• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rockabilly Style

kiya

Brand Representative
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
yea totally

I think we both know what we look like so that wont be a problem

btw, are you going to have a vendor booth? if so, what location (which room/hotel)?

No vendor booth this year.. Just a full page ad in the program and talks of doing a special jean for next year's event.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Denson...don't know much about them as I've never actually seen a pair

but arent they a bit like a brothel creeper, with the thick crepe sole? I've heard about them in passing conversations about gear but have no experience with em IRL. It did sound like Denson made shoes that were "Jubilees" so I'm sure the 2 have some relation to each other.

btw, this thread necromance inspired me to get this image from the book "Haircults" for my new avatar!

**** and I here I thought you'd just given "little Jas" a new doo.

jkennett

Reaction score
I was just skimming through this thread, and had no idea that George Cox had any street cred. I bought a pair at Schuh in Dublin a few years ago on a whim. They looked pretty cool, and were something like 50% off. Just glanced at them again and realized they're goodyear welted. I do recall seeing that they were made in England, and was excited about that since Doc Martens stopped making them domestically years ago. Anyways... I'm glad I stumbled upon this thread.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
speaking of "made in england" and Doc Marten....they just re-released a "Made in UK" line of 8 hole 1460s...some reason it's only in navy and green, not black or oxblood. $150 vs $100 normal MiC

yep George Cox are goodyear welted (the only creepers to be made this way), except for the winklepickers I had were def not GW, but something along the lines of blake stitched

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
btw, there is a series called "My Freedamn" that guys into rockabilly or even denim/workwear style would be into. Their volume 4 & 5 focus on 40s - 50s vintage leather, denim, gabardine etc

This thread reminded me of it, I'll scan and post some pics from the book later when time permits. All of the pieces are owned by collectors and there is some amazing stuff in there

jkennett

Reaction score
My George Cox shoes.
DSC01630-1.jpg

DSC01626.jpg

bonus pic of my 10 eye Made in England Docs
DSC01633.jpg

dave

Reaction score
speaking of "made in england" and Doc Marten....they just re-released a "Made in UK" line of 8 hole 1460s...some reason it's only in navy and green, not black or oxblood. $150 vs $100 normal MiC

nice! have you got any idea when or where they'll be available?

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
they have the navy and green ones on dmusastore.com

I have the navy ones which I love...so much better than the "navy blue" they used to do which was way too "blue". Too bad the green ones are a Riddler green....would be swell if they were a dark olive

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jkennett

bonus pic of my 10 eye Made in England Docs
DSC01633.jpg

What a treat! I've never owned a pair of Doc Martens and would like one. I'm very picky though when it comes to shoes and I like the ones make in the U.K. Do you know if they are still available?

jkennett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Maharlika
What a treat! I've never owned a pair of Doc Martens and would like one. I'm very picky though when it comes to shoes and I like the ones make in the U.K. Do you know if they are still available?
I didn't think that they were... However, Get Smart pointed out that there are two boots currently available that are made in England. They're 8 eyelet instead of the 10 that I have, and only available in navy and green. http://www.dmusastore.com/pc-2290-25-mie-1460.aspx I'm hoping that this "Made in England Collection" that the two boots are from is expanded... because I'd really prefer a cherry (to polish into oxblood) or black in 10 eyelet... My current pair aren't very structurally sound these days, so a replacement is in order fall/winter. I'm not sure whether it'll be another pair of Dr. Martens though, as I've been looking at Tricker's quite a bit.

dave

Reaction score
they do have the 1461s in cherry (just ordered a pair) but I hope they expand the 1460s to include cherry and black too. I think I may have to go for the navy ones as well. thanks for the heads up!

jkennett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dave
they do have the 1461s in cherry (just ordered a pair) but I hope they expand the 1460s to include cherry and black too. I think I may have to go for the navy ones as well. thanks for the heads up!
Wow! I didn't even notice that they had the shoes that are MIE. I still have a pair of brown leather made in england 1461's in good condition, as I rarely would wear them. The cherry shoes look really nice though, and they may become a future purchase. I just emailed Dr. Martens to see if they're going to expand their color selection on the MIE 1460, or possibly come out with some MIE1490 (fingers crossed). If I get a reply I'll let you all know. Get Smart- can you post a pic of your Navy 1460's? I'd be interested in seeing a non-stock photo. I might buy them, since this british production may not happen again.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
jkennet Thanks! I'm with you there all the way, I may have to wait. I'm not really fond of blue or green boots at the moment.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
call me nuts, but having my pair of old MIE docs from 1990 and comparing them to the current ones that are MIC, I actually prefer the current ones.

The toebox on the older MIE is a lot shorter than the current ones, which have a taller toebox that I prefer.

The color of the cherry red on the current ones is more "authentic" to the original color than my MIEs made in the 80s which had a more washed out cherry red color...the current cherry red has a deeper and darker color, which is how it should be

The sizing seems to have changed somewhere and the MIE size I used to wear is a bit too tight with the current MIC ones and I have to size up one to a US9

sacrilege, yes.

Jkennett, I've worn the navy docs in a few WAYWT pics which I'll post tomorrow

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had to look up psychobilly... man, talk about trying too hard, these pics say it all:

pic2_sm.jpg

ZGT_Logo_photoDesign.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads