• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you reading?

topbroker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cordovan
"Bleak House" by Dickens

My favorite novel of all time. I hope that lawyerdad has read this, too; given its legal themes; it would be a shame if he hadn't. There was a delightful little volume published many decades ago called Charles Dickens as a Legal Historian that I read with great pleasure in conjunction with Bleak House.

Mr T

Reaction score
Currently Malory's Le Morte d'Arthur. This is a nice break from my typical rotation of Hemingway, Murakami, and Kafka. Especially Hemingway. Especially For Whom the Bell Tolls and The Sun Also Rises - both of which I recently read for the gazillionth time.

TheGreek

Reaction score
Currently reading "Predators' Ball" by Connie Bruck

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just finishing Orhan Panuk's My Name Is Red and am moving onto The People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks. Got to support the local talent, don't you know. Lying around my table is the new Peter Carey, His Illegal Self, which I am dying to get into. (The cover reminds me of the U2 album, Boy). Exciting news announced today is that there will be a new Tim Winton in a few months, his first novel for 7 years. That will be a great read no doubt. When I visit India, I always stock up on books because they are far cheaper than here. Apart from the Panuk, I bought a Daniel Pennac children's story called Dog. Also bought historical books The Terracotta Army, Necropolis and Thug. Also bought Eileen Chang's Lust, Caution. Oh and I finally found Nassim Nicholas Taleb's Fooled by Randomness. So all these are now on my list.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gumercindo
Just picked up:
The Teammates: A Portrait of a Friendship, by Dave Halberstam
The Ghost War, by Alex Berenson

I loved The Teammates. Even though I am not into baseball in the slightest, Halberstam made me really care about Ted Williams and his friends. It's a great read on a lot of levels.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Finished:

The Secret of Scent - Luca Turin
Never Let Me go - Kazuo Ishiguri
The Last Dance - John Feinstein
The Pope's Ceiling - Russ King (?)

In progress:

Friend of the Earth - T.C. Boyle
God is Not Great - Christopher Hitchens

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just started God Is Not Great by the Hitch.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by topbroker
My favorite novel of all time. I hope that lawyerdad has read this, too; given its legal themes; it would be a shame if he hadn't. There was a delightful little volume published many decades ago called Charles Dickens as a Legal Historian that I read with great pleasure in conjunction with Bleak House.

Actually, it's one of the Dickens novels I haven't gotten to yet. Based on that recc^, I'll have to bump it up the list. I tend to approach law-themed books, movies, etc. with hesitation. That said, A Frolic Of His Own is a favorite of mine and have I always enjoyed the Rumpole novels, so that's more like a quasi-rule.

topbroker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
Actually, it's one of the Dickens novels I haven't gotten to yet. Based on that recc^, I'll have to bump it up the list. I tend to approach law-themed books, movies, etc. with hesitation. That said, A Frolic Of His Own is a favorite of mine and have I always enjoyed the Rumpole novels, so that's more like a quasi-rule.

Another great Victorian novel with a legal flavor is Trollope's Orley Farm. Wonderful book.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
For my book club I just read The Perks of Being a Wallflower.

King Francis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
God is Not Great - Christopher Hitchens

What a bad book.

I'm reading A. D. Nuttall's Shakespeare the Thinker, D. H. Lawrence's Women in Love, and a book of classical Arabic philosophy. Also assorted volumes of The Onion.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by King Francis
What a bad book.

What don't you like about it? I have my own opinions about it, which I'm keeping to myself for the moment.

topbroker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
What don't you like about it? I have my own opinions about it, which I'm keeping to myself for the moment.

Oh dear, this could take the thread in a whole new direction.
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads