• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oxxford vs Borrelli

senator1214

Reaction score
The shirts made by both of these companies are hand finished and are similarly priced, But the question is; In your opinion who makes the better shirt?
eg: fabric choices, fit, and shirt construction

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
You do realize that asking a disparate group of people which is "best" in terms of "fit" is utterly senseless?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The idea of Oxxford shirts fills me with the dread of ill-fitting old man style.

JamesT

Reaction score
Stylistically, I prefer Borrelli as Oxxford has always seemed rather bland to me. From what I have seen, both have a bit of an overt "look at all my handwork!" style to them which can be good or bad, depending on the result and if it is something you prefer.

Overall, for casual clothing (sportcoats, trousers, sweaters etc.) I much prefer Borrelli.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Borrelli barrel cuff shirts are difficult to button.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who cares about fit and shirt fabric and all that nonsense?

Just picture all those pairs of human hands involved in the construction of these shirts.
bounce2.gif

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
The idea of Oxxford shirts fills me with the dread of ill-fitting old man style.

+1. I've never been impressed with Oxxford shirtings.

Green Lantern

Reaction score
I simply like the best of Italian more than I like the best of American. Although I like the best of the English the best. Essentially, I appreciate the esthetics of the Borrelli shirt as compared to the Oxxford shirt. Both are works of art.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Hand work on shirts is overrated -- a forum fetish.

maclovin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
+1. I've never been impressed with Oxxford shirtings.
Sir,

Don't they all use the same shirtings?

Yrs.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by senator1214
The shirts made by both of these companies are hand finished and are similarly priced, But the question is; In your opinion who makes the better shirt?
eg: fabric choices, fit, and shirt construction

I have several Oxxford-branded shirts, but they are from five plus years ago. They are, indeed, handfinished, but they are all made in Italy, use the same flat, beige MOP buttons as Kiton and are put together and tagged exactly like a Kiton would be. I have never come across a satisfactory explanation for this...but I presume there is, or was, some relationship. The Oxxford shirts are cut fuller than the Kitons I have...about the same as Borrelli's heading for department stores in the US. Not trim; but not Mercer.

Does Oxxford have a non-Italian maker of their hand-finished shirts now?

There might be differences among Borrelli, Kiton, top-line Barba, whoever makes (or made) for Oxxford, top-line Finamore, etc. in construction, but I see no differences that would make me choose one over the other in this group aside from sample to sample differences. They all seem, for example, to put in the arms the same way: one machine-stitched row around the arm until the shoulder, and then the top of the shoulder set in by hand and then the second seam lapped by hand. Contrast this with the Matuozzo closeups on mafoofan's blog that should both seams done by hand, and with a high stitch per inch count.

It has been established, I think, that Borrelli is not shy about describing how their manufacturing process can include outworkers, and I attribute (without broad evidence) the variabilty in construction outcome for Borrelli shirts to this system. Does that make Borrelli different than the maker Oxxford uses? I have no idea, because I do not know who makes Oxxford's shirts.

Of this group, Kiton most reliably uses finer fabrics across their range, and their decorative handsewing seems most consistently neat. Kiton is also consistently the highest in price, however, and I am surprised that Oxxford is priced at the Kiton level and not at the Borrelli level. Perhaps Oxxford's market for their shirts is same-store sales to customers who do not have the time to futz with clothes or post on SF?

I do not mind paying a lot for stuff that I like, but I would not personally pay full retail anymore for any of the hand-finished Neapolitan-esque brands aimed at the global RTW market. When discounted, however, their shortcomings and propensity to benefit from retailoring, if one is normal BMI, are easier to forgive (I suppose this is actually true of most any RTW).

Does anyone know who makes Oxxford's current line of hand-finished shirts, assuming that Oxxford still markets one?

As for fit, that would depend on the person. I prefer shirts that are often called "slim," but I am among the one out of four Americans who are not overweight. If one is stockier, a bigger body fit makes sense.

- B

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt

Matuozzo Man
smile.gif

I think that some Oxxford shirts are made by Kiton, so while they may not be Anna M. quality, they aren't that bad.

To the OP, there is really a wealth on information on this site. The search function is your friend.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads