• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you wear to a lounge/club?

madison avenue

Reaction score
What do you wear when you go out to a club? I'm speaking of a nice place non teen related for example in ny a place like tanjune or marqee. I never know if I go over dressed or not

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
007967_34.jpg

I'm conservative so I usually go for the blue.

In all seriousness, most people at places like Tenjune, Marquee etc. typically wear a nice shirt, "fashionable" jeans and sometimes a sportcoat. That's a safe bet, though many others dress differently. Ultimately they're clubs so there is no real dress code.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Usually, I hit those places straight from work, so I'm dressed in whatever I'm wearing (which is usually formals) minus the tie.

If I'm going to one of those places outside of work, I wear good jeans (or tasteful trousers, and sometimes corduroys), a nice cotton shirt with interesting cuff links and sometimes, a sport coat (a dressy, but casual one).

And usually, a nice pair of square toed lace-ups (Kenneth Cole shoes are my favorites in terms of style).

(Yes, I realize that I've broken several of the SF fashion rules in my dress code above, but hey, it's what I like.)

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Lounge and a club are very different things.

I'm more inclined to wear nicer things to a lounge than I am a club.

Club = dark sneakers, dark jeans, long sleeve tshirt and a light shell

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A lounge suit!
teacha.gif

Seriously, whatever you feel comfortable in. I go anywhere from black blazer/tieless shirt/dry denim to a tshirt/boots/jacket (usually Helmut Lang) according to the tone of the evening and more importantly, the company.

madison avenue

Reaction score
Well I usually wear my normal attire to these places ( I hope that I did not sound like a youning asking what to wear as if I am going to one of these places for the first time) I usually wear pants a shirt and jacket with some shoes but since many of you know I have a very Italian( Domenico Vacca/ guy with colorful outfit on the Sartorilist style of dressing) I some times look at the jerk offs with thier ed Hardy shirts and True relegion jeans running around and think am I too dressed up? I know that I am way better dressed but sometimes I think should I just wear jeans and a tee shirt?

chronic

Reaction score
usually a nice buttondown, blazer, dark jeans, and "sporty" dress shoes. minus the blazer in the summer.

Karo

Reaction score
Nothing but a smile.
smile.gif

Depends on the type. Younger more relaxed atmosphere I would wear jeans and nice top/jacket while more mature/classy places I would wear suit minus tie.

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
usually some sort of jacket/cardigan, a t-shirt, jeans and sneakers.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Same stuff you see me wearing in the WAYWT threads, I don't switch outfits unless there's a very good reason. Last time I was at Marquee I think I was wearing Carol Christian Poell side zip boots...

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
The last time I went to Marquee I wanted to barf, not due to the liquor consumed.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
The last time I went to Marquee I wanted to barf, not due to the liquor consumed.

I was tempted to add to my post "and the next time I'll go there I'll wear whatever my devilish captors will impose on me because I'm definitely not going back on my own free will" but I didn't want to derail the thread in that direction. Since you started...

newinny

Reaction score
Last time I went to Marquee I met a playmate, good times to be had there.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who goes to Marquee?? A bunch of dorky banking analysts and bridge and tunnel girls.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads