• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ray-Ban Wayfarer

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
There's nothing nicer than looking through your uncles closet and finding a pair of Wayfarers from the 80s and him going 'oh those, they're still popular?' and bam, new sunglasses.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
But it's a classic Americana accessory. Everyone should own a pair.

True dat. Sadly I don't own a pair, but need to fix that asap. I'd like a pair of tortoise with green tinted lenses.

redgrail

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vvoc
had two pairs. sold them. now i wear persol 649s. i began feeling like a tool wearing them (mainly cause everyone else i saw wearing them looked like a tool on campus)
I'm going to sell mine for the exact same reason... A shame, really, but too true.

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I never see anyone wearing them around here, and I've been planning to get some for a bit. I need prescription lenses, so I'll be getting the smaller size 2132s in tortoise with brown polarized lenses. May eventually get a black pair for when I wear black. I also need a pair of eyeglasses. Thinking Brooks or Polo, probably something a little western looking. Not sure yet.

redgrail

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since I got a couple of PMs asking for deets on my glasses, I figured I'd just post them here:
They're "Original Wayfarers", product code: RB2140 (that's the original 50s style ones, not the 80s ones) with glossy black frame and grey lenses. Original case and cleaning cloth comes with. Minor scrape on button of case. Paid $130 new, worn maybe 5 times, minor scrape on the case like I said, but glasses in like new condition. Looking for ~100. Just trying to minimize losses and get some money to get some other sunglasses that will look more acceptable in my relatively preppy environment. Not much of a rebel, I guess..
tounge.gif

I'll put up a thread in B&S when I get my act together and manage to take some pics. Feel free to PM me though.

redgrail

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey, I have an idea. Post something worthwhile for once. I'm just dying to see what's hiding behind that facade.

When you tear down the curtain - is there really a wizard behind there, or just some guy named Oscar?

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by redgrail
Since I got a couple of PMs asking for deets on my glasses, I figured I'd just post them here: They're "Original Wayfarers", product code: RB2140 (that's the original 50s style ones, not the 80s ones) with glossy black frame and grey lenses. Original case and cleaning cloth comes with. Minor scrape on button of case. Paid $130 new, worn maybe 5 times, minor scrape on the case like I said, but glasses in like new condition. Looking for ~100. Just trying to minimize losses and get some money to get some other sunglasses that will look more acceptable in my relatively preppy environment. Not much of a rebel, I guess..
tounge.gif
I'll put up a thread in B&S when I get my act together and manage to take some pics. Feel free to PM me though.

They can be found new for $90. http://sunglasses-express.stores.yah...banrbwaii.html I'd really like the tortoise though I think since I have a similar pair in black already. Looking on ebay, how can I tell if the wayfarers are the 50s or the 80s version? Seems the original 50s vintage are the B&L 5022 and the 80s is the B&L 5024 but this is only the lens I think? None of the ebay auctions list any other model number to tell which is which.

redgrail

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's a good deal. I bought them this summer for 130 from a brick-and-mortar store here. But hey, I'm just a guy with sunglasses that didn't work out, not a store and clearly not doing this for profit. Send me an offer if you want them. Or just wait until I put something on B&S.
Otherwise, let's stop spamming up the thread.

grunhauser

Reaction score
Never met a Wayfarer wearer I really liked. All seemed to be sad bastards who were desperately hanging on to some smelly past.
And the new trend! It is nothing but a Luxottica funded campaign to sell cheap, made in China reproductions to unsuspecting youth.

bant

Reaction score
a luxottica funded campaign? what an outrageous accusation. i demand to see your source of such information!

surely the owners of such a classic can't be blamed for producing this model, no?

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Trying to find some on ebay and none of them look like the originals that Audrey Hepburn wore:

ray_bans_breakfast_at_tiffanys.jpg

They all look to be more like the ones Tom Cruise wore in Risky Business.

risky_business.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads