I will get to the NYC store sometime soon to try to get the answers to these questions and get my perfect RMW fit dialed.

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the extra info Mugnut. After reading this thread a little more, it looks like the yearling leather doesn't stretch much - only the Kangaroo and veal leather does. In that case, I think the 9.5Gs are a better option. Still looking for some dark tan photos though.

I wear my Blundstones with thicker insoles (or double insoles) too. It's a little snug with thick socks, but stretchy enough to still be comfortable. Love the Blundstones... so damn practical, but sometimes a little too rugged looking.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
just got off the phone w/Steve, submitted my order - SF special in whiskey.
let the waiting begin!

Good luck. I'm still waiting on the SF special in whiskey I ordered from Steve in April 2007.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads