• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Elton John's 60th b-day concert

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've seen a good number of clips from this concert and it sounds/looks phenomenal. It's out on Blu-Ray and I'm told it's supposed to air sometime in April. He played a lot of obscure songs. The best is definitely Ballad of a Well-Known Gun, an Elton song I never thought I'd hear live. I think he sings this better as a baritone than a tenor. Take Me to the Pilot: I'm Still Standing:

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Elton John is the man. One of my style icons ever since he switched his wardrobe to entirely Yohji Yamamoto. Favorite song of his is still "Benny and the Jets"

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Do you like Cher?

Originally Posted by Connemara
Actually, I detest Cher. She is terrible.

He's lying, LabelKing.

Conne, we know you love her and she will be a future avatar.

What do you think of Bette Midler?

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
96702551_df684e6286.jpg

How about these hotties?

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
I've seen Elton John twice in concert in the last 15-years and to be honest, his voice has really declined from the first concert I saw to the one about three years ago.

The first show was in about 1993 or '94 - a friend got stood up by a date and called to see if I wanted the extra ticket. It was a great show, just Elton with a piano and a percussionist on stage. I didn't really think of myself as a big Elton John fan before that, but I was impressed with his performance as well as the sheer number of hits he had - some of which I had forgotten about.

Because of that, I took my wife to his concert in 2005. This time he performed with a full band, backup singers and the whole stage show. It was still good and he still plays all his hits, however, it was obvious that his voice was no longer in the shape it had been even 11 or 12 years earlier. On practically every song he let his backup singers carry the melody after a certain point or above a certain pitch. I know it's just a symptom of aging, but I was disappointed.

I was even more disappointed in Elton a few months later when we saw Paul McCartney in concert and he did the whole show with just a four piece band, no backup singers and hit his notes all on his own.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bradford
I've seen Elton John twice in concert in the last 15-years and to be honest, his voice has really declined from the first concert I saw to the one about three years ago. The first show was in about 1993 or '94 - a friend got stood up by a date and called to see if I wanted the extra ticket. It was a great show, just Elton with a piano and a percussionist on stage. I didn't really think of myself as a big Elton John fan before that, but I was impressed with his performance as well as the sheer number of hits he had - some of which I had forgotten about. Because of that, I took my wife to his concert in 2005. This time he performed with a full band, backup singers and the whole stage show. It was still good and he still plays all his hits, however, it was obvious that his voice was no longer in the shape it had been even 11 or 12 years earlier. On practically every song he let his backup singers carry the melody after a certain point or above a certain pitch. I know it's just a symptom of aging, but I was disappointed. I was even more disappointed in Elton a few months later when we saw Paul McCartney in concert and he did the whole show with just a four piece band, no backup singers and hit his notes all on his own.
People forget that Elton had serious throat surgery in the late 80's. He initially lost most of his falsetto and since then the voice has declined progressively. I still enjoy his voice/performances.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
IMO Elton went downhill after Tumbleweed Connection and ***** Chateau

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I finally picked up the DVD and it's quite good. The entire band is energetic and Elton really pounds away on the keys.

He played a ton of gems that haven't been performed in 20-30 yrs. I think there were a couple that he played live for the first time.

Best among the rarities are "Ballad of a Well Known Gun" (as I said before, sounds MUCH better with his lower-register voice), "Madman Across the Water," "Empty Garden," and a killer "Hercules."

EDIT: Also included in the extras are ~15 rare performances from the early '70's on through to 2006. Awesome stuff.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am going to see him in concert next month. I'm looking forward to it.

Reaction score
While I still have love for Elton, there's something about that youthful falsetto from his older output that I yearn for in his post-1986 work. Earlier today I was listening to "My Father's Gun" from Tumbleweed Connection -- the way that man could write and perform a hook in the 70s was untouchable.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads