• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tie space or no tie space?

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Zero tie space for me.

-

mmkn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
DocHolliday said:
I have a skinny neck and can use all the horizontal lines I can get.

I'm with Doc Holliday on this.

No tie space and I end up looking at how the collar fits with the rest of the getup.

Tie space and I see the person.

- M

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
i like point collars and point with no space looks sort of "gangsterish" so I like a little tie space.

Originally Posted by dopey
Thinking about this detail makes my head hurt.

Dittos. I like a little bit of space, but in the end it's a lot to think about. I don't get custom shirts, so I'm not sure what I can do about it anyway.

b

speedster.8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Tie space is, IMO, a necessity with a BD collar, a tab collar, or a closed point collar, and with certain pinned collars.. Not so necessary with a medium spread or wider. With my spread collars, I don't like tie space but prefer a perfect inverted "V". Tie space is also useful for men who wear big giant knots no matter what their collar shape. Tie space or no, I hate seeing collarband above the knot. Collars with tie space should have the tops of the bands angled downward where the collar buttons to help avoid this.
+1 As Im more prone to chose the wide spread collars & Windsors. And I Never wear a BD with a tie ... Speed

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I like a little tie space, and strongly dislike when a collar appears to overlap above the tie.

+1

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm showing up late to the topic, and lost count of who likes little to no tie space-- wonder what the underlying reason is for this preference?

for me, I'm embarassed to reveal the most likely reason-- the military probably engrained me with such rules and regulations for all manners of dress, much as I tried to veer away from it in civilian life I probably couldn't! Myself, I learned about clothing almost exclusively from Flusser and Boyer, whose "Rules" seemed like the ones to follow.

Sartorial Regulation-670-1, I'm ready for inspection.
smile.gif

*disclaimer* of course, Flusser and his ilk would disband me from any sartorial position i've acheived for my undone jacket sleeve buttons, but that is another story.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Tie space is, IMO, a necessity with a BD collar, a tab collar, or a closed point collar, and with certain pinned collars.. Not so necessary with a medium spread or wider. With my spread collars, I don't like tie space but prefer a perfect inverted "V".
Manton, can you explain this?

Kei-bon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I have a skinny neck and can use all the horizontal lines I can get.
Thirded.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads