• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
^I love to see things from the real A&F.

Not clothes related, but I came across an oddity today. I picked up a Modern Library edition of Gore Vidal's Burr, not particularly well cared for, no dj. On the blank page before the half title was an unobtrusive signature. A quick Google search confirms, with two separate images, that it is, indeed, Vidal's signature. The mind boggles as to what it was doing there. I'll have to track down a dj to marry to it. Pretty decent for $1.98.

blahblahblah

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hopkins_student
This is tremendous news. Let me ask you, can this be performed by a "tailor" at the dry cleaners? Or should I take this to the most reputable tailor I can find? My tailor is very unwilling to do work on shirts (i.e. remove pockets) and I've asked about shirt lengthening, and he refuses.

edit: inserted quotes around "tailor" at the dry cleaners.

How about shortening - do you think it is possible to shorten the sleeves of a dress shirt without ruining it?

sdash

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
^ That's one badass jacket. Abercrombie & Fitch of yore made nice things; too bad their sizing is quite generous.

Yeah, I was surprised at how generous the fit is for something from that era. I know it was designed as much for practicality as for style,* but even taking that into account it's substantially roomier than I'd expect (and, unfortunately, than I'd like) it to be.

Here's a thought -- maybe the old A&F was partially responsible for the almost-pneumatic inflation of men's clothing style over the past 50 years?

*I was tempted to say more for practicality, but from what I understand they were high-end enough that raw practicality would not have been your only concern if you were shopping there...

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of vintage A&F, I have had this safari/field jacket sitting in my closet for a few months waiting until the weather gets warmer. I assume it's late 60s or early 70s from the label. The thing is really well-made and the back has lots of functional details like hidden zipped vents that double as a large internal pocket, and action shoulders.

AF1.jpg

AF2.jpg

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
Also saw a devistatingly ugly Versace tie probably from the 90s. I would have bought it to flip but I don't know what things like that go for.

Those usually do well on Ebay, the really outlandish baroque-print silk shirts and ties from his early collections (the ones he designed, before he died) are highly collectible and very hideous.

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VMan
Those usually do well on Ebay, the really outlandish baroque-print silk shirts and ties from his early collections (the ones he designed, before he died) are highly collectible and very hideous.

Yeah, that's the one. I could get it for $5 today or hope it's still around till next wendsday when I could get it for 2.50. Do you think I should get it? What do they go for?

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
Yeah, that's the one. I could get it for $5 today or hope it's still around till next wendsday when I could get it for 2.50. Do you think I should get it? What do they go for?
I really don't know much about what patterns do well, I've only sold a few. Black label 'Couture' is newer, white label is the older stuff. Here are a few from other ebay sellers that did well: http://cgi.ebay.com/ISW-Gianni-VERSA...QQcmdZViewItem http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Gianni-V...QQcmdZViewItem

A Canuker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Canuker
Wow those prices are well above what I would have thought they should have reached. Guess I'm going to be keeping my eyes open more so.
There is a positive correlation between the ugliness of a Versace item and the price it will fetch on Ebay, whereas virtually any other brand will have the exact opposite relationship, Missoni and Coogi excluded.

A Canuker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've bought the odd one or two horrid ones while thrifting, I shoud take a phote and send it to you for that ebay service you offer.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stopped by the local value villiage on the way home from my first day on the new job.

-NWOT RLPL Brown velvet peak-lapel blazer. 40R (dammit, I'm more of a 42-44 now)

Not a thrift find, but my 30 gig iPod and B&O A8 headphones came today that I got off the B&S forum from ghulkhan

AnGeLiCbOrIs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today was a good day for me @ C21.

2x Varvatos dress shirts NWT - $10 ea

2x YSL dress shirts NWOT - $7 ea

Isaia Napoli dress shirt NWOT - $20

- $1400 of shirts for less than $60 -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads