• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

spacemanvt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i got serious knee boobs on my apc new standards after about 3 months of wear.

HATORI HANZO

Reaction score
Originally Posted by spacemanvt
i got serious knee boobs on my apc new standards after about 3 months of wear.

I did too. I felt mine up a little bit, but don't tell anybody.
bounce2.gif

spreadcollar

Reaction score
looking for raw denim similar to uniqlo regular fit bootcuts. they fit just right in the thigh/waist and these have a fairly small bootcut -- i hate large bootcut bottoms. . it would also be helpful if you knew whether i should size up/down from my uniqlo size in your recommendation. much thanks.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by spreadcollar
looking for raw denim similar to uniqlo regular fit bootcuts. they fit just right in the thigh/waist and these have a fairly small bootcut -- i hate large bootcut bottoms. . it would also be helpful if you knew whether i should size up/down from my uniqlo size in your recommendation. much thanks.
It sounds like you want something like a Bootcut Ola by Nudie. There are also a few Japanese repro companies (John Bull, for example) that do bootcuts as well. Knowing what your size is and perhaps measurements of these uniqlos might help narrow down your search a bit and help us out a lot with a better recommendation.

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bassounds
I'm not sure where to locate 5EP's, and the few places I've found sell limited sizes for >$250. I may be missing something?

Does it make any sense to buy washed nudies? especially in bootcut? (by bootcut, I mean no taper, and only subtle widening into the ankle). Perhaps Ernest Sewn would fit the bill? The Matthew Izzo shop is in my backyard so maybe I'll check out some ideas tomorrow.

AFAIK there is no brick & mortar store in Center City that sells 5EPs. Matthew Izzo is good for Nudies, I bought two pairs there.

Personally I mail-order my 5EPs or drop by Denimbar whenever I am in DC (Arlington).

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
It sounds like you want something like a Bootcut Ola by Nudie. There are also a few Japanese repro companies (John Bull, for example) that do bootcuts as well.

So from the looks of it, I take the Ola is a boot cut that is in between 5epLDB and Nudie Ralf? Or is the 5ep LDB the same or larger in the leg opening?

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by onion
So from the looks of it, I take the Ola is a boot cut that is in between 5epLDB and Nudie Ralf? Or is the 5ep LDB the same or larger in the leg opening?

It's about the same as the LDB in terms of the bootcut. It's much more subtle than the Ralf. My BOLA are one of my favorite pairs of jeans ever. The denim is very soft and comfortable, but won't fade like the dry selvage nudies. They will stay dark for awhile but develop nice streakiness.

gdc_2008

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdc_2008
I read some of the sizing posts regarding Samurai S5000VXs in this thread already...but am wondering if anyone has insight on how much the S5000VX will stretch in the thigh?

I have a semi used pair in a 30 waist...the waist is pretty much perfect, below the knee is perfect...but the thigh feels pretty tight. Its not skin tight as I can grab fabric, but they feel noticeably tight when walking around.

I'm guessing that maybe I am a 31 in these, but am hoping I can break them in. Any ideas how they'll wear?

Thanks

bounce2.gif

spreadcollar

Reaction score
is that true? i don't mind paying up for something good. this is going to be my "kickass" pair of jeans. in which case, maybe i should skip the bootcut? but i digress. i wear a 34 in the uniqlos, and that's my natural waist size. i also have some muscle to my thighs. thanks guys.

Originally Posted by constant struggle
also, the bootcut ola will fade horribly since the denim is pretty bad

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Gdc_2008, while I haven't owned any S5000s, my experience with other raw denim leads me to believe that they will stretch somewhat in the thigh, but I've never had anything other than APCs stretch really signficantly; so if they're tight now, they'll probably stay relatively tight. You can always try spraying the denim around the thighs with water, then wearing them and doing everything you can to stretch it. This might result in some pretty significant stretching in the knees, too, though.

Someone with more experience with the Samurai denim please correct me if I'm wrong.

jamoo

Reaction score
What're the key differences between the new KMWs and the China-made? Given the massive price difference, is the China version wearable? Thanks.

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by spreadcollar
is that true? i don't mind paying up for something good. this is going to be my "kickass" pair of jeans. in which case, maybe i should skip the bootcut? but i digress. i wear a 34 in the uniqlos, and that's my natural waist size. i also have some muscle to my thighs. thanks guys.
my friend had bootcut ola for over a year, they faded pretty ******

spoonman

Reaction score
So I purchased a pair of APC New Cures in a size 30 and they look good and I think they will stretch out to be a perfect fit. However, I have one problem with them. The jean ass from behind seems a little high. Is this something to do with the rise, or is it a yoke problem? Could I get this tailored to make it look lower, like a dropped yoke with the Thin Finn? Finally, does anyone know how much the Thin Finn yoke is dropped compared to a normal yoke?

km83

Reaction score
Originally Posted by constant struggle
my friend had bootcut ola for over a year, they faded pretty ******

agree 100%. they were my first pair of raw denim- so disappointing. slim jims were quite a bit better if you wanna go the 'reasonably' priced nudie route.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads