• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Sartorialist over the years

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was just curious what people thought about The Sartorialist lately. When I first started reading (looking?) it was all street shots. Over time, as we all know, he's taken on new jobs and gotten many new great opportunities. That's great for him. However, there's been a real change in the blog.

The obvious change is the number of shots of the people who go to the shows in NYC, Milan, and other places, and of women. It's no longer "the man [and occassional woman] on the street." I miss the men's shots though I understand the change is a natural result of his schedule.

The other thing I've noticed is that his following has become almost sycophantic. There is more than a bit of unadulterated praise no matter the look. At the same time there is a slight attitude of "if you don't like it, you just don't get it." A holier than thou attitude. A recent picture of Anna Piaggi is a great example. Or the guy in the "academic" cape. Or the guy from last year in the britches and newsboy cap.

I've really lost my interest in it because of this. Or maybe I just need to not read the comments (nor post any).

Any thoughts?

b

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
I think the same thing and have thought the same thing for a while.

The_Game07

Reaction score
In 2005/2006 I loved reading, but lately, just seems to take pics on industry people at shows. very few, ''on my way to work'/ lunch' type shots.

I used to check 4 or 5 times a week. Nowadays I dont see any inspiration and check once a week.

Panzeraxe II

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
I think the same thing and have thought the same thing for a while.

Same here - as his blog has become more boring he seems to have gotten more arrogant. I remember when he was just starting out he used to post on the forums soliciting comments.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
I think the last time people here were talking about him he popped his head in.

But, yes, to a girl in Missouri I am sure seeing pictures of fashion editors go to fashion shows is fantastic. I couldn't give a ****.
He should rename his blog to The CondeNastist.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
I also think he helps bolster his own arrogance by only posting positive responses to the pictures and not negative ones.

khaki sack

Reaction score
When he does post , critical comments, he will attack the commentator and try to defend his choice of photo. Usually this comes across as ultra sensitive , touchy, bitchy. The blog has declined.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In his defense he does publish plenty of negative comments (again see the recent Anna Piaggi and Harry Potter-esque guy).

On the same note, I was essentially told off for saying something negative and slightly mean. (I said Piaggi looked like the homeless lady where I catch my bus.) I asked, in response, would it be okay if I said Piaggi looked like "an exquisitely stylish bad lady"? I think his fans would be okay with that. Just not the negative comparison.

I don't know what legitimate reason there is for having control over what gets posted though. I guess I can assume the best and think he does it to keep the nasty stuff out.

b

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He is coming to DC next week, so you can let him know about your objection in person.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
He is coming to DC next week

What is he going to photograph? Short sleeve dress shirts, Hush Puppies and pocket protecters?

khaki sack

Reaction score
If we're lucky , sack suits, Brooks Brothers OCBDs , Alden tassel loafers

Originally Posted by Manton
What is he going to photograph? Short sleeve dress shirts, Hush Puppies and pocket protecters?

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was never too much of a fan of the website, but did thoroughly enjoy the random street shots of well-attired people. Nowadays too many fashion show shots have really made the site much less appealing.

I do not blame Scott. This is natural evolution from the creator of a relatively anonymous site to the mulitple opportunities that he now enjoys.

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LOL @ Manton's comment...

i look at his blog sometimes, i pretty much don't give a crap about the comments left. Sometimes there's interesting shots, other times there aren't.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've never understood the hate for the Sartorialist. I enjoyed his blog then and enjoy it now.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Harris
I've never understood the hate for the Sartorialist. I enjoyed his blog then and enjoy it now.

+1

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads