• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Travelling Businessmen - how do you stow your suits? (thread about garment bags)

beny

Reaction score
I'm going to be on travel for much of next year, and am looking for a convenient way to transport 6-8 suits. Also, some of my destinations are in extremely temperate places.

I'm looking for two pieces of luggage: 1.) A large check-in piece that can carry the bulk of my necessities (6-8 suits, ~10 shirts, 3 pairs of shoes, ties, etc.) 2.) A smaller piece that I can carry day-to-day so that I can carry a suit to the office and change there (I don't want to sweat through my office attire during the morning commute). I would also carry my laptop and a few office essentials in this piece.

I'm considering this set:
http://www.tumi.com/travel_luggage/g...?modelid=50125
http://www.tumi.com/travel_luggage/g...?modelid=47813

and also this set:
http://www.samsoniteblacklabel.com/c...armentbag.html
http://www.samsoniteblacklabel.com/c...armentbag.html

Suggestions welcome.

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tumi tri fold is all you need

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I use a tumi tri fold, and a briggs riley computer bag. If I were buying somethign today, tumi has a great rolling tri fold in leather, a new design. briggs riley is a great deal, I think that they are actually tougher than tumi, and have great planning in terms of the layout.

I travel 30 weeks a year or so, some trips I can be in russia and singapore in the same trip. I never pack more than 3 suit. never.

farfisa23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How about one of those carry-on suiter suitcases? Or doe people check in a bag with the garment bag too?

LesterSnodgrass

Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
I never pack more than 3 suit. never.

+1.

If you plan on packing 6-8 suits and ten shirts you will need two large garment bags. I travel about 50% and my Samsonite garment bag is about ready to need replacement after 1 1/2 years of heavy travel.

Whatever you buy, if you will be checking it expect that it will be banged up something fierce.

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LesterSnodgrass
Whatever you buy, if you will be checking it expect that it will be banged up something fierce.

I once traveled with a guy who checked in a duffle bag. I later found out that he put a bottle of wine wrapped in clothing in that bag..

At baggage claims, he was greeted with a sopping glass shard-filled bag. I was.. speechless.

beny

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I will be in multiple locations/seasons in the same trip (Singapore summer, HK winter, London spring) and I work in a business-formal occupation (suit everyday), so I will need more than 3 suits. Altogether, I will probably be on the road for 8 months to a full year before returning home.

Also wanted to note: I probably won't be bringing 6-8 suits (probably around 5 or so) but I want to take the opportunity to get a few bespoke suits made while I am in HK and need a way to bring em home.

Will look into Briggs&Riley... will steer clear of Samsonite.

Twotone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Take two suits to get you by then buy the rest when you get there.

Mr. Pink

Reaction score
I second the recommendations for Briggs & Riley. At least as good as Tumi and far more reasonably priced.

jc138

Reaction score
Originally Posted by beny
Thanks for the replies. I will be in multiple locations/seasons in the same trip (Singapore summer, HK winter, London spring) and I work in a business-formal occupation (suit everyday), so I will need more than 3 suits. Altogether, I will probably be on the road for 8 months to a full year before returning home. Also wanted to note: I probably won't be bringing 6-8 suits (probably around 5 or so) but I want to take the opportunity to get a few bespoke suits made while I am in HK and need a way to bring em home. Will look into Briggs&Riley... will steer clear of Samsonite.
With that schedule I'd go with:
http://www.fedex.com/us/

Medvald

Reaction score
I have this large Tumi bag for suits that is pictured at the beginning of this thread. I think I can fit 8 to 10 suits in it. I do not use it much but it is great for conferences or occasions where you need a few outfits and have to check the bag anyway. If the occasion calls for suits during the day and another for dinner and perhaps one of the dinners is a formal one so a DJ is required then it is a great bag. I think it always best to travel light and not check your bags but with the security regulations and todays restrictions on hand bag allowance then sometimes you must check in your bag. And on some occasion you want to have nice things with you. You might be at a conference in Venice and you want to wear both formal business suits and your nice linen suits plus you need to go to that gala dinner, then it is a wonderful bag to have.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by beny
Thanks for the replies. I will be in multiple locations/seasons in the same trip (Singapore summer, HK winter, London spring) and I work in a business-formal occupation (suit everyday), so I will need more than 3 suits. Altogether, I will probably be on the road for 8 months to a full year before returning home.

Also wanted to note: I probably won't be bringing 6-8 suits (probably around 5 or so) but I want to take the opportunity to get a few bespoke suits made while I am in HK and need a way to bring em home.

Will look into Briggs&Riley... will steer clear of Samsonite.

you are leaving home and returning after 8 months?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics