• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Q: Can a short man wear a double-breasted suit?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This is sort of a follow-up question to my inquiry about flannels. I tend to think that anyone can wear a double-breasted suit, even the shorter of us, so long as you've got the right build. It seems that leaner is better in that regard. But how lean is lean enough? I'm not skinny, but far from fat, too. To be precise: 5'4", 135 lbs, 38-inch chest, 18-inch shoulders, 29-inch waist, gigantic head. Too stocky, too short, plain unimaginable?

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I break your chops often here (although I love your shirt and pant choices) but I truly mean no ill will towards you in my following comment, I think at 5'4" wearing a DB looks wrong. I am sure many will disagree, but I think it looks costumey, somehwat like a boy wearing his dad's clothes. I really can't explain it, it just looks weird to me.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes you can wear one. Look at the old pics of the duke of Wales, and more importantly in your case, DeSica or Toto.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
I break your chops often here (although I love your shirt and pant choices) but I truly mean no ill will towards you in my following comment, I think at 5'4" wearing a DB looks wrong. I am sure many will disagree, but I think it looks costumey, somehwat like a boy wearing his dad's clothes. I really can't explain it, it just looks weird to me.
I was thinking the same. It would look like you are about to go grab a frozen hot chocolate with your mom at Serendipity.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel

Oh, there's no ill will perceived. I appreciate the candid opinion, in fact. So, even if the suit fits properly, you think it would still look costume?

Originally Posted by T4phage
Yes you can wear one. Look at the old pics of the duke of Wales, and more importantly in your case, DeSica or Toto.

I hope you're right, but I don't think DeSica was as short as me, and I actually don't know what Toto looks like.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Proportion, or lack of, is more evident on DB. Button position, stance, amount of overlap, shoulder, lapel, all contribute to the proper balance of proportion.

Can work on any body type.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
^^^ Oh, there's no ill will perceived. I appreciate the candid opinion, in fact. So, even if the suit fits properly, you think it would still look costume?

I'm sure you'll look fine I just think that DB's look better on people a bit taller than average. I find that they "shorten" you for some reason. The Duke wore them, but I think he looked much better in the SB's. How tall was he anyway? Anyway, yuo are in the hands of masters so I wouldn't worry too much about it. I'm not that tall (5'9-10") and I have a DB sportcoat.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm a touch over 5'5" and about the same weight as you. Your other measurements aren't too far off. I have a few DB suits and jackets. Some work in my opinion, some don't.

I think the key is a shorter length and tailored, fitted style.

Here are a few photos for you to decide what works and what doesn't:

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
Proportion, or lack of, is more evident on DB. Button position, stance, amount of overlap, shoulder, lapel, all contribute to the proper balance of proportion.

Can work on any body type.

Maybe that is one of my issues. So many buttons on a short swath of fabric seems odd to me.

nioh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HomerJ
Is age a factor then? Seems like an older man could pull it off more readily.

I don't believe so. Rather it's a matter of cut and style.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nioh
I don't believe so. Rather it's a matter of cut and style.

confidence and attitude as well

Qasimkhan

Reaction score
How would you tailor a DB for a shorter/stockier man?
Originally Posted by Despos
Proportion, or lack of, is more evident on DB. Button position, stance, amount of overlap, shoulder, lapel, all contribute to the proper balance of proportion. Can work on any body type.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I used to wear a lot of double breasted suits. While they didn't add to my hieght, and they may have made me look ever more stocky, I don't think that anyone would have thought they made me look younger. I think that this has to do with a certain gravity, maybe not an age issue but a dignity issue.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads