• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Sartorialist over the years

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
He is coming to DC next week, so you can let him know about your objection in person.

Yes, his show will be at the Adamson Gallery starting tomorrow. Not sure when it ends. Reception on the 19th, I think.

b

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
I don't know what legitimate reason there is for having control over what gets posted though. I guess I can assume the best and think he does it to keep the nasty stuff out.
You just answered yourself? Just look at the previous threads here on styleforum where his pictures are mentioned and you'll find all sorts of colorful descriptions and insults.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the blog.

When he started it, I think he was very underemployed. So he had time to walk around and picture ordinary folk.

Now he gets paid to go to shows, and also to shoot spreads, so the subjects within camera range have changed.

I like pix of regular folk, and I like pix of industry folk. They've all styled themselves, and often there is something I can learn from.

Whenever I have met him (twice, once at his NYC gallery opening and once outside a show during Fashion Week) he was friendly and levelheaded. His own comments here and on his own blog are the same.

Moss

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
What is he going to photograph? Short sleeve dress shirts, Hush Puppies and pocket protecters?

In many hidden corners of government buildings, he may find a few bizarre examples of the vintage fashion pastiche he likes to photograph. Scary, yes, but inventive nonetheless as it often spans several decades.

khaki sack

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
The other thing I've noticed is that his following has become almost sycophantic. There is more than a bit of unadulterated praise no matter the look.

Yes , we can even see this behavior, here in this thread .

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The_Game07
I never read the comments

yeah they kind of ruin the pictures for me. too much nit picking going on...

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by khaki sack
Yes , we can even see this behavior, here in this thread .

rolleyes.gif

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Harris
I've never understood the hate for the Sartorialist. I enjoyed his blog then and enjoy it now.

I think "hate" is the wrong term. At leat for me. I enjoy seeing some of the pictures. They can be inspiring.

What I don't care for is the shift away from on the street shots. I understand and can accept that it had to happen. It's a sign of Scott's success and that's great for him. I just don't like those pictures as much (or at all sometimes).

I don't care about this woman's fashion pedigree--she looks like ****. (Had to link, picture wouldn't come up in the thread.)

b

nerdykarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Harris
I've never understood the hate for the Sartorialist. I enjoyed his blog then and enjoy it now.

Another +1 (though I only read it once a month or so).

One thing to consider is that the people of whom he takes pictures now seem to know him and his blog--they're in "the industry." Presumably, if they're more likely to read the comments, they should be censored a little bit. Nobody wants some asshole from Minnesota talking **** about them (and/or their sense of style) after they let someone put their photograph on the internet for a lot of people (and it really is a lot of people now) to see.

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mack11211
I like the blog.

When he started it, I think he was very underemployed. So he had time to walk around and picture ordinary folk.

Now he gets paid to go to shows, and also to shoot spreads, so the subjects within camera range have changed.

I like pix of regular folk, and I like pix of industry folk. They've all styled themselves, and often there is something I can learn from.

Whenever I have met him (twice, once at his NYC gallery opening and once outside a show during Fashion Week) he was friendly and levelheaded. His own comments here and on his own blog are the same.

I enjoy his photographs and almost never read the comments, unless there is an outfit that really speaks to me. The change in his subjects over time really seems to be a natural progression of his life experiences. In that light, I'm a little surprised by the callous lack of understanding some of the earlier posters seem to exhibit. Not exactly thrilled by his fan club, but that is different from the man himself. His pictures of industry folk seem to capture a range of individuals, not just the "beautiful people." Granted, the range is probably narrower than if all his photos were of the "every(wo)man" on the street, but this certainly doesn't mean that he's now the The "CondeNastist."

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Agree with the general sentiment. Tho I do still enjoy looking at his blog

His best shots are still the random fella he sees walking around. The industry fellas he shoots arent as interesting because most of them have an artificial hipness to their look, rather than a personal one.

I know many would disagree but I actually like the street shots Mr TheFashionist shoots.
blush.gif

Tumbleweed

Reaction score
I made a post about a year ago on this subject and it's only got more apparent since then. It's unavoidable to detect that Mr.Schuman has ceased photographing what made him famous, that is the man/woman on the street, in favour of the fashionista. His blog was originally about the average person doing a unique and effective look, the kind of thing that gives birth to a trend. Now it's all fashion industry insiders wearing clothes that are already trendy (and really by extension safe and boring)

This is a terrible pity, since he used to showcase many unique and creative looks. This is most obvious in his female subjects, he often posts three or four photos in a row that all look identical.

Socal hits the point precisely, he's become an appendage of CondeNast.

Jupiter

Reaction score
I like his blog and will continue to look at it, but would prefer more "man and woman on the street who are not running to a fashion show where they must dress to sell or impress" pictures.

And I will admit, I have read the comments and I am pretty happy that I don't get some of the stuff, as it looks like it comes from a future where fashion has merged with comedy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads