• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Modern Bookshelves/Shelving

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
Bezos_Kindle_2.jpg

LD is that you? I never pictured you as bald
confused.gif

laugh.gif

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I likethe look of the old lawyer's bookcases. They are the bookcases that looked like cabinets, and had glass doors, and curtains to protect the expensive law books from dust and sun.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I likethe look of the old lawyer's bookcases. They are the bookcases that looked like cabinets, and had glass doors, and curtains to protect the expensive law books from dust and sun.
I really like the ones with leaded glass. The better ones come apart in sections, for transport. Stackable before there was stackable.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Most of my WAYW pics are taken in front of my stackable barrister bookcase. Mine are in dark cherry from Levenger. I'm up to five sections, which is pretty tall. With the next section I'll likely split them into two separate cases, but that will require the purchase of a new top and legs. It's a good way to spread the purchase out over time.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kronik
I ended up going with 3 units of the Cubitec, 2 in green, 1 in red. We'll see how they play out.
<Pats self on back>

Are the green and red bookshelves going to be next to each other? I'd like to see how that works out.

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yep. Hopefully it works out decent, otherwise I'll buy another set of green and use the red elsewhere.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've considered the sapiens or the West Elm/CB2 ripoffs. I think it's crappy ikean shelving until I get a new place, though.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
LD is that you? I never pictured you as bald
confused.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Nope. I may exhibit many indicia of middle age, but baldness is definitely not one of them. But I would gladly trade, say, 5% of my hair for 5% of Bezos's net worth.

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoreman1782
I've considered the sapiens or the West Elm/CB2 ripoffs. I think it's crappy ikean shelving until I get a new place, though.
I like the Sapiens as well but my girlfriend is opposed - she thinks they'd look messy, not to mention we'd have to buy 6-7 of them.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Double post

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
laugh.gif

Nope. I may exhibit many indicia of middle age, but baldness is definitely not one of them. But I would gladly trade, say, 5% of my hair for 5% of Bezos's net worth.

Judging by a photograph LD posted, he bears a remarkable resemblance to Steve Carell.

lawyerdad

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
Judging by a photograph LD posted, he bears a remarkable resemblance to Steve Carell.
laugh.gif

Funny, I've never gotten Carell as one of my "you know, you look like . . . celebrities". I don't think I really look much like him, but I can see how there's a superficial resemblance.

lawyerdad

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
I like these from DWR and the price is good too.

http://www.dwr.com/productdetail.cfm?id=5280

http://www.dwr.com/productdetail.cfm?id=2989

I have the second, or something similar. Works well for what it is (stronger than it looks) and aesthetically interesting. But if you have a lot of books it's not very practical as your primary option. It not only just does not hold that many books, it also requires that you arrange the books with eye toward size and exercise more care in removing/replacing them than is true with horizontal shelving.
Originally Posted by LabelKing

Aesthetically, I like these as well. In my experience, they have two practical limitations. First, the ratio of space consumed to actual shelving space is necessarily higher. This may or may not be a problem, of course, depending on your volume of books and available space. Second, if you tend to do a lot of grabbing a book, checking a reference, putting it back, grabbing a difference book to remind yourself of something else ten minutes later, etc., the enclosure can become cumbersome. But for books-by-the-foot that you keep around to impress guests, they're very nice.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
^I keep first editions and such that I want to be particularly protected from the elements as well as small children and guests in mine. They wouldn't be practical for volumes you want to use frequently for reference.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads