• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Worst hotel--can anyone beat this?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Reading those reviews, I kept thinking of scenes from The Wire.

B1FF

Reaction score
There are much worse hotels in Detroit. They just don't make it onto Trip Advisor. This one isn't even in a particularly area.

Brad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mikej77
Those are some of the funniest reviews I have ever read.

I laughed so hard I was crying. Downtown Detroit is in need of some serious help.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Chinese hotels can be substandard, but I've never really encountered anything egregious.

How are the hotels in Constantinople?

tattersall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the-building.jpg

Looks like it's in North Korea...

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
What a pity, looks like a nice historical building. They should restore it instead of letting it slowly disintegrate. I could see them letting a ugly early 70's hotel go into disrepair, but this building looks far too nice to give up on
frown.gif

Detroit has a lot of nice historical buildings going to seed--it's a whole city going to seed. http://www.flickr.com/photos/detroit...7601861458499/

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Karo
Try staying at a hotel in China.

Depends where it is in China.

Chinese hotels can be substandard, but I've never really encountered anything egregious.

+1

A few years ago I was fortunate to go to Hong Kong a few times.

I stayed at the Peninsula, The InterContinental, and The Mandarin.

To say they were wonderful is an understatement. I'm sure there are cheap places in Hong Kong, but they are probably still better than Detroit's low end places.

Does inner city Detroit even have a fine hotel?

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Karo
Try staying at a hotel in China.

Some of the best hotels I have stayed at were in India and China.

Unfortunately you mostly need to stay at either Western chains or hotels that cater to the Western market rather than the ones that cater to locals.

Last year a business contact booked me into a Chinese "5 star" hotel which on the face of it offered everything you could look for. But the rooms reeked of smoke, the whiskey was not actually what was in the bottle, and street food would have been better than the restaurant (I like street food btw). Ohhh and most of the few shops that were actually open were selling fake Armani, Burberry, etc...

I have also stayed in small privately run guest houses in Asia that while not offering the same range of amenities or luxuries, were clean, welcoming, centrally located and very charming. But these are very hit or miss (more frequently miss) and hard to find unless someone books it for you.

K

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last, but certainly not least, the place literally looks like a haunted mansion built sometime in the early 19th century...
i'd like to visit.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A lot of those Chinese 5-star hotels are not actually 5-star hotels. You need to check if they have the State Certification, which is a plaque displayed in the lobby.

But then some of them are kind of downmarket regardless of being state-certified. If you want a good hotel, look for a State Guesthouse, which are hotels built specifically for dignitaries, etc. but also offer rooms for paying guests.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A lot of those Chinese 5-star hotels are not actually 5-star hotels. You need to check if they have the State Certification, which is a plaque displayed in the lobby.

Yeah, thats why I put the "" around 5 star

K

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads