• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Barneys C&J Sizing

max power

Reaction score
Anyone know how the US sizing of C&Js sold by Barneys compares to the UK sizing of C&Js sold by Plal/Pediwear? Is it just a standard 1.0-size differential?

I tried on some C&Js for sizing at Barneys in NYC this weekend. Unfortunately, my only free time was on Sunday, when Turnbull & Asser (which has the C&J store) was closed. The C&J selection at Barneys was somewhat limited in the oxford department, but they did have some Belgraves (black and dark brown) and discounted Hallams (dark brown).

Sizing was in US figures, which the salesman told me he thought Barneys calculates by adding 1.0 to the UK size. I was just wondering whether anyone can confirm this information.

Interestingly, when I tried on the Belgraves (337 last) and Hallams (348), I came to the opposite conclusion of many in this thread, who found the 348 to be narrower than the 337. On my feet, which are a tad wide just behind the toes (where the inner bone protrudes to its widest spot) the Hallams seemed wider in the midsection and heel than the Belgraves. Using the Barneys sizing, I took a US 8.0 Hallam and a US 8.5 Belgrave. The Hallams also felt a bit more flexible and less substantial overall, which may be a function of the handgrade/benchgrade distinction. Attached is a cameraphone pic I snapped of the two shoes (each US 8.0) side-by-side.

sartort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
man, the 348 really is a long last. my 337 lasted shoes are slightly longer than my EG 888s and the 348s seem even more so. I think the design of the 348 is very nice, but feel that 337 lasted shoes might be a better value in the long run, not only for their handgrade construction, but also because the shape seems more classic and can withstand the whims of trends throughout the years.

sorry i can't help you with barney's US to UK sizing conversion, but I am interested in this as well.

dr.no

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am going to barney's tomorrow and will report my findings.

minimal

Reaction score
I seem to remember it's +1. One slightly annoying thing: there is no 12.5 in their 337-based special makeups, only a 12 and 13 (corresponding to a 11 and 12 in the UK designation).
The 12s are a touch tight and the 13s a little loose for me, c'est la vie.

max power

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Incidentally, the Hallams are on sale for around $330, if memory serves, which represents a nice discount.

As for the 348 last, I agree that the Hallams looked very elongated on my feet -- noticeably more so than the 337 Belgraves. I'm close to pulling the trigger on a pair of 348 Westbournes regardless, but satort's point regarding long term value is well taken.

dr.no

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe it's a 1-size difference (us9 = uk8), but I found the width to be slightly narrower (uk E > us D).

dr.no

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
So did you take your usual size?

Yes, I would've had I bought them (monk boots), but the color wasn't doing it for me.

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this has already been posted, but my Barney's is marking down lots of C&J stock to ca. $240. I just got a pair of Hallams in a nice medium brown for this price. There's a Jodhpur, a NST type thing w/ rubber sole, and a couple others.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads