• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iridium7777
the watch hasn't changed its look since the early 50's... i'm sure it's not going to get "ruined soon enough". the rolex bashing is really getting old.

not sensitive, the original statement was just plain stupid.

Facts speak for themselves. The original Explorer did not have a glossy dial or applied white gold numerals--the current one does. For decades, the dial was matte black and the numerals were simply printed on. I actually don't mind the applied numerals that much, but if Rolex makes changes in the near future consistent with what it's done to its other watches (thicker lugs, 'Rolex' engraved repeatedly along the perimeter of the dial, and polished center links on the bracelet), it will be a big turn off.

If you're going to slut for a brand, at least go through the trouble of knowing its history.

iridium7777

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Facts speak for themselves. The original Explorer did not have a glossy dial or applied white gold numerals--the current one does. For decades, the dial was matte black and the numerals were simply printed on. I actually don't mind the applied numerals that much, but if Rolex makes changes in the near future consistent with what it's done to its other watches (thicker lugs, 'Rolex' engraved repeatedly along the perimeter of the dial, and polished center links on the bracelet), it will be a big turn off.

If you're going to slut for a brand, at least go through the trouble of knowing its history.

nothing can be stagnant forever. these are gradual changes: painted dials to white gold applied, sel, tritium to luminova. it took 50+ years for these changes and the watch still almost looks identical since the inception. it's like someone screaming that the new porsche turbo cab is crap because of all the changes that were made since the 356 roadster.

one thing that you brought up and i agree with you and will dread is when they put the rolexrolex inside the bezel, which is bound to happen.

but otherwise what are you alluding to knowing the history of rolex? to me they're making the same things they were making since the 50's with some fluff thrown in for what they consider current trends.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
nothing can be stagnant forever. these are gradual changes: painted dials to white gold applied, sel, tritium to luminova. it took 50+ years for these changes and the watch still almost looks identical since the inception. it's like someone screaming that the new porsche turbo cab is crap because of all the changes that were made since the 356 roadster.

one thing that you brought up and i agree with you and will dread is when they put the rolexrolex inside the bezel, which is bound to happen.

but otherwise what are you alluding to knowing the history of rolex? to me they're making the same things they were making since the 50's with some fluff thrown in for what they consider current trends.

As I said, I actually like the current iteration just fine, even with the glossy dial and white gold numerals. My points were simply that: (1) the watch has changed from its original iteration, becoming less function-oriented and more luxury-oriented, and (2) it is the impending changes that I really think are intolerable.

It is worth noting that the changes to date have not all been for the sake of better technology (upgrading from tritium to luminova, for example). For example, the white gold numerals are a blatant attempt to make the watch more acceptable to buyers looking for a luxurious status symbol.

iridium7777

Reaction score
mafoofan;931758 It is worth noting that the changes to date have not all been for the sake of better technology (upgrading from tritium to luminova said:
i'll agree that some changes i hate, yet almost every base model stayed the same. tritium --> luminova change was not in their control. tritium is a radioactive substance and no one would put it in a mass produced product. panerai, in their smaller days were still using tritium on their 24's, 25's and maybe 88/89? watches claiming they were "professional instruments, marine chronometers" and thus were getting away with it. look at them now, no more tritium left anywhere.

as to that white gold how many buyers do you think consciously look at a rolex and even bother to ask or know, or care for that matter, that the hands and the indices are made of white gold? maybe luminova corrodes steel so it needs to be contained in gold? who knows.

rolex is not a god-sent, and that's not what i'm saying. but it almost doesn't matter because someone bashes them for something. you wanna see some ugly watches? look at zenith. i'd like some of their crack.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
In my opinion, the prettiest Rolex in the current line-up. I'm sure they'll ruin it soon enough.

There's an Airking that also looks nice.

Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
Thanks LK. Very nice Omega.

My Omega collection has tended to focus on gold automatics. However, if I do buy another it's going to be a hand wind. I'd like to find a nice 30T2 chronometer in good original condition.

I like the early Constellations, especially the Constellation De Luxes. Mine is a chronometer grade cal.265, signified by the red star on the dial.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
Thanks - here's one available at a decent price:

http://www.europeanwatch.com/10260.htm

Thanks, Eustace. That is a good price. Surprisingly, I was at my local AD and now they're back to offering 10% max discount, when the most they can give a year ago was 5%. In lieu of that offering last year, I waited it out and just bought a Pam005. I'm now, like SoCal, setting my sights on a GO... or a Portuguese.

Jerome

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
+1 - just beautiful. What is the case size?
I think its 35mm...neat pam there, too...
smile.gif

Originally Posted by gdl203
Jerome - that's a great looking 1958 automatic Longines that you have here!
Thanks your collection is great there, Im not that much of a watch guy but this thread really got me interested! (seem to dig esp. the Dornblüth and Lange, Glahütte designs [also all "vintage"] and less the too "Porsche" like Rolexes on eg p.33), I also like the one with your "special modification" because its made in a tasteful and discreet way, instead of sticking some diamonds on it and be king of St. Tropez or something lol...yeah Tuscanys cool..the Panerai brand seems to be very en vogue these days- sometimes its more difficult to "relentlessly" stay true to ones own aesthetic judgment and taste when a thing is overly popular than if its not known at all.
wink.gif
...I must say I have also immensly enjoyed the pics made by mustapha of his watches (which were great) and his shirts that would be a bit too flashy and flowery for myself but that I would not hesitate to hang on my wall for their great quality and eccentricity and I mean that in the best sense: true works of art there!...nice "lil" thread this..

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
^that was a mouthful.

EvEr37

Reaction score
Here's a few of mine,

GMT II (black/red), GMT ceramic bezel stainless and 2 tone, PAM 247, PAM 237,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics