• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LA nightlife

DaveDr89

Reaction score
... will be in LA w/ the girlfriend Thurs - Sun ... any suggestions of cool bars to check out? not into the club scene, thinking more along the lines of lounge/bar that might have decent music? cool place for latin music also? anyone been to The Derby?

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Eh, it's Marty and Elaine covering random hits.

Not sure what you mean by "decent music." 4100 is a pretty decent lounge with an awesome jukebox (old AFI, Massive Attack, random indie favorites, random 60s/70s, etc.). It was a fav with Kiefer Sutherland before the whole DUI thing.

It'd really just help to know your bar scene and go from there.

DaveDr89

Reaction score
RE my bar scene, a bit on the upscale side as opposed to the dive bar, live music is always a plus ...

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
depends on what you consider "decent music"

the Burgundy Room on Cahuenga/Hollywood always has good music, a la punk, powerpop, 80s. and across the street is the Beauty Bar which can play some decent tunes

If you want The Derby from Swingers, you'd need to go on Sunday nite. It's completely changed since owner Tammi died and it changed ownership. M-Sat is "
alt/indie rock" nites, and only sunday is swing/roots/rockabilly

The Dresden is cool, and right nearby is Goodluck Charlies which is also really nice.

If you're around sunday nite, The Cicada Room in downtown is a really upscale lounge that has a live swing band/orchestra. No cover charge on sundays, and it has a dress code of jacket/tie for men, and evening gown/nice dress for women. It's very art deco and it's like stepping back in time to the 30s

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart

If you're around sunday nite, The Cicada Room in downtown is a really upscale lounge that has a live swing band/orchestra. No cover charge on sundays, and it has a dress code of jacket/tie for men, and evening gown/nice dress for women. It's very art deco and it's like stepping back in time to the 30s

What about The Edison? I've never been to it since it's in downtown LA, and I tend to stay in places like Santa Monica or Irvine when I'm in the area.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
**** the Edison!
Aww...did someone wait outside in the cold? Santa Monica has a few decent places. I'm not big on live music bars unless I'm there specifically to see the band so my suggestions would be for lounges.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
since you asked for latin, the place for salsa music used to be the century club in century city or the mayan downtown. i don't know if that's still the case, but those two are worth looking into.

DaveDr89

Reaction score
okay thanks ... we'll actually be staying in santa monica ... any suggestions for cool lounges in santa monica, e.g., on the promenade or further down on main street.

are there any bars/lounges of note in Melrose nowadays? Hollywood? Westwood? For the three nights perpahs we'll hit a different area each night.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DaveDr89
okay thanks ... we'll actually be staying in santa monica ... any suggestions for cool lounges in santa monica, e.g., on the promenade or further down on main street.

are there any bars/lounges of note in Melrose nowadays? Hollywood? Westwood? For the three nights perpahs we'll hit a different area each night.

my favorite bar in santa monica is called circle bar. it's on main street. it has dark red lighting and a good vibe overall, but it can be a packed meat-market on weekends, and the music is hit or miss.

mbc

Reaction score
In Santa Monica I'd spend one night doing the Main St bar crawl. I don't find many of those places especially "cool" but in total it's a cool street to spend a night on. Library Alehouse has a great beer selection if that's your thing.

If you want live music I'd go to the other side of town and hit up Spaceland, The Echo, etc if you like cooler-than-you indie rock. Or you could go to the Mid-Wilshire area and try Molly Malone's, which usually has some pretty interesting bands (last time I was there I saw a bluegrass band made up mostly of D-list and below actors - weird but good). Apart from latin I'm not sure what kind of live music you're looking for though.

Downtown LA, The Edison is pretty cool (despite the attitude - don't show up in sneakers). If you've never been, The Standard's downtown rooftop bar has a great view at sunset and into the early evening. And if you're a whisky fan, Seven Grand is a must - they have a great single malt list. I believe Bordello over in Little Tokyo has live music on occasion but I'm not sure what kind it is.

mbc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DaveDr89
are there any bars/lounges of note in Melrose nowadays?
Melrose has the Snake Pit if you're into dives, and the Village Idiot if you're into more of the brew pub thing. Up Fairfax from Melrose is Lola's which is a martini bar that has a pretty good selection of specialty martinis... I wouldn't really consider it a destination, though, unless you are planning to go pick up ******** on Santa Monica Blvd afterwards.
Hollywood?
There are tons of very expensive places in Hollywood. But you aren't Lindsay Lohan so you're not getting in (you might have a shot if your girlfriend is an absolute stunner AND she brings a hot friend). If you really want to go out in Hollywood I'd stick to the bars on Cahuenga - Velvet Margarita, Beauty Bar, etc.
Westwood?
There is no decent place to go out in Westwood. Westwood only has one "bar" (Westwood Brew Co) and that is usually full to the hilt with obnoxious UCLA frat types.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads