• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Interesting RL Pants

djs488

Reaction score
So I was browsing the RL site and came across a number of interesting looking pants. It seems people are constantly looking for slim-fit chinos; has anyone tried these offerings?

pPOLO2-4373054_standard_v330.jpg

Thompson Ultimate Fit Slim Chino

pPOLO2-4224216_standard_v330.jpg

Custom-Fit Twill Chino

While I was looking I also found two pairs of interesting jeans. I probably wouldn't wear either of them, but I don't think I've seen anything like them.

pPOLO2-4155804_alternate4_v330.jpg

Five-Pocket Skinny Jean (Black Label)

pPOLO2-3886476_alternate4_v330.jpg

Slim-Fit Pinstripe Jean

I'm not trying to advertise for RL or anything, but I thought the above chinos might be useful, and I can imagine there's at least one person on here that would like the black label jeans. The pinstripes, not so much.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The slim-fit chinos look decent.

I cannot say I am a big fan of the jeans though.

hamm23

Reaction score
I agree, i wouldnt touch either of those jeans. I do really like the first chinos though

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really like the fit of the Thompson Ultimate Fit Slim Chino. I will have to check them out next time I go to the RL store. They also have some nice other colors available such as navy and white.
Anyone have the measurements for these?

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
slim chinos look nice, cheaper than incotex (which i'm currently debating whether or not to buy, in a similar khaki color).

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As with most things on RL website, those pants will most likely NOT fit nearly as slim in real life. The combination of pinning and 40L models do wonders for their product pictures.

gqcao

Reaction score
they look nice!

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
As with most things on RL website, those pants will most likely NOT fit nearly as slim in real life. The combination of pinning and 40L models do wonders for their product pictures.

Agreed. I'm sometimes amazed at how psychotically large RL clothing can be - despite the fact that every ad campaign shows it like a second skin. It's great news if you want to put on 50lb without changing your wardrobe.

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't really find these pants that interesting. The chinos are alright but you'll have to get them tailored for them to be a slim fit. The same goes for J. Crew. Their slim stuff (aside from their shirts) is rarely as slim as I desire. If I pick up a pair of pants from them (I'm considering one) then they'll have to be slimmed further.

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chrono, I'll probably sound like a broken record but my first RRL pickup was some military officers chinos. They are $165.00 I think and the detailing on them is great. Button fly with genuine melamine buttons and flap pockets on the back. The front pockets are straight down as opposed to five pockets and they are fairly slim. They'd be perfect if tailored but they are slim enough as long as they stay on my hips. They haven't gotten a wash in 1 month of steady wear. It would be 2 months but my first pair got a hole so I returned them and both pairs had some slight fades within a month. The twill is heavy. Overall, they are pretty nice. Since I have to wear chinos to the office four days a week it's definitely going to be these.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
I'd be interested if the rise wasn't 13-14". If the rise was reasonable, i could get the rest tailored. Still haven't found me some chinos.

You can call up the Uniqlo store in NYC when they have the Vintage Chinos in stock and have them ship to you. They will actually do that. Of course, pickup service is always an option.

I haven't handled the Uniqlo Vintage Chinos in person but FWIW, people have said the J. Crew Essential Slim Fit chinos are slimmer(same fit on the top block but the legs are tapered instead of straight like Uniqlos).

JOA

Reaction score
Originally Posted by xchen
Chrono, I'll probably sound like a broken record but my first RRL pickup was some military officers chinos. They are $165.00 I think and the detailing on them is great. Button fly with genuine melamine buttons and flap pockets on the back. The front pockets are straight down as opposed to five pockets and they are fairly slim. They'd be perfect if tailored but they are slim enough as long as they stay on my hips. They haven't gotten a wash in 1 month of steady wear. It would be 2 months but my first pair got a hole so I returned them and both pairs had some slight fades within a month. The twill is heavy. Overall, they are pretty nice. Since I have to wear chinos to the office four days a week it's definitely going to be these.
Where did you purchase them from? Sounds like the pair I've been looking for.

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got them at the Polo store in Atlanta. But, they are from his Double RL line which is mainly western/workwear/military inspired. They've got them in a really dark black as well. Not sure how they are on sizes in stock right now, but I got a 30x32 (I measure 32x32) and my APCs are a 30. I'd say they fit similarly in the waist to my APCs. The chinos aren't tapered but are a slim straight.

Here is a pic:
IMG_1505.jpg

djs488

Reaction score
if i may ask, why aren't you washing them? I'm not saying you should be washing them, but you seem to be making a point not to. Do you really want "fades" in your chinos, and is that even possible?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads