• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things you just can't understand...

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
- The Aristocrats joke and why it's funny...i once stumbled upon a website with many variations of this joke; i like tasteless humor but the charm of this joke is completely lost on me. - Why celebrities will flock to a place like Mr. Chow's where the prices are high for what is essentially imitation Chinese. Even more so for regular folk who go there to be treated like crap just to hope to rub shoulders with their idols (i myself never went here, but have heard quite a few horror stories). - The appeal of HK actor Tony Leung Chiu Wai. I liked him in the brief vignette at the end of Days of Being Wild but other than that, i fail to see what makes him deserving of his superstar/iconic status. He acts with pretty much the same 2-3 expressions in everything he's in, and off screen he is not particularly much of a style icon or interesting personality. Same goes for his "girlfriend" Carina Lau. feel free to add your own...

Jupiter

Reaction score
Why celebrities who wear converse all stars with formal wear to functions are not turned away at the door. Nobody is that important.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
1) I love the Aristocrats. The joke isn't the punchline; but, it is what builds up to it.
2) Mr. Chow is alright. I enjoyed Philippe better, even though I was drunk and puked in the bathroom. When I was at Mr. Chow in LA Paris Hilton (when she was with Paris) and Cheech Marin were both dining. The way they make the noddles and bang it around on the table may be considered entertainment to some.
3) Must be an HK thing.

From my own list...
-People that think Jessica Alba or Scarlet Johnason are pretty and/or good actresses.
-People who follow organized religon.
-People who micro manage.

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC

From my own list...
-People that think Jessica Alba or Scarlet Johnason are pretty and/or good actresses.

Agree with this ... kinda. Alba's never been a good actress and i haven't found her attractive since Idle Hands, but I still find Scarlett somewhat appealing (but a crap actress).

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
-People that think Scarlet Johnason are pretty and/or good actresses.
-People who follow organized religon.
-People who micro manage.

1) For me it's the **** and ass. Not the talent/face.
2)Agreed, although I used to.
3) +1.

hi-val

Reaction score
-Fans of heavy metal who take it seriously. For example, people who regard Immortal (GIS it) as a serious group. To me, they look like caricatures and they're in on the joke, but apparently not.

-Anime and Japan-obsession in general. To the point where people I know have moved there permanently. I never got being so distanced from your own culture that you grew up in that you want to abandon it for one that will never, ever, accept you as one of their own.

-Listening to music that's on the radio. It's all so overproduced and engineered so that it is offensive to nobody, or if it's annoying, it's still catchy (think Hollaback Girl).

I'm really trying hard to not be judgy; if these things make people happy then I'm happy for that, but they're things I genuinely do not understand.

juniper

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fade to Black
- The Aristocrats joke and why it's funny...i once stumbled upon a website with many variations of this joke; i like tasteless humor but the charm of this joke is completely lost on me.

The original joke is simple. Aristocrats are incestuous. At least, in Europe they are.

For some reason they spent the whole film pretending that the joke was only ever about the build-up and that it never had that core. Of course, it is all about the build-up now, and that's fine.

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
-Why the Thai restaurant near my apartment never gives me enough rice, but gives me overflowing amounts of curry that takes me three sitting to finish (once I make more rice at home).
- How people fall for televangelists
- How rediculous televangelists are for demanding that poor people give them 10% of their money while the "preachers" drive around in Bentleys
- Athiests who meet weekly in a formal setting to talk about being athiests

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by juniper
The original joke is simple. Aristocrats are incestuous. At least, in Europe they are.

now that you put it in that context i appreciate it a bit more, i even let out a smirk. But i don't find long narratives of detailed incest/pedophilia/scat/etc. particularly funny. I guess when it comes to jokes i prefer those that are short and sharp.

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
another thing i don't get:

-Why restaurants will gladly offer you extra rice, perhaps at a slight charge, but when I ask them to do extra noodles in my pad thai/noodle soup/what have you they say it's their restaurant policy they can't do it, not even if i pay more. Sometimes the ineptitude of such businesses really makes me wonder...

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
- why Asians are so into hypebeasting (esp. after reading the Supreme thread on Superfuture)...I can understand appreciating and understanding a brand and therefore adopting it into your style, but liking something for the sake of following a crowd that doesn't particularly reflect any sense of individuality or good taste really baffles me.

- why people line up for clubs. In my clubbing days I would walk past places like Sugar and Beijing and shake my head at the kids who were standing around the block or on a step of stairs waiting their turn...i was never a big shot, but often times i would simply walk up front, be assertive and polite with the bouncer, and never had a problem just walking in.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hi-val
-
-Anime and Japan-obsession in general. To the point where people I know have moved there permanently. I never got being so distanced from your own culture that you grew up in that you want to abandon it for one that will never, ever, accept you as one of their own.

Similarly, I don't understand why people go to conventions for TV shows, games, and anime. I also don't understand why you'd want to dress up in costumes for the conventions.

AX07_naruto_500.jpg

And furries - wtf?

cat_furry.jpg

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
American Idol and the utterly bollocks music that comes with it.

fftfft

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hi-val
Agreed. Personally I've seen an even more confusing extension of this, which is the large intersection between this culture and a particular subculture of computer science students. Mostly disappeared from view (or perhaps better hidden) when I began graduate school, but as an undergraduate it seemed substantial.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
People who jaywalk 5 ft from a crosswalk, with kid in tow (or even a baby stroller as I've seen)

Why Fedex ground has to go thru their Memphis main hub...so a ground shipment from LA to Pasadena goes thru Memphis and takes 2-3 days for a 20 minute distance.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads