• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What stereo(s) do you listen to? What do you want?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
Based on my experiences, I find the LP to be more accurate and true to what happened in the studio.

Dude, please stop.
baldy[1].gif

That's like saying a jpeg is more accurate and true to the original image than an an uncompressed image is. The master tape has all the info you're gonna get. By definition, anything that comes after the master will have "compromised" or lost information. The final record may just sound better than the original master, but by transfering to LP you can't add something that wasn't there to begin with. By definition, it is impossible for it to be more accurate.

Claming that by your experiences you think it is just makes you seem like a nutter. It is one thing to say that you like the sound of LPs or tube amps. Many people find them pleasing to the ear. It is another thing entirely to claim they are more accurate.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
Dude, please stop.
baldy[1].gif

That's like saying a jpeg is more accurate and true to the original image than an an uncompressed image is. The master tape has all the info you're gonna get. By definition, anything that comes after the master will have "compromised" or lost information. The final record may just sound better than the original master, but by transfering to LP you can't add something that wasn't there to begin with. By definition, it is impossible for it to be more accurate.

Claming that by your experiences you think it is just makes you seem like a nutter. It is one thing to say that you like the sound of LPs or tube amps. Many people find them pleasing to the ear. It is another thing entirely to claim they are more accurate.

I'm sorry you don't agree but I have significant experience working as an engineer on some very profitable and successful records. You learn things from doing. And there is often a big gap between theories and practice. And the implication that 16/44 CD is just not factually correct and I want members here to learn something about audio.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm sorry you don't agree but I have significant experience working on successful records. You learn things from doing. And the implication that 16/44 CD is just not factually correct and I want members here to learn something about audio.

We're not talking about CDs. You said an LP was more accurate than the original master. That is completely impossible.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
We're not talking about CDs. You said an LP was more accurate than the original master. That is completely impossible.

What?? I never said that. The master tape is always more accurate than the LP.

Edit: I see that I responded to a quote that referred to a master tape-I missed that. I was and have been referring to the CD discussion. Master tapes sound wonderful whether analog or hirez PCM.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And the implication that 16/44 CD is just not factually correct and I want members here to learn something about audio.

Spewing dogma isn't usually considered teaching.

--Andre

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm sorry you don't agree but I have significant experience working as an engineer on some very profitable and successful records.
I thought we established that you were an audio engineer the same way a garbageman is a sanitation engineer.

Etienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can I have your shoes then?
Soon... When his broker starts selling some on eBay.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
I thought we established that you were an audio engineer the same way a garbageman is a sanitation engineer.

How so?

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Andre Yew
Spewing dogma isn't usually considered teaching.

--Andre

There's nothing more dogmatic than an engineer like yourself with no real world recording experience.
teacha.gif

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's nothing more dogmatic than an engineer like yourself with no real world recording experience.
teacha.gif

So what do you call someone who keeps bringing up their own (constantly changing) qualifications without any kind of credible link to their claims, tries to discredit others based only on what they've read about them on the Internet, and tries to prove their claims by dropping famous names?

Or someone who can't seem to reconcile the fact that they enjoy a medium, and the fact that the medium is technically flawed?

Or someone who won't or can't address entirely reasonable points given to them unless it happened to agree with their world view already?

Or someone who lacks the intellectual curiousity to even try to see what the other side is talking about?

--Andre

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
uh oh. Not even lolcats can save this thread now...

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Andre Yew
So what do you call someone who keeps bringing up their own (constantly changing) qualifications without any kind of credible link to their claims, tries to discredit others based only on what they've read about them on the Internet, and tries to prove their claims by dropping famous names?

Or someone who can't seem to reconcile the fact that they enjoy a medium, and the fact that the medium is technically flawed?

Or someone who won't or can't address entirely reasonable points given to them unless it happened to agree with their world view already?

Or someone who lacks the intellectual curiousity to even try to see what the other side is talking about?

--Andre

I've spent numerous hours reading arguments on all sides of this topic but the ears are the best instrument for making judgments here on sound quality and clearly the vinyl record captures something that a 16/44 CD cannot.

Each storage format is flawed but the question is a relative rank ordering. I find LP to be much more satisfying than digital unless there is high resolution sampling like 24/96 or 24/192.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
uh oh. Not even lolcats can save this thread now...

What about a loldog:

funny-pictures-cat-greets-dog-at-door.jpg

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
clearly the vinyl record captures something that a 16/44 CD cannot.
I find LP to be much more satisfying than digital unless there is high resolution sampling like 24/96 or 24/192.

These two statements do not depend on each other. Just because you enjoy LP doesn't mean it captured something that CD did not. And just because a recording medium captures something more doesn't make it any more enjoyable.

--Andre

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads