• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Whats the deal with Valextra?

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've seen their leather goods, which seem quite nice, although quite unsuspecting, but I fail to comprehend why they command such a high price tag. Is there more to them than meets the eye or is it just the marketing machine in overdrive?

Montesquieu

Reaction score
I can't argue that their wallets are worth the money when alternatives perform the same function for 1/100 the price. But when I shopped for a new wallet a year ago and investigated many suggestions from this forum, I ended picking Valextra simply because I liked the appearance and thinness best. Price became a non-issue once I found what I wanted.

A year later, the wallet continues to look like new and get compliments from others. Their products are distinctive, and I'm happy in hindsight with the value received.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Realize that Valextra didn't used to be priced like this; they're trying to market it as an Italian alternative to Hermes.

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really don't like this name for a luxury goods company...it sounds like an antidepressant.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Jackie O' liked it apparently.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
In my experience and with the goods I've owned/seen... Valextra is very, very high quality; not perhaps at the Hermes level, but certainly beyond the other major leather goods makers (LV, Gucci, etc.). I think, certainly, they add a premium to give it perceived clout, but nevertheless they do put out a very good product. For someone looking for an item of superlative quality that is very unassuming and won't draw attention to itself, I can't think of a better brand to do it.

Like many other luxury brands (LV, Loewe, Borbonese, Bottega Veneta, etc.) valextra was a little out date and dusty in the 80's, but still had a good name, when somebody bought it and revived it. So, as somebody else mentioned, older Valextra probably wasn't as expensive, but it also wasn't nearly as interesting.

Finally, I agree with Fade to Black... I'm not crazy about the name, either. It's an old company, so you can't really blame them for keeping the name, but I agree it sounds pharmaceutical and not-very-luxurious.

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised to hear it's an old company...i have no idea about the history of this brand, so if i come across as disrespectful forgive me but it sounds like a 21st century trendy/gimmicky name brand started by some random LA stylist...

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fade to Black
I really don't like this name for a luxury goods company...it sounds like an antidepressant.

You don't feel happy when you buy luxury goods??
bounce2.gif

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm surprised to hear it's an old company...i have no idea about the history of this brand, so if i come across as disrespectful forgive me but it sounds like a 21st century trendy/gimmicky name brand started by some random LA stylist...
I can't remember the exact date, but I think I remember reading once it was started back in the 30's. In any case, much older than the name might sound. Probably back then, it sounded very ultra-modern. I doubt they had any idea as a society we'd be as doped up as we are...

william

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Kinda like Incotex...

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by william
Kinda like Incotex...

Both are better than "Lardini" or, as some SF members have affectionately termed it, "Lardassi."

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Incotex ain't that bad...i could see that name working for a company that specializes in tech-ish outerwear, like the north face or patagonia.

just don't tell me it's a brand that does fully canvassed 3 piece suits and cordovan wingtips.

hermes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
valextra started in milan in 1937
giovanni fontana was the founder

i don't know where the name comes from though
it's current revival comes from the hands of their new ceo, massimo suppancig, who previously was a ceo for hugo boss and escada brands, and just bought the brand in 2003ish

apparently he has been able to lure back out of retirement the artisans who retired in the 70s when fontana retired

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 80 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 35 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads