• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do I need to know about suede shoes?

bobdobalina

Reaction score
Brown suede shoes seem to be available pretty widely at a decent markdown lately (BB, AE, Tramezza), and I think I like the way they look.

Unfortunately, I'm a living trainwreck, and I don't do well with fragile things.

So tell me, do suede shoes have a short lifespan on the feet of a toe-stubbing, heel-dragging klutz like me? Do they require additional care beyond what one would normally give to a leather shoe? Will I ruin them if I get salt/beer/spittle on them? Can they be cleaned regularly? Must they be cleaned regularly?

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Suede shoes are not as fragile as people seem to think. In fact, I've had great luck with them holding up quite well.

I still have the first pair of Allen Edmonds (suede) shoes that I bought in 1996, and I wear them fairly often, and they look brand new. I wore them through some snow the other day out of necessity.

Bottom line, if you take care of them; shoe trees, some protectant spray, a good suede nap brush, and a good cleaning solution, they'll be fine. Avoid spilling grease on them, but we can even work through that.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have always sprayed my suede shoes with a silicon waterproof spray from my shoe repair place. Some brands, may even say their suede is already water proof or water resistant.

I find that medium to dark brown is the best color. Sand and light tan do tend to show more marks.

I have a pair of Heschung suede brogues in a dark brown with a rubber sole. They have been everywhere, under all conditions, and they still look great.

cmrocks

Reaction score
I say wear them hard and take good care of them. Suede shoes/boots look great once they are distressed from use.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TCN
Bottom line, if you take care of them; shoe trees, some protectant spray, a good suede nap brush, and a good cleaning solution, they'll be fine. Avoid spilling grease on them, but we can even work through that.

I'm not familiar with suede "cleaning solutions." I do use a protectant spray, and I use a brush and eraser, and that's it on the few pairs of suede shoes I own. Could you please expound a little on them? How beneficial are they?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I bought suede shoes in December and have enjoyed wearing them. I don't wear them often but they provide a nice change from my shell and calf shoes.

finch

Reaction score
Make sure you purchase a good spray protector. I spray my suedes every three mo's or so and they've held up really well. Certainly not a winter item in my parts but even so I just wear my rubbers on top for snowy days.

A Guy from Shanghai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by finch
Make sure you purchase a good spray protector. I spray my suedes every three mo's or so and they've held up really well. Certainly not a winter item in my parts but even so I just wear my rubbers on top for snowy days.

What would you recommend for a good spray protector?

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
I'm not familiar with suede "cleaning solutions." I do use a protectant spray, and I use a brush and eraser, and that's it on the few pairs of suede shoes I own. Could you please expound a little on them? How beneficial are they?

Saphir makes a cleaning solution, I kid you not when I say it's a miracle. I took my suede oxfords in to a local cobbler for cleaning after some grease was spilled on them and a suede eraser had proved fruitless. He told me that there was nothing I could do.

On a whim and someone here's recommendation, I tried the Saphir cleaner; two easy applications, and they looked brand new.

borderline

Reaction score
Hope this is not a hijack, but could those of you who have suede shoes address whether or not your feet feel hotter in them relative to other common leather types?

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by borderline
Hope this is not a hijack, but could those of you who have suede shoes address whether or not your feet feel hotter in them relative to other common leather types?

I wear suede all the time and find it no hotter than calf. I tend to think my RM Williams in calf are warmer than my beloved dark brown suede chelseas.

The key thing to know about suede is that it's awesome.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I enjoy wearing mine with cords or flannels and a heavy odd jacket or sweater. The suede helps to provide a nice balance to the look.

emptym

Reaction score
Originally Posted by borderline
I've been thinking that they feel cooler.

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 518aata
What brand of spray protector do you recommend? Do they all do the same thing, or do some protect, some waterproof, etc.? Does the spray discolor lighter-colored suede?

I use the Cole Haan silicone free spray. Decent protection, very little (if any) change to color.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads