• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why So Many Small Sizes?

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
For me it's very simple. Suits/jackets in 38-40 and pants in 30-36 sell fast and with very little price negotiation. Same thing on ebay. Honestly, I would not even consider getting stuff above 46, unless it was ordered from me. Pants above a 38 waist need to be either sold very cheaply or held onto forever. Interestingly enough, I also stopped selling anything in a 42L-44L as I only know one guy on this forum that is a 42L that regularly buys stuff. On ebay, 42-44L are non starters.

That's because 42Ls like me are built to ideal human proportion and consequently fawned over, gifted of abundant, finely constructed 42L (52L) garments by Kiton bought at retail at Bergdorf Goodman from the most attractive salespeople better than Louis. Boston.

YoungAmerican

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RunningBeagle
That's because 42Ls like me are built to ideal human proportion and consequently fawned over, gifted of abundant, finely constructed 42L (52L) garments by Kiton bought at retail at Bergdorf Goodman from the most attractive salespeople better than Louis. Boston.

As a 42L, I can say that this has certainly been my experience.

Oh, goodness, it's getting late. I'm off to my money bath!

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RunningBeagle
garments by Kiton bought at retail at Bergdorf Goodman from the most attractive salespeople

You mean there are people who don't buy their garments at full retail from Bergdorf ???
confused.gif

Kafka

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Augusto86
a) High-end fashion & style stuff is often pitched/cut for the very slim.

b) A lot of skinny guys come here LOOKING for the sizes rarer in B&M retail.

c) The stuff ends up on here 'cause it's remainders and extras that don't sell in B&M - the very low and high ends of the scale spectrum.

(b) is wrong. I'm 6'1 and 160.

The reason things are so small is because most people on here are asians which are obviously a small race.

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You mean there are people who don't buy their garments at full retail from Bergdorf ???
confused.gif

Yes, for example hobbits who wear 40R and troll the B/S forum.

landho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I go shopping at B&M stores, the only things I see are intended for bull-necked individuals with hairy knuckles and thick bellies, a subset I unfortunately do not belong to.

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sizes EUR 48 made for a 5' 11" 170 lbs guy and EUR 50 for a guy up 6' and 190 lbs are the standard here in Europe.

EUR 48 is very hard to find on sale, EUR 50 is more common, I presume because the most RTW suits are manufactured for a 48 and 50.

52 to 60 you can find a lot on sale.

But I only buy 48 and 50 for sale, so if they don't sell I could keep them for myself ( I wear an EUR 48, 5' 11" 172 lbs ).

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I wonder if people on a marital aids forum have these same issues on their buying and selling forum.

"Why then, are the d*ldo offerings here almost always confined to size 6 and under? There are almost never size 12s, and I'm not sure I've ever seen 14 or above. And the ben wa balls! I don't know many guys who use less than 2 inch circumference ones, but virtually all of the offerings here are smaller than that. I'm not complaining, but it seems curious."

This would make a great Seinfeld skit.

Wicky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lakewolf
Sizes EUR 48 made for a 5' 11" 170 lbs guy and EUR 50 for a guy up 6' and 190 lbs are the standard here in Europe.

EUR 48 is very hard to find on sale, EUR 50 is more common, I presume because the most RTW suits are manufactured for a 48 and 50.

52 to 60 you can find a lot on sale.

But I only buy 48 and 50 for sale, so if they don't sell I could keep them for myself ( I wear an EUR 48, 5' 11" 172 lbs ).

I totally agree with Lakewolf here. I am a EU 50R (somethimes 52 EU depending on the maker) and during sales these sizes are gone in a sec, whilst the bigger sizes EU 54 and upwards can be found plenty (even now), and I am talking Raffaele Caruso, Luigi Borrelli suits for 30%/40% of retail.

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wonder if people on a marital aids forum have these same issues on their buying and selling forum.

"Why then, are the d*ldo offerings here almost always confined to size 6 and under? There are almost never size 12s, and I'm not sure I've ever seen 14 or above. And the ben wa balls! I don't know many guys who use less than 2 inch circumference ones, but virtually all of the offerings here are smaller than that. I'm not complaining, but it seems curious."

Insert (
crackup[1].gif
) "gently used" joke here.

Charlie

Reaction score
+1. I am 6'3" 225, and wear a 44XL - and can't find a thing here or on ebay. I am therefore stuck paying more for suits that the bulimic munchkins get for cheap.

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know about you Ed, but I abstain to do the anal thing with the stuff I sell
lol8[1].gif

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're asking why they don't sell giant sizes but sell normal sizes. I am sure those that are a 36-40S wish there were more items in their size as well but don't seem to have Rochester Big and Tall to shop at.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads