• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good tank tops for the gym?

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
When working out my upper body I've found it far more comfortable to use a tank than a t-shirt. Unfortunately the tanks I currently own are too long. What's a good tank that isn't too long that is also well-fitting?

Jon.

Thanks Mods!

greg_atlanta

Reaction score
Like a wifebeater? Just try some of the premium underwear brands like 2xist or CK. Or try a form fitting sleeveless t-shirt instead.

Brad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't be the guy wearing a tank top at the gym. Period.

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brad
Don't be the guy wearing a tank top at the gym. Period.

+1

redgrail

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd rather be slightly uncomfortable than looking like a tool.
Wear an old beat-up t-shirt like everyone else.
If you're less than in perfect condition, you can bet every guy in there is thinking "Look at that wuss thinking he's hot ****".
If you ARE in perfect condition, you can bet every guy in there is watching your every move. If you ever have to have your spotter step in/can't finish a set, they'll all be laughing to themselves.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I tend to wear under armour hear gear sleeveless Ts... they keep you cool and are pretty fitted. I wear the loose gear ones and size down a lot so they're not incredibly baggy. I wear S for tighter fit and M for pretty normal fit.

cldpsu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lol who cares.. you guys are ridiculous. You assume everyone is there trying to impress because of the tank top. It happens I sweat like a pig and want to have as light and few **** on as possible.

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear tanks if I'm rowing on the erg or running... but don't go with anything form fitting, that defeats the comfort purpose, and you'll look like a tool. +3 on that.

I've used cheap Macy's Club Room stuff. I think they're pajama tops, but whatever. They last forever, cheap (find them on sale for about $2-$5) and comfortable.

cldpsu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JoeWoah
I wear tanks if I'm rowing on the erg or running... but don't go with anything form fitting, that defeats the comfort purpose, and you'll look like a tool. +3 on that.

I've used cheap Macy's Club Room stuff. I think they're pajama tops, but whatever. They last forever, cheap (find them on sale for about $2-$5) and comfortable.

I get annoyed with loose fitting stuff though because I feel like it's going to get caught on bars and stuff. That sounds pretty obsessive

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with tanks but I prefer sleeveless tee. Just don't wear wifebeaters, that's underwear.

Loose clothes bug the crap out of me psychologically. When I'm swimming in fabric, it makes me feel smaller and I dislike that. I'm not down with the skin tight underarmour but it needs to be reasonably fitted without constricting movement.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Tank tops are fine for the gym.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
Tank tops are fine for the gym.

Yes. Don't over-analyze this ****. It ain't rocket science.

I have some black tanks from 2(x)ist that I wear in the summer. My gym is too damn cold to wear a tank in the winter.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by redgrail
I'd rather be slightly uncomfortable than looking like a tool.
Wear an old beat-up t-shirt like everyone else.
If you're less than in perfect condition, you can bet every guy in there is thinking "Look at that wuss thinking he's hot ****".
If you ARE in perfect condition, you can bet every guy in there is watching your every move. If you ever have to have your spotter step in/can't finish a set, they'll all be laughing to themselves

Is this your gym?

To reiterate what some have already said, tank tops / sleeveless tees are perfectly fine. On most days I'd do 2,3 sets of oly / big lifts, some isos, interval cardios, and get the hell out within 45 minutes or so. I'm not there to impress anyone; if others think of me as a tool, so be it.

Jon, this Champion shirt works well. For some reason size selection on the site is a bit limited. Their C9 line, available at most Targets, is good as well. Many here have had good experiences with the brand.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On second thought, you can just cut the sleeves off certain tee shirts, like many of your Abercrombie & Fitch / Hollister fanboy peer.
devil.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads