• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do I have to fly to Tokyo to get a decent suit/jacket/coat?

stevejobs

Reaction score
I'm on the small side and although I love the style and cut of Zegna and similar designers, I find it impossible to find anything in my size. I don't want to either go the route of bespoke/mtm or use the boys room, so I'm thinking of travelling to Tokyo, Seoul or Hong Kong to get a decently fit suit. Most Asians are close my size and I'm sure the designers stock appropriately sized garments in those outlets. Why they don't bring some of them over here is a mystery to me. Asians and other shorter statured guys make up a sizable proportion of customers in the major coastal cities where I live.

Hanseat

Reaction score
I'm sure you'd find something in Italy as well- italians aren't exactly giants themselves

coogie

Reaction score
I'm going to Hong Kong soon and hope to get MTM there of course

but i heard its really great shopping too in the central area.

Why don't you want a mtm suit? they probably cost $300 for a good one

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OP-

Average Americans a) are too big and b) will get bigger within the lifetime of their clothes so c) they buy their clothes too big. Manufacturers make clothes for average Americans. This is why it seems there are no clothes for skinny people. If you want stuff that fits well, get it MTM or size down. If you're a genuine 36" chest or you're 5'2", you're SOL. MTM is your only answer.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Fly to to a land where they don't have StyleForum.

stevejobs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by letmebefell
OP-

Average Americans a) are too big and b) will get bigger within the lifetime of their clothes so c) they buy their clothes too big. Manufacturers make clothes for average Americans. This is why it seems there are no clothes for skinny people. If you want stuff that fits well, get it MTM or size down. If you're a genuine 36" chest or you're 5'2", you're SOL.

I agree with your assessment.
frown.gif

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm, I thought he's gay (read: cheery).

Originally Posted by stevejobs
SoCal2NYC is just a grumpy old man...

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How true is this? Can people who live in Japan, Taiwan, or HK confirm?

Originally Posted by stevejobs
I'm on the small side and although I love the style and cut of Zegna and similar designers, I find it impossible to find anything in my size. I don't want to either go the route of bespoke/mtm or use the boys room, so I'm thinking of travelling to Tokyo, Seoul or Hong Kong to get a decently fit suit. Most Asians are close my size and I'm sure the designers stock appropriately sized garments in those outlets. Why they don't bring some of them over here is a mystery to me. Asians and other shorter statured guys make up a sizable proportion of customers in the major coastal cities where I live.

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
HK is sadly not the Mecca of 36S either, though there are certainly more than your average American city. I go to HK for the tailors and because Tassels sells Edward Green's consistently at less than full retail.

Tokyo is a better bet since 36 is more common and they will go down to 34. Seoul I've never been.

Viktri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Coho
How true is this? Can people who live in Japan, Taiwan, or HK confirm?
I can't speak for the suits, but I know the T shirts and stuff are alot smaller in HK.

nmoraitis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Coho
Hmm, I thought he's gay (read: cheery).

No, I think he's gay (read: does dudes)

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not to hijack the thread, but what's the cheapest airline fair for round trip from Cali to Hong Kong or Japan? Through whom?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads