• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why do my tendons hurt so badly / Good advice for first timer?

WorkingTitle

Reaction score
I recently made the conscious effort to start working on building muscle. I don't belong to a gym so I thought that the first thing I should do is to start doing exercises at home.

I am starting with 5lb weights (We all have to start somewhere) and doing curls. However, after i was done, the next day my tendons in my arms hurt much more than my biceps. When i say tendons I mean the part of your arm where doctors usually draw blood from. For some reason it hurts like a mother, rather than my biceps. What's up with that?

As far as I go. I weigh 140 lbs right now and am 5"11. I wear a 29 in jeans usually so I can say im on the thin end of the spectrum. My goal for gaining muscle is to just have a little bit of definition. I have no urge whatsoever to look like a UFC fighter, I just want to be able to take my shirt off and have a little something to be proud of.

So can you guys give me any advice on how to get started, what exercises to do that I can do easily at home, what to eat, how long before i can start seeing results, etc. Any advice what so ever would be much appreciated. Thanks a billion guys.

Viktri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
biceps_heads.jpg
Is this what you mean?

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Were you hyperextending your arms?

beasty

Reaction score
Originally Posted by WorkingTitle
I recently made the conscious effort to start working on building muscle. I don't belong to a gym so I thought that the first thing I should do is to start doing exercises at home.

I am starting with 5lb weights (We all have to start somewhere) and doing curls. However, after i was done, the next day my tendons in my arms hurt much more than my biceps. When i say tendons I mean the part of your arm where doctors usually draw blood from. For some reason it hurts like a mother, rather than my biceps. What's up with that?

As far as I go. I weigh 140 lbs right now and am 5"11. I wear a 29 in jeans usually so I can say im on the thin end of the spectrum. My goal for gaining muscle is to just have a little bit of definition. I have no urge whatsoever to look like a UFC fighter, I just want to be able to take my shirt off and have a little something to be proud of.

So can you guys give me any advice on how to get started, what exercises to do that I can do easily at home, what to eat, how long before i can start seeing results, etc. Any advice what so ever would be much appreciated. Thanks a billion guys.

Dude,

You mean tendon or forearm? Whatever it is, you are doing it wrong.

If its tendon, you did the exercise wrong and you are rocking your arm below your elbow too much. You must maintain strict form.

I see you have no urge to look like a UFC fighter. But you should set your goals high. May I suggest you aspire to have a body like Jay Cutler, Ronnie Coleman or Dorian Yates. All worthy bodybuilders for a budding bodybuilder such as yourself.

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you stretching your muscles after the exercise ?

I started playing tennis after a long time of not doing it.

I had joints and tendons pain the day after the sport.

I was attributing it to my aging body, but when I saw my doctor about other subject I told him about it.

He sent me to a medical physiotherapist.

He made me several tests and told me.

"The only problem you have is that you are doing a lot of sport and that is good. But as you are not stretching your muscles after the effort, they stay tense, and so the tense muscles pull on the tendons and the tendons pull on the joints and then you have the pain".

I had my muscles too contracted and tense, so he teached me many stretching exercises for the muscle groups I used when playing tennis.

It worked like a charm.... no more tendons and joints pain.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

As far as I go. I weigh 140 lbs right now anhttp://www.amazon.com/New-Rules-Lift.../dp/1583332383d am 5"11. I wear a 29 in jeans usually so I can say im on the thin end of the spectrum. My goal for gaining muscle is to just have a little bit of definition. I have no urge whatsoever to look like a UFC fighter, I just want to be able to take my shirt off and have a little something to be proud of.

I can't imagine 5 lb DBs hurting anything unless you're dropping them on your head.

I usually recommend Schuler and Cosgrove's NROL for beginners. Good advice, exercise selection and programs. Do them as written and you will see results. (And if you're not seeing results in 4 weeks, you're doing something wrong.) However, you will need a gym or equipment.

At 5'11" and 140 you're pretty small. But here's the good part - you can put on 25 lbs of muscle over your entire body and still stay the same size. More or less. Your clothes will still fit but you will fill them out a little better and, dare I say, look better naked.

Good luck.

lefty

doug funnie

Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about it. If they were 5lb weights you probably did a ton of reps and just over stressed the tendons because they never get worked in that manner. Wait until you're not sore then get into a gym. You will gain nothing using 5 lb weights.

You say your goal is to gain definition, which means you need to build muscle. There is no such thing as toning, the amount of tone you have is simply a function of the amount of muscle and fat you have. Since it sounds like you're pretty low on bodyfat already you should be worried 100% about packing on muscle.

Seriously, I cannot overstate this, doing curls with 5 lbs is a waste of your time. You will gain no muscle and thus not add any tone, and you won't even get noticeably stronger. Also if all you're worried about is looking better you really don't need to be doing biceps anyway. Chest, shoulders, triceps are what's going to make you look better.

WorkingTitle

Reaction score
Yeah the 5 lb dumbells were very light, so i just kept curling for days and days and days. But I guess I was hyperextending my arm and had bad form so i hurt my "Biceps Tendon at Elbow"

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah the 5 lb dumbells were very light, so i just kept curling for days and days and days. But I guess I was hyperextending my arm and had bad form so i hurt my "Biceps Tendon at Elbow"

If you can curl for days and days, your probably wasting your time. You'd have better results and a better use of your time doing pushups and other bodyweight exercises.

beasty

Reaction score

Dude,

You grow not when you are doing your weights.
You grow when you are resting.
You are not supposed to do the same exercise everyday when you obviously have not recovered!

BYucko

Reaction score
Very solid advice in this thread; the OP could learn a lot.

I think that he/she would be better off learning the proper way to work out with sets and reps, as well as very basic things on diet before going on a workout scheme.

SJTrance

Reaction score
As a physiotherapist/physical therapist and a once personal trainer, it's evident to me that you have a bit of tendonitis. I've struggled with the same problems myself when I first started to lift weights. You had probably never worked out much in your life before. That being said, most likely, if you just rest for about 5 days after the onset of the pain, it should be gone. If it last more than 7 days, then you should see a doctor or a PT.

There are a lot of very nice advice in this thread. Whatever the case, you are not going to get anywhere doing biceps exercises alone. What you want to concentrate on is "compound exercises." Those are exercises that work out several different body groups at the same time. You don't have access to a gym or a solid set of dumbells now, so lets think about what floor exercises you can do. A funny thing about the body is that if you work large groups of muscles, you will distribute muscle to various parts of the body. Core is important.

Push ups (with a very straight back to bring in your abs)

Dips (like against a counter or bench)

Abdominal Crunches (self explanatory)

No weight squats (self explanatory)

Back extensions (just lie face down and lift your upper body off floor)

Start with a few sets like 2 sets of 10 or so to begin with 3 times per week. Remember, this is just to get your body used to the load on your body. When you're done with the set, you shouldn't feel insane burn initially. It's already proven that your body is prone to tendonitis and inflammation.

When it's time to get serious, though...you're going to have to either get some dumbells or go to a gym. Go to www.bodybuilding.com and start to read the articles. Hint: stay away from the misc section...lol.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads