• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Ultimate Supplement Thread!

smw356

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
I used to take a multi-vitamin but now I am going towards eating more raw fruits and vegetables.

Doing this was quite possibly the best thing I have ever done nutritionally speaking. The difference in overall wellbeing, recovery and gains in the gym is more than you'll get out of any legal supplement.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by smw356
Doing this was quite possibly the best thing I have ever done nutritionally speaking. The difference in overall wellbeing, recovery and gains in the gym is more than you'll get out of any legal supplement.

Yeah I think apples are probably one of the best things you can eat. My favorite is the 3 apples a day I eat now with some organic peanut butter containing palm oil as opposed to transfats. mmmm.

I'm going to buy some of these anyways:
http://products.mercola.com/whole-foods-multivitamin/

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Right now.

Whey protein
Multivitamin
some GNC brand NO booster that does very little
Arginine + other Amino Acids

I've used NO Xplode and I thought it worked well. Creatine didn't do much.

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bdeuce22
how did you get the whey so cheap. i just bought a 5lb. container of the same stuff for 40 + tax at vitamin shoppe as well. the rising milk prices were the cause from what i heard.

They're always in the front of the store that I go to at the price... hasn't changed in 3 years. VS's are franchises I think, so it's really up to the owners of the individual stores.

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah I think apples are probably one of the best things you can eat. My favorite is the 3 apples a day I eat now with some organic peanut butter containing palm oil as opposed to transfats. mmmm.

I'm going to buy some of these anyways:
http://products.mercola.com/whole-foods-multivitamin/

I use More Than a Multiple. It's made with whole food, has a better nutritional profile...
and is manufactured/sold by more reputable sources.

The link goes to Amazon, there are lots of different versions, you can pick the one that would work for you.

I agree that eatting more whole foods would be the best way to go, but I really don't have the time and most bars only have lettuce, haha.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JoeWoah
I use More Than a Multiple. It's made with whole food, has a better nutritional profile...
and is manufactured/sold by more reputable sources.

The link goes to Amazon, there are lots of different versions, you can pick the one that would work for you.

I agree that eatting more whole foods would be the best way to go, but I really don't have the time and most bars only have lettuce, haha.

I might try it since it is cheap, but did you read Dr. Mercola's site or watch his video? His stuff is pretty legit and made to the most anal retentive standards possible. He just opened a new office with the highest grade certification for EMF emittance.

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I might try it since it is cheap, but did you read Dr. Mercola's site or watch his video? His stuff is pretty legit and made to the most anal retentive standards possible. He just opened a new office with the highest grade certification for EMF emittance.
I did after, my first impression was that it looked like one of those sites that sells penis enlargement products or a get rich quick scheme when you accidentally click on a SPAM link. Still, the nutritional profile wasn't particularly impressive for a Multi.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sign up for his newsletter, lots of good, quick reads get emailed to you every week.

Young Scrappy

Reaction score
I bring these threads back from the dead, call me young Dr. Frankenstein.

I am doing this 6 week workout. Breakdown:

Sunday - Basketball
Monday - Legs
Tues - Chest
Wedn - Plyometrics
Thurs - Back
Fri- Shoulder/Arms
Sat - Track, Suicides and Sprints.

I'm trying to gain some mass and improve my vertical (weird combo). I'm a vegetarian. My specs are 6" and 187 lbs. I'm trying to get to 200 lbs. I have upped my protein shakes from 1 to 3 a day. I want to do this right so if there are supplements that can help, creatine (but I want to keep the size). I asked a vegetarian friend he uses something called Morph and Purple Wrath (BCAA) but he's already big. I'll try them but what I've read on here the BCAA burns fat.

eidolon

Reaction score
Fish oil (including CLA) - 4-5g/day
Creatine - 5g, 4-5x/week
Beta-alanine - currently off, probably will get back on it during football season
A greens supplement - currently off, going to try Superfood in a couple months coming off Greens+

Various ****: BCAA's, whey (obviously, TeamSkip, ON or Syntha-6 depending on what I'm doing), an occasional multivitamin (Jarrow 1-3, no iron), um... food.

dimshum

Reaction score
At the moment I'm taking the following for my 8% BF goal.

GNC Mega Men Multivitamin
Fish Oil
Nitor fat burner - I'm supposed to take six a day, but I only take one--it's too intense.
ON Vanilla Chai Whey

rxcats

Reaction score
I take Kirkland Signature Fish Oil (Costco brand) 1000mg (contains 300mg of omega-3 ***** acids as EPA/DHA) as #3 capsules BID, TruNature Flaxseed Oil 1300mg (omega-3 as alpha linolenic acid 780mg plus omega-6 and omega-9) as #1 BID and MegaRed 300mg (omega-3 krill oil as EPA/DHA 90mg) as #1 BID. I also take vitamin D3 2000IU daily, biotin 5000mcg daily and coenzyme-Q10 100mg daily. I mainly take the co-Q10 because I am on Lipitor. There is strong scientific evidence that statins lower your endogenous production of co-Q10 and is likely the cause of many of the potential adverse effects of that drug. I suggest anyone taking a statin also take co-Q10 as well.

I thought about getting a subscription to consumerlab.com. One of my concerns with dietary supplements is not only possible contamination, but amount of active ingredients and absorption. Some products are never broken down in the gut and just pass through making them a waste of money. I try to purchase supplements that have been USP tested; the Costco brand Fish Oil has.

dimshum

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rxcats
I take Kirkland Signature Fish Oil (Costco brand) 1000mg (contains 300mg of omega-3 ***** acids as EPA/DHA) as #3 capsules BID, TruNature Flaxseed Oil 1300mg (omega-3 as alpha linolenic acid 780mg plus omega-6 and omega-9) as #1 BID and MegaRed 300mg (omega-3 krill oil as EPA/DHA 90mg) as #1 BID. I also take vitamin D3 2000IU daily, biotin 5000mcg daily and coenzyme-Q10 100mg daily. I mainly take the co-Q10 because I am on Lipitor. There is strong scientific evidence that statins lower your endogenous production of co-Q10 and is likely the cause of many of the potential adverse effects of that drug. I suggest anyone taking a statin also take co-Q10 as well.

I thought about getting a subscription to consumerlab.com. One of my concerns with dietary supplements is not only possible contamination, but amount of active ingredients and absorption. Some products are never broken down in the gut and just pass through making them a waste of money. I try to purchase supplements that have been USP tested; the Costco brand Fish Oil has.

rxcats,

I've been trying to figure out the difference in benefits between fish oil and flaxseed oil, could you share? Thanks!

rxcats

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dimshum
rxcats,

I've been trying to figure out the difference in benefits between fish oil and flaxseed oil, could you share? Thanks!

Fish oils contain the omega-3 ***** acids eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA). Flaxseed oil contains alpha-linolenic acid (ALA) which has some potential to convert to EPA and to a lesser extent DHA. Flaxseed oil also contains omega-6 and omega-9 ***** acids. Fish oils are really the most important sources of omega-3 ***** acids in humans, but I take a bit of flaxseed oil too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads