• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sunday's Classical Recording Photos

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Sunday afternoon I recorded a gorgeous sounding violin and harpsichord concert and took a few mediocre photos. I thought some here might be interested in our recording chain which is very compact these days.

Out of focus shot of my microphones and the church venue to give you an idea of mic placement (the second mic tree is from the violinist who records her own work for critique):

hill1.jpg

AKG E200 microphones, with long run of Kimber KCAG for mic cable into 722 box, we use directional mics since the hall was slightly reverberant:

hill5.jpg

Sound Devices 722 which is a recording studio in a box (mic pre, A/D, and hard drive-based data storage). We record at 24/176 which is hirez PCM which adds in some fine detail. We use Grado headphones for monitoring the performance and overall balance of the recording.

hill2.jpg

Olga and Daniel tuning up for the performance:

hill3.jpg

Olga playing. She is one of the better violinists for the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra. The tone was just sweet and beautiful:

hill4.jpg

Once we get the data on the 722, we load into a computer for sound editing. We just lightly make edits as we are trying to just capture the performance "as is". We create both CD and DVD-Audio discs for playback.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Who will be the first to ask about styrofoam cups?

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
No styrofoam was used in the creation of this recording. We do use quite a bit of gaffer's tape.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Who will be the first to ask about styrofoam cups?

Never mind the cups. You do not want to ask about those cables. Ugh.

--Andre

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Andre Yew
Never mind the cups. You do not want to ask about those cables. Ugh.

--Andre

rolleyes.gif

This spoken by someone who was not at the recording and actually listened to the recording quality those cables provided.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
rolleyes.gif

This spoken by someone who was not at the recording and actually listened to the recording quality those cables provided.

If you actually used proper mic cables, you'd never have to worry about this:

funny-pictures-cat-man-tinfoil-hats.jpg

--Andre

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Seperate corners, gentlemen. I was making fun of both of you, not trying to start a fight.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
If you actually used proper mic cables, you'd never have to worry about this:
What do you consider proper mic cables?

Several boutique labels use KCAG as both mic cables and interconnects in their recording chain. Chesky and others are using the similar Crystal Cable. Kimber KCAG is a very highly resolving, neutral cable and suited well for recording. We also use Cardas and DH Labs Silversonic cable but we were doing three recordings at once so our preferred Silversonic cable was not available. But ultimately the sound speaks for itself and I just got a call from our mastering engineer and he said the sound was terrific.

The reason we don't use a typical pro type cable like Mogami is that we find they just don't sound as good as the more specialized cables. The lack detail and often sound a bit "cool".

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
One other thing. Ray Kimber who founded Kimber Kable has created his own record label called IsoMike a few years ago to help promote a new microphone baffle he has invented and some local musicians in Utah. He issues these really superb recordings on Super Audio CD and he does use his own cables for the mics, including KCAG.

If you like classical music, his Isomike recording of The Fry Street Quartet is superb and highly recommended.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A proper mic cable is shielded, which the KCAG isn't. Its braid is also too loose to carry balanced noise cancellation very high in frequency, making it susceptible to RF interference. I've worked with Kimber braided interconnects, and have suffered from this problem. They are sensitive to placement relative to power lines and other equipment, and I don't think they're a very smart design in general.

The price (at about 0.5 Matuozzo handmade shirts/meter) is also outrageous, but that's another discussion altogether.

Ray Kimber's IsoMike technique sounds good because of the mics and the physical configuration, and not because of the cable used.

--Andre

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
A proper mic cable is shielded, which the KCAG isn't. Its braid is also too loose to carry balanced noise cancellation very high in frequency, making it susceptible to RF interference. I've worked with Kimber braided interconnects, and have suffered from this problem. They are sensitive to placement relative to power lines and other equipment, and I don't think they're a very smart design in general.
We have not had any RF problems with the cable, otherwise I would agree with you. Our normal Silversonic cable is shielded.

The pricing is high on a per meter basis but several of us get industry accommodation pricing.

tlmusic

Reaction score
Olga and Daniel tuning up for the performance:

hill3.jpg

Artisan Fan,

What pieces did they record?

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
tl,

It was an hour and a half performance by Olga Schpitko (ASO) and Daniel Pyle (Atlanta Baroque Orchestra). They performed...

Tartini, The Devil's Sonata (Sonata in G Minor No. 1, inspired by a dream of the devil playing violin)
Biber, Sonata VI in C Minor
Corelli, Sonata in A Major
J.S. Bach, Sonata No. 4 in C Minor

tlmusic

Reaction score
tl,

It was an hour and a half performance by Olga Schpitko (ASO) and Daniel Pyle (Atlanta Baroque Orchestra). They performed...

Tartini, The Devil's Sonata (Sonata in G Minor No. 1, inspired by a dream of the devil playing violin)
Biber, Sonata VI in C Minor
Corelli, Sonata in A Major
J.S. Bach, Sonata No. 4 in C Minor

I love this kind of music!

Did the harpsichordist improvise his part from the composer's basso continuo, or did he have a written-out arrangement?

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tlmusic
I love this kind of music!

Did the harpsichordist improvise his part from the composer's basso continuo, or did he have a written-out arrangement?

I believe Daniel had an arrangement. What was really interesting was the Biber piece which had Biber's famous Scordatura which requires the violinist to tune the instrument for a different tone halfyway through the piece.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads