• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by denning
Having just passed the one year anniversary on my PBJ xx-005s I am now on the prowl for a new pair of jeans. I bought a pair of the Ande Whall Grifters, but they fit a little too large on me and so I am planning on selling these in the B&S. In the mean time I am now looking for a new pair. I love the true straight leg fit on my PBJs and I'm looking for something similar (~8" opening), but I'm open to trying new fits (such as APC NS). My PBJs are a 32 but I probably should have gotten a 31. Right now the candidates include:

APC New Standard (30)
KMW 1980s (31)
Acne Mic Raw (I don't know what size. Advice?)

I have reviewed all the threads on these and am leaning to one pair in particular right now, but any other suggestions or comparisons between these would be greatly appreciated.

Much obliged.

1980s are the best quality and cut of the ones you've mentioned.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stvwrd
Okay, so a few months ago I didn't know about premium denim until I found this site. I've read up a bit, but since there's not much premium denim in Seoul (and if there is, I'm sure it's absurdly marked up), I've been planning to wait until I go back to the US on vacation in a couple months.

However, a Uniqlo just opened near my house, and I'm desperately needing some new jeans, so tonight I bought a pair of the black Selvedge Regular Fit jeans (about $60- already the most I've spent on jeans in my life) as a 'practice jean.'

I've spent the evening doing searches of the forums for info on these jeans though, and it seems like not all selvedge jeans are raw, and since these jeans are already fairly soft, I'm guessing they're not really "premium" jeans, and may not get the well-earned fade that I'm hoping for.

Should I just take them back and exchange them for the pre-faded jeans that fit a little better and I almost bought in the first place? I HAVE to get some jeans either way. I've lost 30 lbs and my old jeans (even the ones that used to be too small) look ridiculous on me.

I guess my question can be summarized like this: Will these jeans be a pain in the neck to fade?

Exchange them if you want faded jeans, one way or another. Yours are not "raw" and will not fade much, if at all. Black jeans are notoriously hard to fade even from a raw state.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Originally Posted by denning
Having just passed the one year anniversary on my PBJ xx-005s I am now on the prowl for a new pair of jeans. I bought a pair of the Ande Whall Grifters, but they fit a little too large on me and so I am planning on selling these in the B&S. In the mean time I am now looking for a new pair. I love the true straight leg fit on my PBJs and I'm looking for something similar (~8" opening), but I'm open to trying new fits (such as APC NS). My PBJs are a 32 but I probably should have gotten a 31. Right now the candidates include: APC New Standard (30) KMW 1980s (31) Acne Mic Raw (I don't know what size. Advice?) I have reviewed all the threads on these and am leaning to one pair in particular right now, but any other suggestions or comparisons between these would be greatly appreciated. Much obliged.
If you think you should've gotten a 31 in PBJs, you're probably a 29 in APC NS. Have you thought about Flathead f310? They fit pretty similar to PBJs from what i've heard and measurements. The fit pic on self edge isn't the most flattering but i've seen them look great on others. http://www.selfedge.com/shop/index.p...roducts_id=213 Also, the Samurai 710 is a similar fit to the PBJs but with a higher rise. These can be found http://blueingreensoho.com/site/inde...mart&Itemid=28 Kind of a NS type fit as it's tapered but comes off more as a straight leg than skinny. For a fun project jean i'd stay away from the Acne Mic Raws as the denim isn't nearly as fun as your PBJs or the other 2 japanese ones i mentioned. They can be dressed up more but the denim is rather unremarkable looking in person. Kind of the same with APC NS. edit: these are new at blue in green and if you size down to 30 it seems like it'd fit you well. Kind of expensive but the paul smith red ear stuff is nice. http://blueingreensoho.com/site/inde...mart&Itemid=28

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Completely new to high-quality denim, so here's a question: how long can I expect a pair to last? Thinking APC NS or SFx5EP, for example.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by breakz
Completely new to high-quality denim, so here's a question: how long can I expect a pair to last? Thinking APC NS or SFx5EP, for example.

Depends what you mean by "last"? I'm sure you could wear your SFx5EP every day for a year as long as you don't do rock climbing with them or something crazy and they'd be fine... that's some pretty tough denim.

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, before they get worn down, start looking beaten up, whatever. Its my understanding that the SFx5EP and APC NS are made of steel denim (figuratively), so I guess they would look good for a while (1.5-2 years)?

Chamorean

Reaction score
I'm just trying to find out what is the most popular brand of jeans that women in my age group will wear. I've been out of it for a while working construction so I want to be a little more feminine and stylish. Feel like a woman again. Help? Oh, age group is in the mid 20's to mid 30's. Thanks much.
blush.gif

HATORI HANZO

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chamorean
I'm just trying to find out what is the most popular brand of jeans that women in my age group will wear. I've been out of it for a while working construction so I want to be a little more feminine and stylish. Feel like a woman again. Help? Oh, age group is in the mid 20's to mid 30's. Thanks much.
blush.gif

What the most popular is and what I would recommend are two different things. Your body type will also affect my recommendation. I am going to assume you are in good shape and not rail thin so I would recommend Nudie slim kim and Good Society straight leg. What the masses were in my area are Joe's, Rock&Republic and 7Fam. Call Denim Bar and they should be able to help you out.

Philosoph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if Context's sizing guide for Academi jeans is accurate? The grey denim looks pretty cool but the rise seems a little low.

unrated

Reaction score
Whats the best way to prevent or correct knee bulge?

flyindarkness

Reaction score
so, I was trying to figure this out by searching the forum, but didn't get a satisfying answer.
What is the difference between raw vs. rinsed in terms of wearing, contrast fading and care?
Will a pair of rinsed hold on to the dye longer? will it bleed?

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
For every jean you get, washed, raw, onewash, whatever: Wear them like any other pants and when they get dirty (smelling bad or unsightly stains) wash them in cold water and hang dry.

The only exception is if your jeans are unsanforized and then you want to soak them before you wear them. Chances are unless you bought a pair of levis stf, or something from blueingreen or selfedge, they're sanforized and won't shrink much if any.

cinnamon

Reaction score
Does anyone have a recommendation for jeans with a slightly more relaxed, but still somewhat slim, fit?

I'm completely new to nice denim, and right now the only jeans I have are a pair of H&M SLIQs. While I like the fit a lot (size 30), they fit a little too skinny for daily wear.

Unfortunately, the area I'm in (Ann Arbor, MI) doesn't have any stores that sell nice brands of jeans, so my options for trying things on are limited.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JD_May
So my waist size at the widest point of my hips is just over 38 inches. What size APC NS should I be buying? 34?
EDIT: While I'm at it, how about nudie? True to size, I think?

JD, I sent you a PM...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads