• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Tour of Northampton

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I am working on a magazine piece about the shoe industry in Northampton. The piece will not come out for a while, but I just returned from the research trip.

Most of what I have to say I will save for the article. But a lot of what I saw will not be of interest to the magazine (readers or editors) but possibly will be of interest to Style Forum members. Ditto the pics. So here goes.

My first stop was Edward Green. The current factory is in a sort of suburban area, but within the Northampton town limits. The street it's on is mostly populated by car dealerships.

p1020359ba6.jpg

FYI, there are only five factories still in Northampton town: Green, Lobb, Church's, Crockett & Jones, and Trickers. The are a few others in the surrounding towns in the county. I was told by a number of people that the height of the trade, around WW1, there more more than 100 factories in the town. In 1945, there were 42. Today, five.

Anyway, Green moved into its current factory around 2002. Until then the early '90s, they had been at the same location forever, which is now the Lobb factory. The current facility is modern, large, light and airy. Apparently, it was built as a shoe factory in the '60s, then was converted to a factory that made maritime fire extinguishers, and EG converted it back into a shoe factory.

The first stop was the conference room. (Sysdoc, if you are reading this, I was authorized to take every photo that I took on this trip!) It was filled with shoes -- and just any shoes, but the actual sample shoes that are photographed for the catalogue:

p1020364vb7.jpg

p1020365el9.jpg

p1020366kp1.jpg

I interviewed Hillary Freeman at some length (thanks for being so generous with your time!) One of the points stressed was the difference wrought on the company by John Hlustik, who bought it when it was about to go under in 1982. Hillary pointed to a few of his changes as being really significant:

• Movement away from black shoes and toward brown
  • Switch from aniline to crust leathers
  • Development of antiquing
  • Refinement of the lasts
  • Improvements in finishing
Now, your first reaction may be to call BS and think she is exaggerating in a way that favors her company. Maybe. But I talked to a lot of people, including many of her competitors. And I found that there is a tremendous reverence for Hlustik in Northampton. People give him credit not just for reviving Edward Green but for saving the entire industry, or at least making it better.

Anyway, to illustrate, she showed me a pre-Hlustik shoe:

p1020367zw0.jpg

p1020368ba2.jpg

Not a bad looking shoe. But note the totally uniform color, the somewhat blobby last (303 as I recall), the uninspiring sole and waist treatment, and the slightly slap-dash finishing. Contemporary EG shoes are miles ahead of that one.

Then she got to talking about Top Drawer. She stressed that many improvements have already been made into the line since it was restarted a year or two ago, and many of the practices that Top Drawer had introduced had also been introduced into the standard line. Now, I had been a skeptic of Top Drawer back when I saw the first new examples in 2006. But the newer ones are much better, and much more worthy of the high price. The waists -- still machine welted -- are a lot tighter, the heels neater, and the finishing overall just much better:

p1020369pg0.jpg

p1020372bz9.jpg

The pics could be better, but it's hard to get much closer than that.

Next, I went through the factory. First stop, clicking room.

p1020386bn5.jpg

All those plastic bins contain the patterns for shoe parts, basically the templates (graded by size) for the pieced of leather that get stitched together to make a shoe. These thingies:

p1020380ae8.jpg

All Edward Green shoes are clicked by hand, using a knife like this:

p1020388nn1.jpg

These things are kept incredibly sharp, and must be sharpened constantly. Sharpening is itself a skill, not unlike keeping a kitchen knife in working order, only more difficult.

The other method is to use forms, like cookie cutters (I forgot the correct name), and a pneumatic press that punches them through the leather. This is faster, but it has two disadvantages. First, making the forms is a huge expense. Second, they cannot be so easily sharpened, and they cut less precisely, with more "hair" at the edges. More on this later, when we get to Alfred Sargent.

Nearly all the skins that Green (and others) use is from veal calves, averaging about eight months old when killed. Northampton used to be a huge tannery site but no longer. All the best leather now comes from the Alps (France, Germany, Switzerland, Italy). Here is a full skin of black boxcalf from France, which will make three or at most four pairs of shoes:

p1020381fg4.jpg

Look at this closeup and you can see grainy patterns called "growth," i.e., literally where the calf had a growth spurt:

p1020382eb3.jpg

Shoes like Chelseas and wholecuts must avoid growth at all costs. Broguing can hide growth somewhat. But still a lot of growth-marred skin just gets tossed.

Some clicked pieces with no growth:

p1020387mf5.jpg

Clickers at work:

p1020391lh0.jpg

p1020392fy9.jpg

The next step is "skiving." This is shaving off some leather around the edges of each panel. This makes the needle go through more easily in closing, and it makes the edges lie flatter and smoother (less bulk) on the finished shoe. See the gray edge? That's where leather has been shaved off:

p1020397ud6.jpg

Broguing and gimping are added by a special machine. Take a toe cap:

p1020406vf4.jpg

Select the bit that punches or cuts the pattern you want:

p1020410ag3.jpg

For instance, left bit: small gimp, right bit: large gimp (this pic is actually from Tony Gaziano's production line at Alfred Sargent):

p1020497ye7.jpg

Run it through the machine; this is done by eye and hand. That is, the curves are totally human created. The sweep of a wing tip, for instances, has no machine pattern. It depends on the skill of the operator.

p1020409fq3.jpg

Next, the panels are glued together. The glue is not meant to hold them together for the long term, nor could it. It's meant to hold them, together for closing.

p1020424bz6.jpg

Linings are glued/taped in:

p1020426dp0.jpg

p1020427lp2.jpg

Then the shoe is closed. Again, all the curves are turned by hand and eye:

p1020434df2.jpg

Most closing is done by machine, but not all of it. The Dover aprons, famously, are sewn by hand:

p1020415is0.jpg

p1020414tx9.jpg

Time for lasting:

p1020442ap4.jpg

Almost. First, the insole is cut, and that white ridge is attached (again, I forgot it's name). The welt is sewn to that ridge. This is a key difference between a hand-welted and a machine welted shoe. On a hand-welted shoe, the insole is much thicker, and the ridge is literally carved out of the leather; there is no separate piece. I think this helps account for the handmade shoe's superior lightness and springiness.

p1020443aa2.jpg

EG shoes are mostly hand-lasted:

p1020444cl3.jpg

But a machine can stretch the toe much tighter than the hand:

p1020448ef4.jpg

A lasted shoe. Note the color of the leather. That's crust burgundy. The color you see out of the box is applied with polish, by hand:

p1020451jo9.jpg

p1020449sb3.jpg

Time to rest. The shoes are left on the last for a week or so, and shrunk-wrapped to protect the uppers from the rigors of what is to come:

p1020453aw7.jpg

Wooden shanks:

p1020455qx6.jpg

Cork filler:

p1020456qg1.jpg

You can see that the welts are already on. I don't know what happened to my shots of welting, but they are gone. Oh well. I got plenty at other factories. TK.

Attaching the outsole:

p1020461jb4.jpg

p1020463pm8.jpg

Cutting the channel:

p1020465aa4.jpg

p1020472su1.jpg

Sadly, at this point, my camera battery died.
frown.gif

But before it did, I passed by a couple of stations of interest.

Ever wonder who writes the model/size/last number by hand in your pair of Greens? Now you know!

p1020399hp3.jpg

Finally, Top Drawer has its own room, the Holiest of Holies as it were:

p1020440sv3.jpg

There are a lot of differences now, but the main thing is the finishing. This is where it all happens:

p1020438md0.jpg

More to come.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Manton, great pictures and write up thank you for sharing!
bigstar[1].gif

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Spectacular post, Manton. How would you compare Top Drawer to Lobb Prestige?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Spectacular post, Manton. How would you compare Top Drawer to Lobb Prestige?

It's sort of an arms race. At this point the combatants are Lobb, G&G and EG. Lobb Prestige came first and was the best hands down. Then EG introduced Top Drawer and it lagged at first. G&G came next and it was better than both. EG has since refined Top Drawer, making it at least as good as G&G and better than Lobb Prestige. For now. What's interesting -- and exciting -- is that they all have an eye on one another and are doing their best to get and keep that #1 spot. The quality improvents at all three are palpable, but so are the price increases.
frown.gif

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
It's sort of an arms race. At this point the combatants are Lobb, G&G and EG. Lobb Prestige came first and was the best hands down. Then EG introduced Top Drawer and it lagged at first. G&G came next and it was better than both. EG has since refined Top Drawer, making it at least as good as G&G and better than Lobb Prestige. For now. What's interesting -- and exciting -- is that they all have an eye on one another and are doing their best to get and keep that #1 spot. The quality improvents at all three are palpable, but so are the price increases.
frown.gif

Improvement to Lobb Prestige? I'd love to hear what they are. The prices are getting insane though. EG standard shoes are selling for what JLP cost 4 years ago. It looks like all my future shoes will be Aldens.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Manton how would the waist of EG TD lain compare to G&G's?
newwaist.jpg
p1020372bz9.jpg

from what i saw in tokyo of the EG TD they were still a notch behind

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
That black and white spec I posted was the lastest generation of TD. It compares very well to G&G, and possibly has the edge. Possibly. A year ago, I would have said that G&G blows TD out of the water. I can't say that any more.

Robwynge

Reaction score
What a fabulous post! I greatly look forward to more in the series.

Many thanks!

-Rob

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
i'd say close call! i would hate to have the casting vote!
blush.gif

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Perhaps someone can educate me about this: I don't understand the point of all the beautiful sole detailing. Don't get me wrong, it is beautiful, but it get's all scraped up after you've worn your shoes for a while.

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Awesome post. Looking forward to your posts about other factories.

P.S. I think the white ridge you refer to is known as "the feather".

nmoraitis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Perhaps someone can educate me about this: I don't understand the point of all the beautiful sole detailing. Don't get me wrong, it is beautiful, but it get's all scraped up after you've worn your shoes for a while.

If there were no beautiful soles, what would some of us brag about?
smile.gif
I agree with you though, a lot of extra cost goes into those beautiful soles that is more or less disappear after several wears.

Very nice post Manton!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads