• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Folded Up Shirt Appreciation

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Nice pics. What is your opinion of Frank Rostron?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
They were good shirts. I ordered a few many years ago. Most are still wearable.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
They were good shirts. I ordered a few many years ago. Most are still wearable.

Thanks. I believe he does a lot for Corneliani MTM these days.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Lightish medium blue.

Mustapha

Reaction score
going to need collar replacement. Interesting that the cuffs on some of Manton's shirts have not been replaced with white when the collar was.

My shirtmaker also mentioned that it didn't have to be white. Since some of my shirts are tattersalls and colored solids this should be an interesting picture to post should it come to pass ...
smile.gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mustapha
Interesting that the cuffs on some of Manton's shirts have not been replaced with white when the collar was.

The blue one got a new collar and cuffs, because the originals (all self) were shot. The pink one got new collar, but the cuffs were OK, and remain the originals. The blue stripe is a new shirt, ordered with a white collar, only the second shirt I have ever had made that way (and it will probably be the last).

Mustapha

Reaction score
and cuffs. Can I / Should I, ... with a blazer ... &etc.

When my shirts' time comes to do this 'mod', I think I'm going to wear them right out of the dryer with jeans and chelsea boots and pretend I've come home from work and couldn't have been bothered to change. Yeah, that's the ticket.
smile.gif

I remember a tall fit gray haired man of about 70 in my nabe who walked a dog and wore obviously bespoke shirts with colored bodies and white collars in a getup like this. Smoked a cigar. Everyone was impressed in a good way.
worship.gif

WestIndianArchie

Reaction score
Best post i've seen on SF.

Great job guys.

*ponders paying off student loans or buying shirts*

Infrasonic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
Nice pics. What is your opinion of Frank Rostron?

He rides around Manchester in a Jag with the number plate SH1RTS...
worship.gif

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
rolleyes.gif

Are you speaking from first-hand experience or are you simply judging a few crappy internet pictures?

I own probably 80-100 shirts from most makers discussed in this forum and my Jantzen shirts (when they actually show up) are definitely in the top quartile for quality and fit and easily rank #1 for value. I paid 5 times more for shirts and I feel like a fool for that.

Bolded for truth. Quality customer service has value, not 10x the value to be sure but it counts for something. I have no doubt there are many satisfied Jantzen customers, I personally wouldn't be one of them given their reputation for misplacing orders, sub par fabrics, etc. That is my opinion not a universal truth.

Panzeraxe II

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whnay.
Bolded for truth. Quality customer service has value, not 10x the value to be sure but it counts for something. I have no doubt there are many satisfied Jantzen customers, I personally wouldn't be one of them given their reputation for misplacing orders, sub par fabrics, etc. That is my opinion not a universal truth.

A much better way of putting it compared to your initial comment on Jantzen.

Master Shake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mustapha
going to need collar replacement. Interesting that the cuffs on some of Manton's shirts have not been replaced with white when the collar was.

My shirtmaker also mentioned that it didn't have to be white. Since some of my shirts are tattersalls and colored solids this should be an interesting picture to post should it come to pass ...
smile.gif

I was once told that it is historically more accurate to have only the collar in contrasting white because it is a reference to detachable collars, and the cuffs on those shirts were in the same fabric as the body, not white. Still, while I'm not really into contrast collar shirts anymore, I doubt I would ever go for the self-cuffs but contrast collar look.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Panzeraxe II
A much better way of putting it compared to your initial comment on Jantzen.

Well whatever. For Christ sake this is an online forum not a gentlemen's club. I shouldn't need have a disclaimer that what I write is my opinion on every post.

I think Jantzen is ****, I wouldn't spend money on it, I would think people that do are silly for doing so but I'm sure others would feel the same way about spending on what I do for a demi-measure shirt. Oh well...doesn't affect my spending habits.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads