• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Canali Shopping, Awkward Size

hahnb

Reaction score
Being my first post, I'm looking for some advice on purchasing a few Canali suits. Living where I currently do, my two options are Nordstroms and Saks. The problem is that I have a 44" chest, and a 33" waist. It's basically impossible for me to buy a dress shirt off the rack, Hugo Boss is about as close as I can get. I resorted to having them tailor made-which turned out great. Anyways, what kind of additional cost should I be looking at per-suit with that kind of sizing? Also, should I avoid Saks? I don't really wanna blow an extra 400 just because it was purchased at Saks...What kind of price range should I be aiming for at these two locations? Any info is greatly appreciated
smile.gif

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!

Not to sound like I'm brushing you off too much, but searching through the forums, or even just paging through lots of threads will quickly give you an idea of the type of answer you are likely to get. In general, most of the forum members eschew buying from major retailers at full price -- lots will shop at Nordstrom Rack rather than Nordstrom for example. The basic premise is that if you have patience, the same $2000 Zegna suit that you see at Saks will likely wind up at their discount store next season.

So, you'll likely get a "yes" response to the question of avoiding Saks, not because they don't carry quality garments, but that there are better alternatives if your definition of "better" includes waiting, trawling discount options--both in meatspace and online--or just waiting for a killer sale.

Even if you don't have the time&effort to spend on that route, another common opinion is that if you have the money to spend on a full-priced retail suit at Saks, then you should investigate the made-to-measure (MTM) options in your region. There might be skilled tailors in your area that could create custom suit for the same price as that Canali at Saks.

Good luck and have fun!

hahnb

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I won't have the option of waiting around too long for a sale, but it's a possibility. This is where I have my shirts made http://www.summittailoring.com/

The problem is that it takes 4-5 weeks for a shirt, and I'm guessing probably double that for a suit. I really wanted a Canali-even though I realize there are a lot of other options. Living in Akron I don't many options as far as retailers for Canali...

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
It seems to me, if you're buying your suits at Saks or Nordstrom's and paying full price, the alterations should probably be thrown in for free.

hahnb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bradford
It seems to me, if you're buying your suits at Saks or Nordstrom's and paying full price, the alterations should probably be thrown in for free.

They usually are, but I was under the impression that there's an extra charge if a lot of material has to be taken out, maybe not. I haven't purchased a suit there in over a year.

hahnb

Reaction score
Should I be aiming to stay under 1000 at Nordstroms? I know at Saks they're upwards of 1100-1300. I don't really have the luxury of waiting for a sale, so assume I'm shopping at full price...

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you had success with off the rack suits with your measurements? I would think that you're looking at custom every time.

hahnb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by letmebefell
Have you had success with off the rack suits with your measurements? I would think that you're looking at custom every time.

I have a burberry that I got a deal on from Nordstroms-it fits very nicely. I'm a little confused on one topic, can I get a MTM Canali from Saks or Nordstroms? If so, would the price be enough to justify just going to a tailor and getting a suit made? I'd like to stay around 1000 a piece, but I don't think that's possible with a nice MTM...

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
at the risk of being called for spamming, I'd recommend mytailor.com. You'll get the suit you want for less than that price, with a five-six week wait (just like your shirts).

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd think you'd be hard pressed to find a Canali sportcoat for less than $1000 at full retail price, let alone a suit. It sounds like time is of the essence at this point, eliminating many of the savings options suggested. In that case, I'd say buy one suit (you mention Canali suits in your original post) now and take time to explore other, less expensive avenues.

As for MTM, both Nordstrom and Saks here in San Francisco have MTM programs, but I don't know if they cover Canali or not. I've just seen the MTM areas of the stores, but never checked them out in great detail. But, I'd expect the MTM program to be way beyond your $1000 budget.

hahnb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by binge
I'd think you'd be hard pressed to find a Canali sportcoat for less than $1000 at full retail price, let alone a suit. It sounds like time is of the essence at this point, eliminating many of the savings options suggested. In that case, I'd say buy one suit (you mention Canali suits in your original post) now and take time to explore other, less expensive avenues. As for MTM, both Nordstrom and Saks here in San Francisco have MTM programs, but I don't know if they cover Canali or not. I've just seen the MTM areas of the stores, but never checked them out in great detail. But, I'd expect the MTM program to be way beyond your $1000 budget.
Well I can spend more than 1000, but I was hoping to stay around there. I was at saks a few weeks ago and their Canalis were going for around 1600. If I were going to get one suit, I could swing up to 2k. I can talk with my tailor about their suits, I believe they start out at 695 MTM.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads