• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What did you eat last night for dinner?

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What my girlfriend insists is called a New York strip, with boiled new potatoes, glazed chopped onions, champignons and salad:
DSC02842.jpg

Jerome

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lucky strike: I must say that nearly all your pics seem to be very tasty and well prepared- maybe apart from that "German excursion" (no offense)...fabienne: love the French cuisine- post more!

The other day I made a simple Quiche Lorraine for us- we also had a good green salad with that and some bottles of Burgundy that fit well, too...

P3050110.jpg

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
birthday002.jpg
fin de clair, kumamoto and tasmanian oysters
birthday003.jpg
abalone, shrimp cocktail, crabs
birthday004.jpg
Birthday cake for Mr. 24!

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Happy birthday!^

And, I don't know why I was craving this at 10 o'clock in the evening, but I made it anyway: Salt and pepper shrimp.

DSC_0012-1.jpg

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fade to Black
Birthday cake for Mr. 24!

You lucky bastard. Happy Bday 24.

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks for the b-day wishes guys

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
went out for ethiopian, a half dozen different veg and meat dishes on a platter, all sort of mushy in consistancy, a little spicy, basically the type of thing that I would call curries usually. not bad, very different spices from west african, indian, or pretty much any other food that I am used to.

the funniest part was one of my 16 month old girls really took to the food, she was digging in with her hand and shoveling it into her mouth (the food is meant to be eaten by hand, so it wasn't that out of place). the spice didn't bother her at all. I found it very amusing.

The Ethiopian restaurants around here tend to make the dishes very oily, unfortunately, so we've given up. But I have had good dishes in Montreal and a few other places around the world, never in the country itself, so it's hard to judge the authenticity. Would you recommend the one you went to? If it's in Chicago, I'll take a rec.

Last night, I made osso bucco, which I served with saffron risotto.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sunday: Vegetarian pasta with artichokes, red pepper, tomatoes, onion, lots of garlic and parmesan:
DSC02865.jpg

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fabienne
The Ethiopian restaurants around here tend to make the dishes very oily, unfortunately, so we've given up. But I have had good dishes in Montreal and a few other places around the world, never in the country itself, so it's hard to judge the authenticity. Would you recommend the one you went to? If it's in Chicago, I'll take a rec.

Last night, I made osso bucco, which I served with saffron risotto.

the one we went to is called addis abada on chicago ave in evanston - maybe 15 minutes from down down chicago - maybe 10 minutes off of 94, depending where you are coming from. I can't say it was fantastic - I am not such an authority, but we enjoyed it and the kids enjoyed it, and it has excellent reviews locally. and not very expensive.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GoSurface
Happy birthday!^

And, I don't know why I was craving this at 10 o'clock in the evening, but I made it anyway: Salt and pepper shrimp.

DSC_0012-1.jpg

Recipe please??

I've tried jerry rigging it, but never to good results

K

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
On sunday night I cooked lemon cilantro roasted chicken with lemon parmesan orzo. I was out of chicken stock so I had to buy some and use that.
frown.gif
Never again. Everything was done to perfection except for the sauce, which was way too salty after reduction. Why do they put salt in that stuff? don't they know people are going to reduce it? I should have known better. The sauce killed the taste of the paste that went under the chicken's skin. What I was less sure about was the side dish, which turned out really great. I should take pictures sometime but i'm usually too busy trying to get everything timed right. And I'd look like a real dork infront of my date if after I served, i said "i know you're hungry, but could you just wait a few minutes more while i get my dSLR and take some shots of this beautiful dish before you make a mess of your plate?"
bounce2.gif

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VKK3450
Recipe please??

I've tried jerry rigging it, but never to good results

K

Well, first, I use the whole shrimp.

And I sort of just guesstimate how much of what I'll need for the amount of shrimp I'm cooking.

Otherwise.

Salt
Pepper (ground black).
Pepper (dry red chili flakes, sometimes I use minced jalapeños)
Shrimp (of course).
Parsley
Garlic (Minced, I like to mix it in the flower, and sprinkle it on top).
Flower

It's pretty simple, shouldn't take longer than 10-15 minutes to make.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GoSurface
Well, first, I use the whole shrimp.

And I sort of just guesstimate how much of what I'll need for the amount of shrimp I'm cooking.

Otherwise.

Salt
Pepper (ground black).
Pepper (dry red chili flakes, sometimes I use minced jalapeños)
Shrimp (of course).
Parsley
Garlic (Minced, I like to mix it in the flower, and sprinkle it on top).
Flower

It's pretty simple, shouldn't take longer than 10-15 minutes to make.

Thanks, I've tried the same general idea, but it never comes out quite right.

One of my fav dishes when I am in Hong Kong (usually with squid), but for some reason every place in the UK batters the hell out of it and then doesnt fry it hot enough so it turns out all soggy.

K

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VKK3450
Thanks, I've tried the same general idea, but it never comes out quite right.

One of my fav dishes when I am in Hong Kong (usually with squid), but for some reason every place in the UK batters the hell out of it and then doesnt fry it hot enough so it turns out all soggy.

K

You're not mixing the flower with eggs or water are you? You should use dry shrimp, and just cover them with dry flower. And, get your oil really hot.

topcatny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Roasted whole chicken with olive oil salt and pepper, lemon, garlic and thyme.
Roasted red skin potatoes and onions with olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper
Peas
a very cheap pinot grigio.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads