• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Sartorial Wisdom

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Thanks dude you are a vital asset to the forum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Justin Wright
(Tip: Because Ralph Lauren suits are made by a suitmaker, Corneliani; why not buy straight from the source?).
I like Corneliani, but their stuff bears little in common with the stuff they make for Ralph, which I like as well. Also, this neglects to consider the variety of Ralph's lines -- Corneliani makes a nice suit, but is it really competition for Ralph's best? Yours is a nice suggestion, but there are a lot of variables at play here, including styling, price and availability.
3. Construction Counts. Generally speaking, be sure and look under the hood of whatever you buy. A Bentley is expensive because some chap put the thing together by hand, whereas some robot assembled the Kia down the road. The same goes for an Oxxford vs. Joseph A. Bank.
I think this is the important thing. Know what you're buying, and decide whether it's worth the price, regardless of the name on the label. If it's from Ralph, fine, but make sure you understand what you're getting for your money. H&M is perfectly acceptable at H&M prices, but not at, say, Prada's.
4. "Super" Sucks. A ****** fabric woven into Super 180s is still a ****** fabric. I'd rather wear a simple Holland & Sherry worsted than some no-name Super 180s any day of the week.
I think this is too much of a blanket statement. It's like saying "cashmere sucks" because cheap mall-shop sweaters pill. I'm no great fan of luxury cloths in general, be it in suitings or shirtings, but there's good and bad in everything.
5. Sales. Do not buy a garment on sale just because it's on sale. I've learned the following from experience: I would rather have one Hickey-Freeman in my closet for every five $300 pieces-o-crap I bought just because they were cheap. Sometimes you have to learn this one by experience, as it is difficult to resist an apparent "deal"; but, remember, the $300 piece-o-crap may look marvelous hanging in your closet, but you'll be quickly reminded of Paragraphs 1-4 above after a few wears. Trust me.
This is good advice. But I tend to have the opposite problem -- there are so many bargains out there that I rarely find myself tempted by the dregs of a sale. Instead, I am more likely to regret the expensive item that seemed so perfect -- just the thing! -- only to discover once it was too late that it wasn't so perfect after all. Most recently, I paid a significant premium for a sportcoat that was exactly the pattern I had been looking for. Only after I wore it once or twice, I concluded I didn't much care for the cut or fit. Ah well.

Wicky

Reaction score
****, now I have to return my Attolini Super 160 because it´sucks´. I think I will ask them to make the same suit in a old fashioned 80 then. No drape whatsoever but at least the fabric will be tough enough to ensure I can park it in the corner standing up!

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Everytime someone says "sartorial", God kills a kitten.

Like, for real.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked

And here I thought that was using fora with a straight face.

lefty

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Like, for real.

Is that God or the Marines?
devil.gif

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Justin Wright
A recurring theme on this board is solicitation for advice on this, that, or the other. For what it's worth, the following are my general points of sartorial advice.

1. Fit First. The ultimate goal of dressing well is to look nice, right? Well, you'll look a helluva lot nicer in a $750 Hart Schaffner Marx suit that properly fits than in a $3,000 Oxxford two sizes too big. Along this line, try to not become too caught up with labels and construction without first paying due consideration to fit. This is not to say that the suitmaker does not count; indeed, I would submit it as my number two item ...

2. Suitmaker Second. Buy your suit from a suitmaker, not from a designer. Hickey-Freeman is a suitmaker; Southwick is a suitmaker; Oxxford is a suitmaker; Zegna is a suitmaker (or arguably once was). Tommy Hilfiger is not a suitmaker; neither is Banana Republic; and, for that matter, neither is Ralph Lauren. They're all designers. (Tip: Because Ralph Lauren suits are made by a suitmaker, Corneliani; why not buy straight from the source?). Along this line, if you are purchasing a "X", then by your "X" from a "X" maker. Brooks Brothers is not a watchmaker; would you buy a suit from Patek Phillipe? Similarly, buy shirts from a shirtmaker; buy shoes from a shoemaker.

3. Construction Counts. Generally speaking, be sure and look under the hood of whatever you buy. A Bentley is expensive because some chap put the thing together by hand, whereas some robot assembled the Kia down the road. The same goes for an Oxxford vs. Joseph A. Bank.

4. "Super" Sucks. A ****** fabric woven into Super 180s is still a ****** fabric. I'd rather wear a simple Holland & Sherry worsted than some no-name Super 180s any day of the week.

5. Sales. Do not buy a garment on sale just because it's on sale. I've learned the following from experience: I would rather have one Hickey-Freeman in my closet for every five $300 pieces-o-crap I bought just because they were cheap. Sometimes you have to learn this one by experience, as it is difficult to resist an apparent "deal"; but, remember, the $300 piece-o-crap may look great hanging in your closet, but you'll be quickly reminded of Paragraphs 1-4 above after a few wears. Trust me.

The rest is up to you.

Dammit, now I have to burn my wardrobe and start over.

celery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Like, for real.

Sartorial.

Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.Sartorial.

Damn screw it . . . Sartorial *infinity+1 (just in case).

I hate cats.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Why'd you recant?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads