• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your thoughts on these two suits

DaveDr89

Reaction score
for the first suit, I'm not a fan of slanted pockets ... perhaps it's the pic, but the lapel appears to be a bit on the narrow side, but of course that depends on what you like and your body type. The second suit looks a bit nicer. I know you said that you want to stay in the $500-$700 range, but you will probably experience a big difference in quality by going up to $1000. E.g., I have a Hugo Boss suit that I bought for around $500, and also a Corneliani suit that I bought for a little over $1000, and there is a huge difference in quality.

mishon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't like either one. The sleeve ornament in the Ted Baker suit bothers me. CK looks decent in the picture but I doubt it is a quality suit.

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba

I'd love to buy a Bespoke suit, but i'm not looking to spend $1500. Even the least expensive in my area are $900 and i was told that they dont offer many materials to chose from.

How much time do you have? You could get a MTM from Thick as Thieves. I believe they're around your price point. I don't have one, but have liked all the pictures other members have posted here.

Bluefly have Ted Baker suits for a discount:

http://www.bluefly.com/pages/browse/...der_id=6160869

You might be able to find a coupon or something to bring the price down further.

Robertito

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mishon
I don't like either one. The sleeve ornament in the Ted Baker suit bothers me. CK looks decent in the picture but I doubt it is a quality suit.

Sleeve ornament? Do you mean the name tag that is meant to be removed before wearing?

cvac

Reaction score
Where are you located? The forum members might be able to offer some suggestions on what stores to visit if they have a rough idea of your location.

I would not buy either of those suits.

1) the Baker has slanted pockets, which makes it more fashion forward and less versatile. Not sure about the construction but I bet it's fused. Not a good value for the money.

2) I'm pretty sure all CK suits are fused. Thus, not a good value for the money. I don't see any problems with the styling though. Do not buy the black one. Get charcoal or some other color. If you really like CK suits, they can often be found at Filene's / TJ Maxx / Marshall's, etc. for a lot less money. Usually they go for $200-300.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My understanding is that this is a High end for a CK, italian made. Who knows what that truely entails however.

What i do know about Ted Baker is that his shirts fit a slim profile very well, so i'm willing to bet that it will fit me well.

thanks for the BlueFly suggestion, those are some damn good prices!

I'm certainly going with something other then black, i have a Black Varvatos that i really like, and i use that mostly at night, so i'm looking to expand my suit collection beyond black so i can use more color in my wardrobe.

Thanks, your opinions are appreciated!

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm checking out thick as thieves also, so far i like what i'm seeing!

gumercindo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cvac
Where are you located? The forum members might be able to offer some suggestions on what stores to visit if they have a rough idea of your location.

I would not buy either of those suits.

1) the Baker has slanted pockets, which makes it more fashion forward and less versatile. Not sure about the construction but I bet it's fused. Not a good value for the money.

2) I'm pretty sure all CK suits are fused. Thus, not a good value for the money. I don't see any problems with the styling though. Do not buy the black one. Get charcoal or some other color. If you really like CK suits, they can often be found at Filene's / TJ Maxx / Marshall's, etc. for a lot less money. Usually they go for $200-300.

The desciption of the CK said it's "fully lined". Does that equate to fully canvassed?

robasaurus

Reaction score
From my understanding of CK suits, for that price it is likely not their high-end. If that is indeed the case, then it will most definitely be fused. And all of the cheaper CK suits I've come across have been a fairly boxy cut. The Ted Baker suit will be fused as well, but will likely be closer to the slim cut you're looking for.

If you want my two cents on it, I would never buy a CK suit, regardless of whether it's fused or canvassed. I don't like the styling or the cut of anything I've seen, and from what I've seen, they're all overpriced if you're paying retail.

correction: After going back and looking at the CK suit again, it may be a different cut than what I'm used to seeing, based on the fact that it's a 7 inch drop instead of 6. Either way, at that price point I can almost guarantee it's fused.

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robasaurus
From my understanding of CK suits, for that price it is likely not their high-end. If that is indeed the case, then it will most definitely be fused. And all of the cheaper CK suits I've come across have been a fairly boxy cut. The Ted Baker suit will be fused as well, but will likely be closer to the slim cut you're looking for.

If you want my two cents on it, I would never buy a CK suit, regardless of whether it's fused or canvassed. I don't like the styling or the cut of anything I've seen, and from what I've seen, they're all overpriced if you're paying retail.

correction: After going back and looking at the CK suit again, it may be a different cut than what I'm used to seeing, based on the fact that it's a 7 inch drop instead of 6. Either way, at that price point I can almost guarantee it's fused.

I would say that "high-end" for Calvin Klein is the Collection line. I have a fully-canvassed Calvin Klein Collection suit that is quite classically styled. However, you won't be able to get a Collection line suit in the price range you're looking for, as they probably run >US$2K (? - it's been a few years so I can't remember how much I paid).

The Ted Baker suits are fused and you probably shouldn't pay full retail for them, as that won't really be value for money. I have one that I got for around US$250 (?? - bad memory again!
blush.gif
). I like it for what it is; younger and a bit more fashion-forward. It's not badly made or styled, but I think if you're willing to pay around US$500-700 I would go with Thick as Thieves. Besides, it's so much cooler to have a MTM suit rather than an OTR one. Plus, you can support a member of the forum!

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've inquired about the TAT suit, if that comes out to a price in a reasonable range, i think i will go for for that.

cvac

Reaction score
No. The lining has nothing to do with whether or not it's fused or canvassed. 99.9% of suits just about anywhere are "fully lined". That is just the bemberg/rayon/nylon lining that touches your shirt. It doesn't speak to the construction of the suit.

Re: Made in Italy - again, that doesn't tell you anything about the quality either. I've seen several suits that were made in Italy, some expensive, some not that were fully or partially fused. It really doesn't mean anything.

Do not judge a maker's suits based on an experience with their shirts. You may like the suit or you may not, but you won't know until you get it.

Re: thick as theives - if you want the suit for going out or clubbing or whatever it will be fine. But if you need a suit for work or interviews or anything else that requires a more conservative look, I would not buy a t.a.t. suit.

Originally Posted by gumercindo
The desciption of the CK said it's "fully lined". Does that equate to fully canvassed?

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
I've inquired about the TAT suit, if that comes out to a price in a reasonable range, i think i will go for for that.

Are they still offering a discount for forum members? I was planning on making inquiries myself, but wasn't sure if that was still in effect.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads