• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does anyone wear a suit at home these days?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
we're forgetting that we all have more clothes than most people had then, and nobody wore sweats or jeans at home. so, I am guessing that it was only recently that people changed all their clothes when they walked in the door. they took off their jacket and maybe tie, and maybe put on a smoking jacket, robe or cardigan. or, if they didn't have those, they left on their jacket, too.

my father, when I was little and he wore one to work, would leave on his dress shoes, pants, shirt and tie until pretty much he went to bed. he would take off his jacket when he got home.

Twotone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another thought is that men during the 50's and 60's did not cross style or cultural boundaries then as much as they do now. Business men kept their work style at home as did blue collar workers. Now days, a hedge fund manager will take off his $10k bespoke suit and change into sweats when he gets home for a workout. Even the most stylishly dressed men now enjoy casual wear for play or sports.

Just a thought.

Twotone

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where does the term "leisure suit" come from then?

I'm the first person in my family to go to college so I can't say. My dad was in the military and wore his uniform pants with an undershirt around the house. My grandfather is long since retired from the military and was a carpenter, he wears his oil-stained Dickies all day long.

When I get home I strip out of my nicer clothes because I don't want them to endure wear when nobody else will see. I usually put on track pants and an undershirt, like what I'm wearing right now.

spectre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm confronted by two greyhounds and a German Shorthaired Pointer as soon as I walk through the door, so the suit comes off quickly and the sweats and t-shirts go on.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
we're forgetting that we all have more clothes than most people had then,

That's a good point (and not just because I was thinking the same thing).

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I never change at home.

Oh, you're a Never Nude?

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No - this preposterous.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
If we are having guests for dinner, I usually switch to a cardigan. If one of the guests has forgotten to bring his jacket then I give him the cardigan and stay in my suitcoat.

Duh?

Surprised you do not throw him out then. Surely a good host does njot make his guests feel ill at ease despite their shortcomings?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBR
No - this preposterous.

Originally Posted by GBR
Duh?

Surprised you do not throw him out then. Surely a good host does njot make his guests feel ill at ease despite their shortcomings?

Honestly, most male dinner guests show up at our house in a jacket. I don't care if they do or not, but that is pretty much the standard. I do the same at others' houses unless told otherwise. It is a courteous thing to do.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBR
Duh? Surprised you do not throw him out then. Surely a good host does njot make his guests feel ill at ease despite their shortcomings?
I agree, though it is not a shortcoming for a guest to fail to bring a jacket unless we have specified it in the invitation. Nor do I make the guest feel ill at ease. For example, if the cardigan would be too small I would simply overlook the issue. On one occasion this happened. I simply took my own jacket off to make the person feel more comfortable and, so as not to make the jacketless guest feel awkawrd, I told one of the other men to take his off too "if it would make him feel more comfortable" (i.e., I made it seem like it was for all our benefit, not just the man who didn't have a sportcoat).

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
What a bunch of pricks. Never invite me to your houses.

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
If we are having guests for dinner, I usually switch to a cardigan. If one of the guests has forgotten to bring his jacket then I give him the cardigan and stay in my suitcoat.

you require someone to wear a cardigan or jacket in your house? thats ridiculous

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads